HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

Lord Nemesis said:
I guess I can stick to 32" Itself and look for the best display in my budget. How much does the 32D6000 cost? Is it available officially?

One more thing, I know 1080p and 720p are the standard resolutions output over HDMI, but do any of these LCD TV's support any resolutions between like 1600 x 900 or something like that?
Not sure about the exact resolution supported but the previous samsung like of 2008 did support the following 640 x 480,800 x 600,1024 x 768,1280 x 1024,1360 x 768,1600 x 1200,1920x1080 .The new 3d tvs support additional resolution.

Yes the 32D6000 is officialy available cost around 53k street if i remember correctly.

I do not understand why so much emphasis on a 3d tv. Is there even any sizeable content on 3d to justify the investment?

adder said:
A monitor won't make a good tv,it has no de-interlacer,poor upscaler,poor speaker if they have any.

A 32" tv should be fine like a samsung 32D6000 its a 3d tv and will also work fine with a PC.
37" tv are rare to find,they also can come with crappy panel tech.
exactly, well said

ggt said:
I do not understand why so much emphasis on a 3d tv. Is there even any sizeable content on 3d to justify the investment?
The thing is 3D tvs also have superior 2d performance due to various factors such as superior panel,motion and picture processing.

adder said:
Not sure about the exact resolution supported but the previous samsung like of 2008 did support the following 640 x 480,800 x 600,1024 x 768,1280 x 1024,1360 x 768,1600 x 1200,1920x1080 .The new 3d tvs support additional resolution.

Yes the 32D6000 is officialy available cost around 53k street if i remember correctly.
Ok, thanks. one more question, I understand that these 3D TV's require purchase of 3D Glasses to use the 3D Feature. How much do those things cost? Considering I am myopic and wear glasses already, how can I wear the 3D glasses at all? Basically what I want to know is if the 3DTV thing is of any use for people who wear glasses? In case that is not useful, wouldn't it be better to stick to a 5 series display with a 100Hz refresh rate ?

Btw, what kind of panel tech is used in these value 3D TV's. Is it safe to assume that it would be TN or is there any chance of VA as well ?

Lord Nemesis said:
Ok, thanks. one more question, I understand that these 3D TV's require purchase of 3D Glasses to use the 3D Feature. How much do those things cost? Considering I am myopic and wear glasses already, how can I wear the 3D glasses at all? Basically what I want to know is if the 3DTV thing is of any use for people who wear glasses? In case that is not useful, wouldn't it be better to stick to a 5 series display with a 100Hz refresh rate ?

3D glasses are designed to accommodate regular glasses if needed. So that wont be a problem. The glasses cost around Rs.4000 for replaceable battery and Rs.8000 for rechargeable. And you usually get a pair or two of glasses along with samsung tvs.

1. Budget.
15K (+-2)

2. Viewing distance.
4-6Fts

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
USB (avi or mkv videos)/ Airtel DTH

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
No preference

5. Preference for brands.
No Preference

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
preferably not

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.
moderate light

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.
no

i basically want it in the bedroom as a second tv (~24 inch) where i can play movies via usb hopefully.. if not possible then attach the VGA out of the pc.

Lord Nemesis said:

Btw, what kind of panel tech is used in these value 3D TV's. Is it safe to assume that it would be TN or is there any chance of VA as well ?
Not sure about the using 3d glasses with regular 3d glasses.Best to take a demo.

The series 5 has clear motion 100 which uses backlight scanning only.The series 6 has that along with AMP(Auto Motion Plus) similar to Sony motionflow.
Yes they come with a VA panel.
If you are not intrested in 3d samsung will also launch the D650 which is similar to series 6 LED-lcd except that the D650 lcd lacks the 3d and smart tv feature it will however have the AMP.

Lord Nemesis said:
^^ How do I identify which ones have the VA Panel?
All models have a VA panel except for 22" and some 26",27" displays.

If you want to identify which type of VA panel you are getting then you will have to look at the sticker behind the tv (usually located at the sides )for letters SQxx,H3xx are SPVA panels,AAxx are AMVA,CN01 are SMVA.(where XX are numbers like 01,02,03 etc)

If you don't want the panel lottery and want a SPVA panel then you can go for the Sony displays but they won't support all types of resolution.

Alright.. got it. Can you also suggest some more competitive models from other brands as well.

1. Budget. -> 25-30K

2. Viewing distance. -> 8-10 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. -> Airtel HD DTH / USB (.mkv, .avi, .mpg)

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. -> LED (if possible) / LCD

5. Preference for brands. -> Sony / Samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? -> Yes (Lajpat Rai Market)

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. -> Moderate

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. -> None

Sunil

sunilyo said:
1. Budget. -> 25-30K

2. Viewing distance. -> 8-10 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. -> Airtel HD DTH / USB (.mkv, .avi, .mpg)

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. -> LED (if possible) / LCD

5. Preference for brands. -> Sony / Samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? -> Yes (Lajpat Rai Market)

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. -> Moderate

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. -> None
Sunil
Since you willing to buy from the grey market,for your budget you can get a 32" lcd Sony 32CX520 for around 26k to 27k.
But for you viewing distance a 40" is better but that will cost you around 37k for a 40BX420 and 42k for 40CX520 which has the X-reality processor.

In Chennai the 40" cx520 costs around 39k mate. Seems the prices have gone down. However no idea about the current price of 32" but surely it must be lesser than the above price....

And i have a doubt. Will the bx420 support mpeg4 and is it launched in 40" ?

Dropped by the Samsung Plaza near my office today. I was given quotes of 30.5k for LA32D550, 38.5k for LA32D5000, LA32D6000 for 51k. They also had the LA40C650 for 51k. The LA40C650 looked pretty amazing. Unfortunately they didn't have the LA32D5000 on display, but they do have stocks of it in storage. I think my choice boils down to LA32D5000 and LA40C650.

Lord Nemesis said:
Dropped by the Samsung Plaza near my office today. I was given quotes of 30.5k for LA32D550, 38.5k for LA32D5000, LA32D6000 for 51k. They also had the LA40C650 for 51k. The LA40C650 looked pretty amazing. Unfortunately they didn't have the LA32D5000 on display, but they do have stocks of it in storage. I think my choice boils down to LA32D5000 and LA40C650.
Between the 2 the 40C650 is the obvious choice,but is that a new piece or a display unit.But don't you think its a bit big for a monitor .The D5000 doesn't have anything except for the LED ,where as the D5500 or the D6000 are smart tvs,which has lots of applications.

^^ Yeah, size, weight (22Kg) and power consumption (190W) are the main issues with 40C650. I do have barely enough space to keep it as a secondary display. But I would be only 4~6 feet away from the display.

If I do want to take it, they have 4 sealed units in stock (last of the stocks which he wants to clear as soon as possible) apart from the one on display. The guy over there was honest enough with those aspects. For the 32C650, he said the last remaining unit is a demo piece and was very frank in mentioning it.

As for The 32D5000, yeah it is Edge LED with Ultra clear panel and has CMR100, nothing much except that. No AMP support which I guess most people were forced to switch off anyway. However it has the advantage of slim form factor, weight (10Kg with stand and 7 without) and power consumption is only 80W max.

The power consumption of the 40C650 will not hit the max power unless you put the backlight ,sound to max and also have all the USB ports occupied.
Typically under good optimum settings it should consume around 90watt or less.
But at 4 feet to 6 feet away its recommended to get a 32" tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back