HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The "Help me buy an HDTV" thread!

Is anyone aware of any Issues with the LG PK and PJ Series for 50" ? Was planning to pick one up but there seems to be mixed reviews and a host of problems plaguing these models!

^^I hope your doubts have been cleared now Gaurav! :p

1. Along with TV yes. The dealer is supposed to give it along with the LCD. Samsung personnel will shortly pay you a visit.

2. Separately.

3. Mount it such that when you view it, your eyes remain parallel to the TV from the ground. i.e you shouldn't mount it too high nor too low.

4. Surprising yeah. It was only when you told me, I checked Samsung India's website and seems like they have removed it. But worry not, you got an awesome deal for an awesome panel. Congrats! :D

Here's another link just in case - An easier way to lead a Full HD life - LA40C530 40" Series 5 LCD - LCD TV - Television | SAMSUNG

Now time to calibrate it so you could get the best PQ out of it. Head here and browse through the pages to find out the calibration settings for this panel - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1236000 and more importantly please share the settings here so it may help others! :)

To hell with Samsung's ridiculous panel lottery program. :p

Thanks once again Gannu....(what would I have done without u!! :p). Thanks Arun.

Arun can you PM me your mobile number. I need to ask you some things about Airtel Installation.

^Glad to be of help Gaurav! :)

On a side note, Doc just sent me an SMS. It read: "Congratulations we got SS01 panels, delivery should be by 7 PM!"

Yay! Can hardly wait! :D

shopkeepers dont let you check out the version number when buying isnt it , they just take money and deliver , so how to check?

no way to check kippu, how many boxes will the dealer open for you.

my case i just checked the sample pieces on the wall and both were AA , so safely assumed that the piece will also be AA and came out

1. Budget.

35K may extend a lil (dad knws it)

2. Viewing distance.

6-8 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.

May add HD DTH later !! For the moment gaming from my Rig and SD DTH and HD movies Via RIG !!

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.

Would prefer LED if someone can explain the difference and is it worth paying for it !!

5. Preference for brands.

Strict Samsung, LG in mind (Plz guide over the difference in IPS panel and samsungs panel)

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?

Definate NO

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.

The Windows will be behind the T.V

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.

Nope, not possible at this price point

Can someone help me with wat is the difference between tru motion 50Hz and 100Hz !! I could see the diff on LG T.V and havent checked out Series 5 and 6 of samsung though !!

Rememba its for heavy gaming and HD movies !!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

If am considering Samsung could you please guide me over the panel used and which one is the best !! Prefer higher incher ones with full HD support !!

Ragin_Ice said:
Got the Samsung LA40C530. All thanks to Gannu and Amol.

Got the SQ version.

Got it for 45k and 42k with exchange of a 29" Sony Flat CRT.
Where did you get it from? Croma is selling it at a special Diwali discount price of 55K.

samsung C350 or panasonic TH-L32X22D

please i need quick reply as i will be buying any 1 after 12 o clock

Renegade said:
Where did you get it from? Croma is selling it at a special Diwali discount price of 55K.
I think he got it from a retail outlet called Kohinoor. At least that's what he told me when he was checking out the display in person. 55k for the C530 is a wrong quote. I think you are referring to the C550. C530 costs less than 50k in almost all the retail outlets with the free Airtel HD DTH offer.

avinash4 said:
1. Budget.
35K may extend a lil (dad knws it)

2. Viewing distance.
6-8 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
May add HD DTH later !! For the moment gaming from my Rig and SD DTH and HD movies Via RIG !!

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
Would prefer LED if someone can explain the difference and is it worth paying for it !!

5. Preference for brands.
Strict Samsung, LG in mind (Plz guide over the difference in IPS panel and samsungs panel)

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
Definate NO

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room.
The Windows will be behind the T.V

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.
Nope, not possible at this price point
Can someone help me with wat is the difference between tru motion 50Hz and 100Hz !! I could see the diff on LG T.V and havent checked out Series 5 and 6 of samsung though !!
Rememba its for heavy gaming and HD movies !!

If am considering Samsung could you please guide me over the panel used and which one is the best !! Prefer higher incher ones with full HD support !!
Just curious but did you actually notice the difference between the 60Hz and 100Hz? On a LG panel? I hope you are kidding! Or maybe you were referring to those sample videos which demonstrate the effect of the motion interpolation on the panels? TruMotion on LG panels is a complete rip-off - the usual 60Hz panels from Philips/Sony and Samsung performs on par with LG's 200Hz TruMotion panels.

Read about LED backlit panels here - LED-backlit LCD TV - Wiki . If you still have doubts, let us know! :)

I'd recommend the Samsung LA32C530 or LA32C550 for you. The latter offers ethernet connectivity so you can hook up this display to a router/PC to stream media. The TV supports a lot of media formats. Samsung's panel lottery has been already explained in the first post - please go through it.

Lastly, it would be worthwhile if you have windowblinds/curtains on those windows behind your panel.

Desecrator said:
I think he got it from a retail outlet called Kohinoor. At least that's what he told me when he was checking out the display in person. 55k for the C530 is a wrong quote. I think you are referring to the C550. C530 costs less than 50k in almost all the retail outlets with the free Airtel HD DTH offer.

Yes, he got a quote from Kohinoor and bought it from another local electronic store for same amount, is what he told me. Renegade is right, it is priced at 55k in Croma, Vijay Sales, Hypercity, Reliance Digital and all major chain outlets in Mumbai. It was the same 55k in Jumbo electronics as well, where I got it from, but the salesman offered to match the price I get from elsewhere and I told him the ebay price and he just matched it, although with exchange. AFAIK, there is no bargaining in Croma, Vijay Sales etc, or is there?

55k for the C530? :O That's a frigging huge difference! Yeah you could haggle at any outlet for Samsung HDTVs. Not possible for Sony because of their ridiculous S.U.R.E. program.

^There isn't any problem per se but considering the present lineup of LG panels, you are better off with Sony/Samsung instead. The panel looks all great with the stock settings, any further calibration hardly improves the PQ. Black levels are sub par for an IPS display. SD upscaling capabilities are mediocre which means the SD DTH service and DVD rips take a hit. Viewing angles are pretty good. Those are some of my observations of the LG panels I had tested. Ofc if you can get hold of the LH90, nothing like it. The LH90 was one of the best TVs to be launched last year - discontinued ATM.

That said, LG HDTVs have a solid sound system onboard. The rest is nothing to write home about.

my wife is pissed off at Te , i keep rambling about panels and HDMI ports , shes like f%#^!$! TE , just get one which looks good :|
so to keep myself safe, am going to get a c530 or 550 and stop thinking about the panels :|
ta

kippu said:
my wife is pissed off at Te , i keep rambling about panels and HDMI ports , shes like f%#^!$! TE , just get one which looks good :|

so to keep myself safe, am going to get a c530 or 550 and stop thinking about the panels :|

ta
Succumbed to the WAF? Best of luck with the panel lottery! Keep us updated. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back