HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The "Help me buy an HDTV" thread!

@Desecrator - Any thing i have to look out for when choosing the panel ? As in some serial number/model number thingy ?

@Gannu thanks for the help and info. I think I should buy LCD from India, as customs and carrying it from US-India will be PITA

Will be booking the panel on Monday mostly. Will try to get the maximum discount as diwali is also near. The guy in Jumbo seemed pretty desperate the way he was offering discounts.

i need to buy one soon.. here's what i need for the hall. I intend to buy 2 but for the bedroom i prolly will use a smaller one sometime later.

For now :

1) Budget - max 38,000/-
2) Brand Pref - LG/Sony *Not sure about samsung. (I know the LG LH80FR was one great LCD.. but i guess its old and out now?) Sony i know are always overpriced. Philips i dont wanna touch for their history of extremely expensive after sales. Sharp are cheaper but again no idea. Panasonic - I dont wanna risk it, have heard few horror stories.
3) Pref : LED/LCD must be Full HD though
4) Viewing distance - around 10 feet
5) Input Pref - I have a tatasky plus connection. Will get a good dvd player sometime later, but usually dont watch too many on the TV. May get an xbox 360 connected too.
6) Grey Market - NO
7) Warranty - as long as possible. I know LG usually has great after sales support

Also i currently have a Philps 25'' Powervision which has lasted me really well and long.. but as with everything, the exchange value these guys offer are pathetic. Is there anything i can do with this TV or should i consider exchanging it for whatever best i can bargain for?

TIA!

Shakensoul said:
Is there any way to find out what type of IPS panel panasonic uses ? :p
Well if the tv size is 42" and above its mostly a LG panel.Panasonic was supposed to start producing its own 42" this year or early next year.

adder said:
Well if the tv size is 42" and above its mostly a LG panel.Panasonic was supposed to start producing its own 42" this year or early next year.
Besides, Panasonic doesn't retail anything beyond 42" LCD TVs in the country. And they are kind enough to let the user know the type of panel used. :p

If an IPS Alpha panel is used, they mention it in the link. If not, they simply mention it as IPS panel.

VIERA LCD TV | Digital AV | Panasonic India

@Shaken: You have the plain IPS panel supplied by LG going by the link. :p

mach9 said:
i need to buy one soon.. here's what i need for the hall. I intend to buy 2 but for the bedroom i prolly will use a smaller one sometime later.

For now :

1) Budget - max 38,000/-
2) Brand Pref - LG/Sony *Not sure about samsung. (I know the LG LH80FR was one great LCD.. but i guess its old and out now?) Sony i know are always overpriced. Philips i dont wanna touch for their history of extremely expensive after sales. Sharp are cheaper but again no idea. Panasonic - I dont wanna risk it, have heard few horror stories.
3) Pref : LED/LCD must be Full HD though
4) Viewing distance - around 10 feet
5) Input Pref - I have a tatasky plus connection. Will get a good dvd player sometime later, but usually dont watch too many on the TV. May get an xbox 360 connected too.
6) Grey Market - NO
7) Warranty - as long as possible. I know LG usually has great after sales support

Also i currently have a Philps 25'' Powervision which has lasted me really well and long.. but as with everything, the exchange value these guys offer are pathetic. Is there anything i can do with this TV or should i consider exchanging it for whatever best i can bargain for?

TIA!
CRT TVs do not fetch much nowadays. Perhaps a couple of grands and that's pretty much a shopkeeper is willing to reduce the price from the TV he is willing to sell you. This one ends up in the seconds after that.

A decent 32incher from Samsung/Sony fits your budget perfectly. Or you could go with one of those cheaper Toshiba 42inch Regza LCDs (I am not aware of the model number) which costs roughly about 40k and thereabouts - perhaps a bit cheaper because of Dussera/Diwali discounts. TBH you are much better with a TV that gives you a good PQ over another that gives you an poor PQ, bad color reproduction, inferior upscaling capabilities but has a larger real estate - come to think of it. I would recommend you the Samsung 32C550 or the Sony 32EX400 - fits your budget perfectly. I suppose the viewing distance can be adusted for a 32 inch LCD.

I am not aware of any LG model apart from the LH90 series - used to have deep blacks, brilliant PQ, crisp color reproduction and a decent SD upscaling ability. But I suppose this model is EOL now since LG has not put up this model in their site here - LG HDTV LCD, Widescreen Plasma & 3D LED Television, TFT TVs.

All the HDTVs minus Panasonic's offerings have a 1 year warranty. Panasonic offers a 3 year warranty on their lineup.

LG offers warranty extention p to 5 years ....is it true??

a LG ex. dealer told me this .

is burn in covered in warranty( plasma)

anyone has any experience with the BESTLCDDEAL.com guy?

his prices are way less than what we get in shops and he gives with bill& warranty with free goodies , catch point is he has no shop , and he doesnt want no money upfront , just cash at delivery which is 48 hours after booking

what could be the problem , defective pieces?/ physically damaged ones?

is this Hyderabad only or metros only or all over india( will send him a message about eh same)

Desecrator said:
Besides, Panasonic doesn't retail anything beyond 42" LCD TVs in the country. And they are kind enough to let the user know the type of panel used. :p

If an IPS Alpha panel is used, they mention it in the link. If not, they simply mention it as IPS panel.

VIERA LCD TV | Digital AV | Panasonic India
P

Its good that they mention,but for the unmentioned ones ,I remember once seeing a model in 2008 ,it was a base 32" panasonic model it wasn't advertised as IPS ALPHA panel,but it had pixel structure resembling either a CMO or a chungwa picture ,what caught my attention was the poor viewing angle far worse then SPVA or AMVA let alone IPS.

Got the Samsung LA40C530. All thanks to Gannu and Amol.

Got the SQ version.

Got it for 45k and 42k with exchange of a 29" Sony Flat CRT.

I took the Airtel HD Connection coupon and need 750 to pay as activation or installation charge.

1. I want to know, do I get a wall mount along with the TV?

2. Does the wall mount come in the TV box or it comes seperately?

3. What is the ideal height to wall mount it?

4. Why is the LA40C530 model not listed on Samsung's India site?

^^
Congrats mate, you got it much cheaper than I did.

1 - Samsung representative will visit you shortly with the wall mounting kit and will wall mount it for you anytime within 6 months after purchase, for free.
2 - It comes seperately as mentioned in pt 1, and is free.
3 - When you view the TV, your eye level should be slightly above the bottom portion of the panel.
4 - No idea, I had the same doubt.

Enjoy life in Full HD. I got my Airtel activated and installed as well and NGC HD looks stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back