HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

Guys,buying a new HDTV this month.

Thinking about these models from Samsung.

1. LED TV - 46" C6900 (120hz) - seems like the best non-3D high end LED TV at the moment.

2. LED TV - 46" C5000 (60hz) - im worried if ill be losing out on the 120hz.

3. LCD TV - 46 " C650 (120 hz) - Is getting an LED worth the premium we pay for? should i go ahead with this one and save some dough ?

I've read here that samsung LCD TVs (C530,C550,C650 etc) have great and sometimes not so great PVA panels ..What kind of panels do LEDs have?

Budget :1L

Usage : SD and Few HD channels,PS3,1080p/720p Bluray-rips.

Viewing distance : 9-10 feet.

What are the MUST things to look for when Buying a 32" LCD ? For eg Contrast Ratio et all.?
Saw a killer deal from Sharp 32" LCD for 33 k which had 22 inch monitor free . both the LCs have PC inouts.
Sharp although nt being in the top slot, is a brand with credibility, . Not sure on its LCD segment? Any views?

Just wondering whether to splurge on a LCD. Please suggest an appropriate model so I can do further research on it :)

1. Budget. 30 - 35k

2. Viewing distance. 3' (for PC) 8 - 12' (for movies)

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. HDMI from my PC. (Asus 780g board)

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. Whatever works best as a monitor replacement.

5. Preference for brands. Not much. Would prefer to avoid AOC/Videocon/VU and similar :p

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? Only if its a really really good deal

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. Big window next to the monitor. Curtains do not completely block the light.

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. Nope.
Is the 32c530 the best choice? Or should I look into something else?

PhOeNiX said:
^31k :O I booked at 34k :( But it's a SQ02 panel guaranteed.
Got the delivery yesterday !! Yes got it at 31K and yeah its SQ02 !! Hell YEAH !! Lol;-)

avinash4 said:
Got the delivery yesterday !! Yes got it at 31K and yeah its SQ02 !! Hell YEAH !! Lol;-)

i bought 32c550 3 days back for Rs 32000/- and was getting 32c530 for rs 30,800 now beat that lol

e

I am looking for a LCD TV with a budget of 30-35k

Some thoughts in mind are -

- I guess 32inches will be ok since viewing distance is less than 8 feet

- Need a Wall mount one

- LG samsung sony Panasonic preferred

- should have USB ports and HDMI ports.

- Full HD preferred more

Not caring of much of techies specs etc since it will be captured by my mom and sis most of the time for their serials.. :p

Plz guide for the best option.. Thanxx in advance.:)

Parents bought a Samsung LA46C550 model for diwali :D. Plays HD files quite well. Really brilliant :)

76669748.jpg

The 40 inch Sony NX500 I got for my folks looks huge to me, so congrats on your 46 incher Sammy :D

Oops!

Had sought advise earlier on LCD tellys...hadn't seen this. Sorry! So, here's a repost of sorts..
1. Budget: 38,000 (tweaked up)

2. Viewing distance: 8 to 10 ft

3. Sources/inputs: Tata Sky (Non-HD) DTH for sports and gen. entertainment, BluRay player (coming soon), random video off USB...

4. Preference: LCD TV

5. Preference for brands: Pretty open here...except that I find that Samsung is a lot more versatile in terms of video formats it plays. But, am willing to consider other brands

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?: Nope...not really.

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room: One east facing window (with curtains) on a third-floor apartment, lit by a CFL lamp or tubelight...

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc: Um...

The salesguy at Croma (Chennai) recommends a Samsung LA32C530 at Rs.37,990. Now, considering my usage, do I need to go in for a Full HD or will a HD Ready model do? And, considering that I watch a lot of sports, is the lack of 100Hz (it has a 50Hz) a problem? And, what am I not thinking of??? Heh...

malefic said:
i bought 32c550 3 days back for Rs 32000/- and was getting 32c530 for rs 30,800 now beat that lol
e
Congrats !! I got this one in exchange of my old T.V almost 14 years which was lying unused which has display problem and the guy took it for 2K and my final price was 29K !!

c530 ain't good for SD contents.. For pure HD content then go for it .. full value for money..

Hi there, I have been reading these forums since the past 3 hours now... lol. I finally decided that I should register and ask for suggestions. I have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to buying an LCD monitor, but TV's are completely different when talking about panel types. I never knew Samsung had the 'Panel Lottery' issue with LCD TV's too... Samsung sucks! And that is the reason why I omitted Samsung from my shortlist completely [and I have read about vertical motion judder issues in quite a few Samsung reviews]. I have never been lucky... so out with Samsung... lol.

Coming to the point... I was confused of what to buy between the Sony 40EX710/Sony 40NX700/LG LE7500. My budget is around 70k - 110k and all these three lie within my desired price range.

Which, according to you, would be a value for money LCD & why? [in terms of service policies/repairs, features, lifespan, & PS3 gaming]. I would also like to know the panel type [SPVA/AMVA.. etc] of each model if possible.

Thank you all for reading. Hope to get enough replies in the next few days, so that I can book it this week. I have a [don't laugh] 29" CRT at present... never really cared about switching to an LCD because I am a hardcore gamer & my assembled PC is more expensive than a 60" LCD, so the PC is all I need. I just bought the PS3 & I realized that I need to switch to an LCD for a better gaming experience.

bought LA40C630 from croma @ (56K - 1K) Rs master card cash back offer.

Panel is SS01. I have seen only either SS01 or SQ01, SQ02 in bangalore in all the showrooms I surveyed.

Also note that TCS employees get 2.5% discount and if they have Tata credit card then another additional 1.5% discount.

Stock in bangalore for this model is declining fast.

Initial Impressions

Colors are good and vivid. brightness is excellent.

My crappy local cable never looked so good. again it depends on the channels. most of them were good.

The motion plus thing had to be turned off. It produced some jerkiness in the picture and the voice was out of sync due to this. The main feature of this was this 100hz technology and we cannot switch it on. This is very dissapointing.

Black levels are good, but detail is lost in it. suppose a dark grey coat in a dark background cannot be distingiushed. I have observed this in the showroom as well while comparing a sony and a samsung.

People who want to buy sony EX400 or NX500 need not be dissapointed because of the lack of 100hz motion plus.

This impression is just based on 1 day of use. I think there is alot of tinkering with the settings ahead.

^You can switch on/off the Motion Plus Tech - why would the LCD advertise it otherwise? Head to Menu, Picture Options, Motion Plus and set it to off or whatever suits your viewing. I set it off while gaming. And going by your thoughts, it is quite obvious you haven't calibrated your display and you are referring to the PQ based on the factory calibration. Do yourself a favor and tinker around with the settings to get used to the panel first. :)

And yeah, congrats on getting the SPVA panel. Calibrate it and you wouldn't regret not having bought the Sony EX500. ;)

Ya ya calibration is required. Even you were asking in the other forum about the "Soap Opera" effect with Motion plus tech on. Are you using it while watching movies and cable.

can you share your optimum settings. hw r u caliberating anyway.

dont tell me you followed the whole of this link GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES :)

^Nope. What I did was, applied buzzard's settings and fine tuned it. All you need to know is how well your eyes perceive the color of that image. So red should look red not with a slight tint of blue or green. Set the primary colors right and others will follow. :)

Soap opera effect - well yeah it is there if you switch it on. But unless you are watching fifa or some other sports channel, you wouldn't need this motion interpolation effect.

jigar7 said:
Hi there, I have been reading these forums since the past 3 hours now... lol. I finally decided that I should register and ask for suggestions. I have quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to buying an LCD monitor, but TV's are completely different when talking about panel types. I never knew Samsung had the 'Panel Lottery' issue with LCD TV's too... Samsung sucks! And that is the reason why I omitted Samsung from my shortlist completely [and I have read about vertical motion judder issues in quite a few Samsung reviews]. I have never been lucky... so out with Samsung... lol.

Coming to the point... I was confused of what to buy between the Sony 40EX710/Sony 40NX700/LG LE7500. My budget is around 70k - 110k and all these three lie within my desired price range.

Which, according to you, would be a value for money LCD & why? [in terms of service policies/repairs, features, lifespan, & PS3 gaming]. I would also like to know the panel type [SPVA/AMVA.. etc] of each model if possible.

Thank you all for reading. Hope to get enough replies in the next few days, so that I can book it this week. I have a [don't laugh] 29" CRT at present... never really cared about switching to an LCD because I am a hardcore gamer & my assembled PC is more expensive than a 60" LCD, so the PC is all I need. I just bought the PS3 & I realized that I need to switch to an LCD for a better gaming experience.
Since you are looking for a LCD primarily for gaming, check out the reviews to see the response time. If you are mainly using it for online gaming, then a small difference here and there in the response time matters a lot. Also AFAIK, the lottery issue in Samsung is restricted to lower end models and smaller size panels. But I might be wrong. If from reviews, you are able to shortlist a Samsung by any chance, need not bother..you can confirm the serial # from the dealer to confirm the panel type as they will have it stock. Sony uses SVPA panel and LG uses IPS panels where both have different areas in which it will excel. Sorry could not help much, but google will be your best friend for getting the response times (actual ones and not from the specs :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back