Storage Solutions HDD Prices may go up.. Edit: Gone up

HailStonE

Skilled
Sep 29, 2006
Western Digital Corp. said flooding in Thailand is having a "significant impact" on the hard-disk drive maker's operations and its ability to meet customer demand in the current quarter, adding supply concerns to an industry already hurt by weak consumer spending on PCs.

The flooding in Thailand, the world's second-largest exporter of hard-disk drives, comes during the key selling season for hard-disk drives, with PC makers obtaining supplies for holiday sales. Analysts said it likely will lead to higher prices and potential supply constraints later this year or early next year.

"The PC market has been demand challenged, but now it's also supply challenged," ThinkEquity analyst Rajesh Ghai said. "It's a double whammy."

Western Digital, the world's largest provider of hard-disk drives, said Monday it is extending the suspension of its Thailand operations amid the country's worst floods in half a century. About 60% of Western Digital's hard-disk drives come from its Thailand sites, and the majority of its hard-disk drives go to the PC market. In addition, many components companies also have suspended operations, hurting other disk-drive makers.

Western Digital plans to provide more details during its earnings conference call Wednesday.

Shares, down 22% in the year-to-date, dropped 6.8% to $26.42 in midafternoon trading Monday on the New York Stock Exchange.

Western Digital joins a list of tech providers affected by the supply-chain disruption, including hard-drive rival Seagate Technology Inc., component supplier Hutchinson Technology Inc. and chip makers ON Semiconductor Corp. and Microsemi Corp. The flood's impact also comes at a tough time for the companies, which saw disruption in the PC supply chain from an earthquake and tsunami in Japan earlier this year.

Analysts said the flooding in Thailand could have a greater impact on the hard-drive makers than the Japan quake, with more components suppliers affected. IDC analyst John Rydning estimates any factory outages longer than three weeks would hurt even the top PC makers, with hard-drive inventories recently running "on the lean side."

In addition, hard-disk drive makers are facing other challenges. Once an integral part of all PCs, disk drives now compete with flash-memory products to be the main storage device for everything from laptop PCs to computer servers.

And the boom in sales of Apple Inc.'s iPad and other tablets, which use flash memory chips instead of magnetic disks, poses a threat to the hard-drive makers.

Western Digital last year eclipsed Seagate to take the top spot in global shipments. Western Digital further cemented its lead earlier this year with its $4.3 billion bid for Hitachi Ltd.'s drive business, giving it 50% market share. Seagate's bid for Samsung Electronics Co.'s HDD unit will boost its portion of the market to 40%.

Over the weekend, rising waters inundated Western Digital's Bang Pa-in Industrial Park facilities, submerging some equipment, the company said. On Monday, waters started to flow into the Navanakorn Industrial Park, threatening its equipment there, as well.

The company's other facilities in Malaysia, Singapore and the U.S. remain fully operational, the company said.

Seagate last week said its production of hard drives will be constrained in the current quarter due to the flooding, though it said its Thailand factories are operational.

Seagate said it is unclear what the magnitude of the supply-chain disruption would be on its output. Seagate said it will provide its next update on Thailand during its earnings report Thursday.

"If this lingers on more than a quarter, there could be outright product not available," Needham analyst Richard Kugele said. "Right now there's definitely pretty dramatic shortages and pricing is increasing significantly."

With floods in Thailand WD is directly affected & the prices of HDD's are going to rise due to restricted supply. WD is down to only 40% production capacity while Seagate suppliers are also affected hence it would affect their other production facilities as well... The rise in dollar has also not helped the Indian buyers & most were postponing the HDD purchase. With the holiday season fast approaching in the west the supply would be seriously constrained & would probably show an impact in the price.

The current stock is depleting fast & prices have climbed to ~300-400 bucks already since last one month. :(

Source : -

Thai Floods Hit PC Supply Chain - WSJ.com

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomcoughlin/2011/10/17/thailand-floods-will-impact-hard-disk-drive-components/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/242071/western_digital_extends_suspension_of_operations_in_thailand.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomcoughlin/2011/10/17/flood-waters-in-thailand-deepen-crisis-at-hdd-companies/

HailStonE

Skilled
Sep 29, 2006
Re: HDD Prices may go up..

Bought one WD off eBay with the rock bottom price of 4484/- shipped but now same seller has increased the price to 4685/- .. :(

Had spoken to dvdstoredelhi & as per him no stock till Diwali... after that he can give the exact price since his stocks didn't come since last 10 days..

devesh38

Adept
Sep 11, 2008
Mumbai

good that i bought the WD HDD 2tb yesterday for 4.1k. i was thinking of waiting for one month and this news comes up.

HailStonE

Skilled
Sep 29, 2006

So it has begun.. Internationally prices jumped ~$40-50 since last few days & even in India its increasing fast. Last week bought 2 TB from a seller who is now selling it for 5499/- on eBay.. Locally also prices have increased pretty much with Deltapage selling it for 4600/- which was last week only 4k with them... :(

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai

WTF &*%$# .... Is this only for hdd's? I was planning on the barraduda XT 2TB..... And overall buying a new rig b4 diwali.

invinci

Disciple
Aug 26, 2011

yep rates are increased.
500gb is priced at Rs.2700 :O
1tb is priced around Rs.4000.
Why they are not making in India? :(

sydras

Skilled
Jul 11, 2006

Time for SSD manufcturers to grab a slice of the HDD market ;). If they reduce prices, now would be a perfect time to carve a niche for themselves.

Superbad

Skilled
May 26, 2009

Good that i purchased a 2TB at a killer price from prime a month back. :yahoo:
sometimes impulsive buys are profitable.

Emperor

Skilled
Jan 12, 2006

I don't know but sure that NOT WHOLE REGION affected by flood. They just looking for an opportunity (excuse) to raise the price & goods MERCY give them chance to increase it. :(

nish_pinto

Voyager.Fpv
Adept
Nov 6, 2008
Mumbai

The Cost of wd black is now somewhere around 5.6k. thank god i dint wait to buy the wd black. dihh:

viralbug

Skilled
Mar 7, 2007
Navi Mumbai

Emperor said:
I don't know but sure that NOT WHOLE REGION affected by flood. They just looking for an opportunity (excuse) to raise the price & goods MERCY give them chance to increase it. :(

Not really. The HDD production has gone down by more than 50% which is a serious number. Also, it seems that this will be the case for almost another year.

Those who need more space, get a hard drive as fast as you can before prices go up even more. Good that I bought a 2TB drive a month ago. I was deciding to sell one of my 1 TB hard drives, but I think I'll hold on to it in case I need more space.

Hope we now see SSDs raining all over and reduced prices.

anfjavid

Skilled
Dec 16, 2006

today the price of 500GB is 3.5k OMG.....

was about to build a pc for my cousin. Now decided to use a old IDE hDD for now. Will buy new one after the prices are normal...

And even other components increased and these are cuz of dollar rate..

Dealers will be minting money in hdds till the end of december. Moreover this is diwali season and people arent bothered about the price....

HailStonE

Skilled
Sep 29, 2006

^.. Where did you got that rate... Its ~2.9 k right now. Also it will be actually distris & larger resellers who would mint money with older stock. The new stock will be based on current dollar rate & the actual effects of Thailand flood would be seen... Right now this price rise is just due to speculation...

anfjavid

Skilled
Dec 16, 2006

@hailstone- The min. price i got on 25th is 3.1k. And thats an offer price for opening ceremony of a shop. MAY I KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GETTING AT THAT PRICE ??. But still its not very cheap. So my cousin decided to use his old IDE hdd for now..

Hope it will come down to normal in a fortnight