HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

Gannu said:
As far as I know, both the panels have the ethernet port at the back (which enables connectivity with a NAS), supports the same set of audio-video formats, supports AllShare and Anynet+.

@bublez: If the motion interpolation tech. is not important (i.e. you do not watch much of the sports channels and can live with the occasional blur), you can safely invest in the C550.
What about wireless connectivity to wireless routers? From Samsung page it looks like only C630 has and not C550? Basically does these 2 have wifi?

I am going to play PC/PS3 games mostly action / racing. I am assuming the additional freq is going to benefit these as well. True?

buBleZ said:
What about wireless connectivity to wireless routers? From Samsung page it looks like only C630 has and not C550?
To make things simpler, could you download the user's manual from the first link in my previous post? And refer to Page 21 which explains the Network Connection. :)

buBleZ said:
I am going to play PC/PS3 games mostly action / racing. I am assuming the additional freq is going to benefit these as well. True?

To an extent yes. Those blurs during fast moving images would not be noticeable but movies would look like soap operas.

buBleZ said:
So If I understand you correct the blacks are richer in LCDs and you are recommending LCDs over Plasmas?

Not all lcds only the ones from samsung/sony or other lcd tvs with a SPVA or UV2A panel.

The local dimming sets from other manufactures are also quite good but not at pixel level blacks.

Bublez, viewing angles, absolute blacks in plasmas and motion handling are all superior to LCD.

Those local-dimming LCDs only achieve their black levels with zero input, at any other input levels, plasma black levels > LCD black levels.

Quote from HDTVTest's Panny 46VT20 review.

In the best possible conditions (that is, with a fully black screen in a darkened room), the nearly-new Panasonic TX-P46VT20B review sample reached down to 0.013 cd/m2, meaning that it produced deep, inky blacks which are nearly as dark as the flagship TX-P50VT20 model. Unlike LCD-based displays, dark areas are a perfectly uniform shade with absolutely no inconsistency (except for rare cases where the Plasma TV is suffering from temporary image retention). Although some LCD TVs are managing very impressive blacks these days, no consumer-grade LCD panels avoid some slight brightness inconsistency across the panel surface, and certainly none can show a deep shade of black when viewed from the sides. Panasonic’s Plasma televisions still take the crown both in terms of absolute darkness (although only just!), and certainly in terms of the consistency of black areas.

David Mackenzie, in the comments section:

The Samsungs have better Film Mode detection (for interlaced film signals) and SMOOTHER upscaling.

The Panasonics have no Film Mode detection at all (jaggies in interlaced film signals) but SHARPER upscaling.

The Sonys have good Film Mode detection and standard upscaling.

I’m not sure what the situation is in Poland – here in the UK, noise is not an issue since we use Digital TV broadcasting (we get compression artefacts instead…). For that reason, a TV’s noise reduction is of no use to us. It’s true that Panasonic’s NR control doesn’t do much, so if you have a weak/noisy analogue TV connection, this could be an issue.

^^ Its too techie for me to understand :ashamed:

I require a TV that can handle STB, DTV HD, PS3, PC Games, HD movies well in a moderately lit to dark room with decent connectivity options and wireless network connectivity watching at a distance of 10feet around a budget of 60K

Well again not all plasma the edge in blacks and the same time not all lcds have good blacks either.

HDTVtest.co.uk measurements of a typical samsung/sony CCFL lcd with a SPVA or UV2A panel has a ANSI black level of 0.03 to 0.040 cd/m2 which is about the same as a panasonic VT20 ANSI black level of 0.044 cd/m2.

Effect of ambient light plays a huge role in tvs black level.

Davod Mackenzie on a base model 32" Sony lcd,
At our calibrated target levels (which set peak white at around 112 cd/m2), blacks measured at 0.06 cd/m2. This is excellent for an LCD television, and is indeed a better result than some cheaper Plasma TVs, particularly 2009 models. Indeed, when used in a brighter room, the Sony KDL32EX403U fought the ambient light brilliantly and displayed deep blacks, instead of turning grey like a Plasma display would.

From HT mag tv shoot out in 2009 between 5 tvs panasonic G10 plasma and a Sony v550 series included with 4 panelists reviewing the tv under pitch dark conditions and then the room lights turned On.

While the plasma still had a better pic- ture off axis, the Sony’s color fidelity was far more natural and consistent, which is entirely inconsistent with my overall experience with LCDs. To top it off, turning on even a little room light killed the plasma, while the Sony still looked awesome. I’m a kook who prioritizes nighttime movie watching, but the Sony had the better blacks with the lights out, too. So my little world was really turned upside down. I’m a plasma guy. I own a plasma. I love my plasma! But this Sony was the best of the bunch."

Overall, the Panasonic plasma came in at a very close second on my scorecard, earning just three points less than the Sony. The Panasonic handled motion admirably and had very acceptable color and shadow detail. But its black level dropped substantially when the room lights were on, and that alone was enough to lose it my first-place vote.

So to sum it up a irrespective of whether its a plasma or lcd may have the best blacks but ambient light dictates the final contrast outcome.
This area most lcd (except glass finish sony NX ) have the edge.There huge brightness capability can also come very handy in defeating glare especially in noon time like in my house which has multiple windows in east and a single window in west.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

buBleZ said:

I require a TV that can handle STB, DTV HD, PS3, PC Games, HD movies well in a moderately lit to dark room with decent connectivity options and wireless network connectivity watching at a distance of 10feet around a budget of 60K
As said by others the samsung series 6 lcd is a excellent choice in lcds.

If you go the plasma way then its the V20.

buBleZ said:

I'll reiterate - if it is the LCD the Samsung LA40C630. If it is the PDP, Viera 40VT20. Period!

delhiboy1000 said:
I plan to buy a 32" LCD for my folks' bedroom. It will be used with TataSky & good SD content PQ is most important than the other things.
I have a 3yr old Samsung LA32R81B in my room & am satisfied with it. Is there a equivalent model/series currently ? "HD-ready" will do just fine, no need for FHD.

Anything that you guys can suggest within the 20k approx range? would prefer B & W.

can anyone help me on this ??

Hi,

I have a budget ranging from 40-60k (lesser I spend the better :p) but the limiting factor for me is the viewing distance which would be around 5-10 feet, depending on the placement. I am tossing between a high-end 32" LCD (possibly with LED backlighting) and a good 40" LCD. I haven't gone through too much of this thread but I think I am looking at Samsung 32C630/32C650/40C630 and Sony 32EX600. I would be buying from a retail chain as I also have to exchange my old 29" CRT. Any informed opinion would be much appreciated.

Hey guys how is the "Sony KLV-32NX500 LCD 32 inch TV", my dad prefers Sony to others a lot and i was wondering if someone has some views on this model. And also does it play mkv, divx etc files via its usb port? Please help! Thanks.

Aman27deep said:
Hey guys how is the "Sony KLV-32NX500 LCD 32 inch TV", my dad prefers Sony to others a lot and i was wondering if someone has some views on this model. And also does it play mkv, divx etc files via its usb port? Please help! Thanks.
None of the Sony TVs play the mkv files. Only the Samsung and LG models do. Besides this panel has a glossy glass front which adds to a lot of glare if the ambient lighting conditions in the room are poor. Grab the 32EX400 and maybe a standalone media player so you can connect a portable drive to the player and watch the media. Cheap ones retail for as low as 6k these days.

Gannu said:
None of the Sony TVs play the mkv files. Only the Samsung and LG models do. Besides this panel has a glossy glass front which adds to a lot of glare if the ambient lighting conditions in the room are poor. Grab the 32EX400 and maybe a standalone media player so you can connect a portable drive to the player and watch the media. Cheap ones retail for as low as 6k these days.
Thanks man, i think i'll have to convince him to set the Samsung one then :p

Well the 2011 Sony models have started to appear on Sony india website.
The indian website as limited info but if its the same as the international models.It will have higher media playback support,one can also recored content to USB based storage device.

It also has a opera browser built in.

adder said:
^With a budget of around 25k and a viewing distance of 6feet get a 32'' .
The 26'' panels may be of unknown make and possibly of inferior tech.It won't be much of a upgrade say from a 21" crt.

You can get a realy good 32'' EX400 from grey market,i hear its available for as low as 26.5k in calcutta.
In the showroom you can go with samsung c530.
Got the samsung c530 sq panel for 29k. Lets see how it turns out. I am happy with the pic quality on display at showroom.

neomustdie said:
Got the samsung c530 sq panel for 29k. Lets see how it turns out. I am happy with the pic quality on display at showroom.
Neat pricing there! I am assuming it is an SPVA panel. Could you let us know what it is anyway? Look for the sticker at the right side of the panel and tell us what the version number reads. :)

Gannu said:
Neat pricing there! I am assuming it is an SPVA panel. Could you let us know what it is anyway? Look for the sticker at the right side of the panel and tell us what the version number reads. :)
He said SQ in his post.

^Missed it. :ashamed:

It appears that all 32inchers in the C530 is a confirmed SPVA panel. Good news for someone who's planning to pick up a 32 incher. :D

Can someone give the lowest price price of Samsung 32C530 in Delhi, have to pick up 2 pcs - lowest in Shimla is 33k- which i think is tooo hi

Guys going a bit OT, but how do you start the subtitles when watching a video through the usb player on the Samsung 40C530 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back