HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The "Help me buy an HDTV" thread!

I went to the ICE expo being held in our city (Hyd) today to chk out some HD TVs. Luckily, the Panasonic section had the 42V20D and 42X20D next to each other playing the Ice Age 3 blu ray. Both sets were calibrated to the same settings.

I also tried the Hell Boy 2 blu ray and Avatar DVD which i had carried along on these sets and once again, on the blu ray , the performance was similar or mostly the same to my eyes.

Infact, in some scenes, the 40X20D seemed to show more clarity.

Avatar SD dvd looked less than satisfactory on both TVs.

To be honest, i could not notice much difference in the performance of both these sets. They were priced at 64,990 and 39,990 respectively.

Before i reached here, i was pretty sure abt buying the 42V20D but after looking at the performance, im thinking abt the 42X20D as the price difference is quite considerable.

Also on the adjacent wall, they had the 50U20D and the 50X20D sets and i found that the 50X20D was performing better even though it wasnt Full HD while the former is. These were priced at 71,990 and 61,990 respectively.

Im tempted to either buy the 42X20 or go for the 50X20. What shd i do? Shd i stick to the 42V20D as i had originally planned considering it has better specs? Coz honestly i couldnot spot much difference in video quality on these sets.

sugat123 said:
I want to buy HDTV :
1. Budget. Max 45,000/-

2. Viewing distance. 10 - 12ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - PS3, DTH

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. No preference

5. Preference for brands. Sony/Samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. Nothin fancy. Just regular lighting.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. Full HD/ Good picture quality/good gaming experience

Thanks
Samsung 40C530 for you. It is a notch below your budget but IINW I have seen some awesome quotes like 48~49k for the C550. I believe the C530 should fit within your budget if you can extend your budget a bit. Stay away from the Bravia 40BX400. Although Sony advertises it as using the BE3, it is nowhere in comparison to the 40EX400 which costs a lot more, uses *the* BE3 engine and has a SPVA panel supplied by SLCD. The panel for the 40BX400 is supplied by a lesser known OEM.

Vandal said:
Gannu, one of the things most people miss is the minimum distance required to avoid rapid eye movement, especially viewing fast action scenes. It's also a bit too subjective to measure. Any dope available on this?
I believe the viewing distance should cover that aspect. I am sure some of us may not be able to perceive the differences though.

47Shailesh said:
1. Budget.

$1100

2. Viewing distance.

8-10 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.

Tata sky/Airtel DTH

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.

LED/LCD TV

5. Preference for brands.

Sony, Panasonic, Philips, etc (Not Samsung)

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?

No, Will buy it from online store, where ever I get best price.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.

Can be controlled

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

3D not required

9. Biggest concern is shipping to India from US(Air India). Also I would like to know

how much I've to pay Custom Duty. If the risk and cost is more then I will buy LCD from India.

Current models i'm looking at:

Samsung LN46C630K1F (~$900 at BestBuy)

Getting it from the US is a bad idea if warranty is a concern for you. In which case, you are better off buying it from the grey market instead. They let you test the TV for any possible dead/stuck pixels or backlight bleeding. Grey market pricing in India, Mumbai for instance is pretty much aggressive although you cannot match a US/Sgp/HK/Thai pricing for the same HDTVs. Besides, transportation and customs duties are bound to be a pain in the scrotum! Needless to say, customs will kill the deal.

The LN46C630 is the same model as the LA46C630 (the difference being N & A, N stands for North America and A for Asia, E for Europe; L for LCD, 46 for the size of the panel, C for the year of launch which is 2010 - B was 2009 and A was 2008, 6 for the series the TV belongs to and 30 for the aesthetics department - 50 has the touch of color; that is the Samsung coding system for you! :p)

This TV costs in excess of 80k here in India, almost twice the price you are paying there! If you can ensure a safe delivery to your local location, nothing like it. Possible alternatives - Sony 46EX600/46EX700, Philips 40PFL7505/7705 if it fits within the 1100USD budget. Please keep in mind you are bound to have issues with the NTSC and PAL incompatibility if you using a SD DTH service. HD DTH service shouldn't be a concern.
amigoatul said:
I went to the ICE expo being held in our city (Hyd) today to chk out some HD TVs. Luckily, the Panasonic section had the 42V20D and 42X20D next to each other playing the Ice Age 3 blu ray. Both sets were calibrated to the same settings.

I also tried the Hell Boy 2 blu ray and Avatar DVD which i had carried along on these sets and once again, on the blu ray , the performance was similar or mostly the same to my eyes.

Infact, in some scenes, the 40X20D seemed to show more clarity.

Avatar SD dvd looked less than satisfactory on both TVs.

To be honest, i could not notice much difference in the performance of both these sets. They were priced at 64,990 and 39,990 respectively.

Before i reached here, i was pretty sure abt buying the 42V20D but after looking at the performance, im thinking abt the 42X20D as the price difference is quite considerable.

Also on the adjacent wall, they had the 50U20D and the 50X20D sets and i found that the 50X20D was performing better even though it wasnt Full HD while the former is. These were priced at 71,990 and 61,990 respectively.

Im tempted to either buy the 42X20 or go for the 50X20. What shd i do? Shd i stick to the 42V20D as i had originally planned considering it has better specs? Coz honestly i couldnot spot much difference in video quality on these sets.
The P42X20D is not a full HD display and investing in one today is not worth it IMO. The pricing for the 42V20D is close to 60k in the outlets. Although Panasonic uses the same G13 panel for both the displays, in reality the performance between both the panels is a lot different. The X20 misses on a lot of specs as well. I believe you have a lot of blu ray titles (going by the market section threads) - you should invest in the V20 IMO.

Thanks again for ur suggestion Gannu.

I'll mostly go for the 42V20D. I also need a BD player and Sony 370 looks good enuf. Any idea whether Sony is still giving the 2 free blu rays even now. If so, what movies are those?

Whats the best price for this player?

^Honestly I have no ideas (rather keep no track!) concerning the BD players in the market. Perhaps, someone else can comment. I think you are referring to the sub 10k player which Sony had announced this Diwali.

Hey and besides, X20 doesn't support 10/12 bit Deep Color processing. So when future video formats support this future, this HDTV will not be able to drive them.

The Doc had told me that Panasonic is hosting some event at the Gateway hotel today displaying their HDTV lineup. I will be paying a visit probably. Shall keep this thread updated. :p

Desecrator said:
The LN46C630 is the same model as the LA46C630 (the difference being N & A, N stands for North America and A for Asia, E for Europe; L for LCD, 46 for the size of the panel, C for the year of launch which is 2010 - B was 2009 and A was 2008, 6 for the series the TV belongs to and 30 for the aesthetics department - 50 has the touch of color; that is the Samsung coding system for you! :p)

nice info :)

Going out to Jumbo and Vijay Sales today. Will try to get a list of prices and post here for others too :)

The best price i got for the 42V20D plasma here in Hyderabad is 63K. Can anyone help with finding a better offer than this in my city?

You could post the details here or PM me with the name of the shop/dealer, contact number and the price offered.

...I have heard of people on other forumns gotten it for 60K look around and bargain more.

I dont know of a dealer there though...

I am in a greater dilemma now! The dealer called up Doc and told him that the 40C630 wouldn't be available until Diwali. Furthermore, he cannot assure if we would get our panels by then. I am now thinking of switching to the 40C550 or the Sony 40EX500. Sony misses out on the media playing abilities (Honestly I don't mind this since the PS3 will take care of that aspect) but the price for the EX500 is at least 10k more than what we had agreed to pay for the C630 which is 58k. The lack of 100Hz tech would certainly be an issue to me since I would be using the panel for gaming through the console(s) and watching movies. Besides, the S.U.R.E. program wouldn't let these retailers to budge a bit from the retail pricing of the Bravia lineup. :mad:

Frigging bunch of morons! Hell, can't they source 2 panels from Mumbai or Ahmedabad? :mad:

If I get LG 32LD650 @ 23000/- yes it's right..(costing 38000/- in local market), will it be a good choice? Since my monitor is gone bad and I m considering to buy LCD TV but my brother said he will bring a very good LCD/LED TV(samsung) next year from foreign.... therefore i have to limit my budget.... Will LG LD650(32",full hd, etc) will be a good monitor/TV against Samsung PX2370 LED monitor(23",full HD),displaywise? I will primary used this as my PC monitor and i use PC for surfing,movies,games....

^Mumbai is essentially next door ....why not buy it here and at a better price!

jith77 said:
^Mumbai is essentially next door ....why not buy it here and at a better price!
I wish I can but the fact that the dealer promised me a SQ/SS panel was too tempting to let the offer go off. :(

I'll be paying a visit to the dealer and giving him a piece of my mind. Possibly today or tomorrow. Anyways, I shall keep this thread updated.

Desecrator said:
I am in a greater dilemma now! The dealer called up Doc and told him that the 40C630 wouldn't be available until Diwali. Furthermore, he cannot assure if we would get our panels by then. I am now thinking of switching to the 40C550 or the Sony 40EX500. Sony misses out on the media playing abilities (Honestly I don't mind this since the PS3 will take care of that aspect) but the price for the EX500 is at least 10k more than what we had agreed to pay for the C630 which is 58k. The lack of 100Hz tech would certainly be an issue to me since I would be using the panel for gaming through the console(s) and watching movies. Besides, the S.U.R.E. program wouldn't let these retailers to budge a bit from the retail pricing of the Bravia lineup. :mad:

Frigging bunch of morons! Hell, can't they source 2 panels from Mumbai or Ahmedabad? :mad:
Well aren't you going to turn OFF any motion enhancing stuff for gaming ,assuming you play FPS games? BTW EX500 does have 100hz or did you meant for the samsung C5xx.
If purchasing the Sony there is always the grey market EX500 is priced at 55k or below.

Just came back from Jumbo.

UA32C5000QM LED - The label price was 49.9k. Plus the Airtel HD DTH was free. The guy promised to replace it with a cash discount plus additional discount. Total he said would be around 43-44k. Also 0% EMI option is available.

Seems like a good deal. Will be booking around diwali. Anything to look out for ? And anywhere else should i try for a better deal ?

I need to buy a 32" LCD. Reputed brand. Not bothered with specs much, would be gifting it to The Sister. But budget is a bit tight, in the range of 27K. Also, I need to get it to Calcutta next week. Would it be a good idea to lug it all the way to Cal if I am getting a good deal in Bombay?

adder said:
Well aren't you going to turn OFF any motion enhancing stuff for gaming ,assuming you play FPS games? BTW EX500 does have 100hz or did you meant for the samsung C5xx.

If purchasing the Sony there is always the grey market EX500 is priced at 55k or below.
Yeah definitely. I would love to turn off the 100Hz tech during gaming. I don't think I'd be playing much FPS titles on the TV apart from KZ3 and Resistance 3 which is due next year. Besides, I am not hooking this display to the PC either. Grey isn't an option ATM since I am a bit scared. Should something go wrong later I'm screwed! Anyways keeping fingers crossed for now. :p

PhOeNiX said:
Just came back from Jumbo.

UA32C5000QM LED - The label price was 49.9k. Plus the Airtel HD DTH was free. The guy promised to replace it with a cash discount plus additional discount. Total he said would be around 43-44k. Also 0% EMI option is available.

Seems like a good deal. Will be booking around diwali. Anything to look out for ? And anywhere else should i try for a better deal ?
Looks like a good deal to me. Best of luck with the purchase! :)

AsidXxx said:
I need to buy a 32" LCD. Reputed brand. Not bothered with specs much, would be gifting it to The Sister. But budget is a bit tight, in the range of 27K. Also, I need to get it to Calcutta next week. Would it be a good idea to lug it all the way to Cal if I am getting a good deal in Bombay?
It could be a good deal. 32 inchers aren't very bulky either. But do transport it in a vertical position, not laying it down horizontally! If you need recommendations, you are better off posting it in the right format. Helps others.

hi guys know i am in confusion, after visiting lot of shops, i am getting different prices, SAMSUNG 40C550- 54000rs to 56000rs. But when i visited a shop the salesman convinced me to go for LG he said he will give me a best price for LG LD460 for 46000rs , is this LG model is good, it has only 2HDMI ports but it JAZZ series with 300W. i am waiting for your suggestions.

SAMSUNG 40C500=54000rs

LG 42LD460=46000rs

SONY 40EX40O=54000rs

SONY 40NX500=56000rs

^Avoid the NX500 - that display has a glossy glass front that reflects everything in front of the display, irrespective of whether the display is turned on or off. Setting up the ambient lighting conditions won't do any good. I can vouch for that since I have tried it myself at a Croma outlet when the Sony 2010 lineup was announced. Besides, the pricing is on the slightly higher front IMO.

The 40C530 was what I had recommended to you before. It does support a lot of formats through the USB just as the LG panel does. The limited connectivity option maybe a problem for you in case you decide to use the PC, console(s) and a HD DTH service together. Besides, you had mentioned previously that you had a budget of 50k. I am pretty confident the C530 should fall well within your budget. Do give it a shot! You get a Airtel HD DTH service free as well - should you decide to let it go, you can get some cashback. :p

Okay, so here goes -

1. Budget - 27K

2. Viewing distance - 3/4 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc - Cable TV?

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV - LCD

5. Preference for brands - Reputed (I would say Videocon is one too :p )

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? - No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room - Normal?

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - None really. Not too bothered with the specs.

Need one real soon, while all these Diwali offers are on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back