HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

EX710 uses a SPVA panel while the more expensive EX700 uses a sharp UV2A panel.

hayabusa_ryu said:
Thank u very much for the reply. Yeah I got what u mean. I was determined to buy dell u2311h but then this offer came by someone(official), @24000/- with 1 year warranty. We were planning to buy Samsung LED 3D TV next year for home, but my monitor went kaput and after getting this offer I decided to buy 1 LCD TV for myself, which is to be used as PC Monitor(main concern) for surfing, movies and games(AOE3).
The MRP of this TV locally is 38k but due to some body scratch I getting it for cheap. Is it a good buy?

Yes by all means its a great deal. We all know the mRP story , but the avg selling price is abt 32k for this model.

can you arrange one more coupon ( by scratch , Im assuming a scratch card) , or a way in which other people could also avail this?

Re: The "Help me buy an HDTV" thread!

Suggest me a good 32inch LCD tv.

1. Budget - 40k

2. Viewing distance - 7.5ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - will be using USB to watch movies, also wireless connectivity will be a added bonus.

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.- LCD or LED

5. Preference for brands. - Samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. Yes

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. 4 HDMI port and good for gaming through pc too.

^Samsung UA32C5000 seems to fit your requirements.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

jigar7 said:
Thank you for that insight mate. Well, I know about the response time issue. I had actually waited for a whole 6 months before getting a top-notch gaming LCD & I am more than happy with my Dell 2209WA monitor... with e-IPS panel (Hybrod panel). Doesn't come cheap if you're in mumbai... but worth all the money with a 3 year warranty... Internationally this monitor has gained fame! But it will set you back by 24k. :)

Okay now coming back to the topic, I was suggested by a few other on another forum that I can demand for an SS & SQ samsung panel & most of the dealers know what version they have in stock.

1. My issue is, what if even after commitment, I still get a non-SPVA panel from Samsung? I can only confirm the version after opening the box & once that is done, I can't return it. :(

2. I have shortlisted Sony 40EX710, Sony 40HX800 & Samsung 40C6900VR. Does the 40" EX710 have a S-PVA panel?

3. What exactly do you mean by PQ w.r.t panels? I know about black levels.

My requirements:

Not interested in 3D TV but it's good to be future ready, besides that, till the end of this week (15th Nov 2010), I can get 40HX800 for 110k + 3D glasses as a Diwali offer at Chroma, Mumbai.

I'm a hardcore gamer, have a PS3. I like to play FPS/TPS/RPG/Strategy games

No one in my family is interested in sports. But I do watch a lot of holly/bollywood movies (all genres)

Max LCD size - 40" & Max Budget 110k

Not gonna connect my PC with the LED LCD... maybe browse the internet a bit. But internet is not really a necessity.. have the PC for that.

----Merged----

@Desecrator: Thank you for your reply. I do know about the Response time problems for fast paced games as I had researched quite a bit before buying a monitor. Finally got the Dell 2209WA when it was just launched. Was quite expensive, but it's a beauty & comes with a 3 year standard DELL replacement warranty... the hybrid e-IPS tech is brilliant! No lag what-so-ever when I play FPS games. :)

Oh well... coming to the point. I have short listed 3 LED Backlit LCD TV's. Could you suggest me which one is the best.

1. Sony 40" HX800

2. Sony 40" EX710

3. Samsung 40" C6900VR

[I omitted LG TV's & Sony 40" NX700 from my list due to not so great customer reviews on other forums].

My requirements:

Budget: Max 110k

Size: 40"

3D LED: Not a necessity, but it's good to be future ready if the picture quality is as good as the 2D LED TV's w.r.t Motion Blur & Contrast Ratios

Sports: None of my family members are inclined to sports

Movies: Yes... we all are hardcore movie buffs... all genres!

Gaming: Yes, I am a hardcore gamer & I prefer panels with less response times & minimal motion judder. I play mainly FPS & Strategy on my PC & PS3.

USB: Not a necessity that it plays DivX... Can get my hands on an external DivX player for 2-3k these days.

Internet: Not a necessity, but it's always good to have additional features.

Samsung TV's have a panel lottery. So I will only go for it if the panel version starts with SS or SQ. I don't know if Croma/Sony Mony [Mumbai] employees will have an idea of what version is being delivered from their warehouse. I'm just scared of getting a non-SPVA panel after commitment. I doubt I'll be able to get a replacement after I open the box.

I'm really very confused between these 3 TV's & need to buy them before the 15th of Nov as Diwali offers end. Please give me some suggestions. The 3D Sony 40HX800 is available at Croma at 110k + Free 3D glasses (Worth 3-5k).

Sony 40EX700 for you. Saves you some dough if 3D isn't important. EX700 guarantees you an ASV panel as well. On the contrary, the EX700 has an SPVA panel. Slightly inferior to the ASV panel from Sharp. I'd say, save some dough and invest it in the audio department. Or get a stand-alone media player or a PS3 if you are into gaming. :)
c0bra said:
well bought yesterday LG 50" PJ35OR plasma.. just wanna confirm if this model is good for gaming.. have ps3 and xbox 360.. mostly play soccer games on ps3 and on xbox FF and Halo 3... wanna knw how long can i play to keep my tv safe from color burns.

wanna knw the contrast settings to save it from color burns specially.. though i like the black levels of this tv.. just can say awesome for me... and wanna knw wht r the video files that it can play in usb interface... just knw abt divx (.MKV) and avi files.. wanna knw if der r any other file formats...

regards

MJ

--Merged--

Can any one tell me how is the Pioneer Kuro workin out der in INDIA (service centres in case of any problem with TV specially in HYD).. will be bringing it to india next month the 65" kuro plasma... with pioneer home theatre 7.1...

Regards

MJ

--Merged--

well i own a pioneer kuro 60" krp series too and wanna knw if der r any service centres in HYD the good ones specially.. coz i dnt wanna take nay risk bringing it to India paying the customs duty and if in the end got any problem wid this tv I will go nuts.. i love this of my tv alot... and also wanna knw the price of this series if available in Indian market..

Regards

MJ
Pioneer Kuro does not officially retail in India which you may be aware of but they do have service centres in almost all the cities - not sure if they undertake the repairs of PDPs though. Besides, Pioneer Kuro has become EOL when they sold their technology and personnel to Panasonic last year. Now, the only plasma manufacturers left standing are Panasonic, LG, and Samsung. So in case something goes wrong, I am not sure if the replacement parts are available either. As a safer bet, you can invest in Panasonic's plasma displays - they offer near-Kuro quality when it comes to the colors and PQ. :)

^Pretty good model. I am using the 40 inch version of the same. :)

Price for the UA32C5000 is somewhere around the 42-44k mark.

@Desecrator: Thank you for that insight. I personally don't want to bank on the Panel lottery system for the Samsung TVs. They look stunning... better than the Bravias but getting an inferior panel is what I am scared of. Too much of a hassle to get it exchanged.

Okay, I just measured the viewing distance in my bedroom & it's like 6 feet only. So I want to now move down to the 32"EX710. Do you know what panel is used in the 32"? Is it SPVA, MVA or ASV?

The Croma & Sony Mony floor managers don't have a clue of what I'm asking them * both these LCDs aren't on display anywhere :(

The 40" & 32" EX710s have exactly the same features but there is a 30k difference in the pricing. That is why I was worried about the type of panel I would get in the 32".
Any details on the 32"EX710 would be great!

I was thinking of saving that 30k & investing 50k in a BOSE surround sound. I use the BOSE Companion 5 speakers with my PC & I love the speakers :)

jigar7 said:
@Desecrator:

The 40" & 32" EX710s have exactly the same features but there is a 30k difference in the pricing. That is why I was worried about the type of panel I would get in the 32".

Any details on the 32"EX710 would be great!
AFAIK... 55" and 40" of EX710 are Samsung Panels (good)..32" and 46" are AUO Panels (not so good i guess)

Desecrator said:
Nope! Only 37 inchers uses the AUO AMVA panels. Read it here - More News on Panel Switching: Sony TVs - DigitalVersus

Jigar's query has already been answered in the PM he had sent me yesterday. :p
Yup! And thanks a lot for that dude! :)

I don't know why there are so many types of panels... why not just keep the best ones & discard the rest... people who don't research must be getting duped so often! This is like a legal scam I think... sad! :(

At least they should provide us with model/version numbers of panels before buying, like many e-buying websites abroad... they list every possible number on the LCD panel... lol...

P. S.: Shank is really a wonderful game! Am loving it!

LOL Samsung doesn't really care of the few folks who does the research before buying - at least they can do a favor and spread the word to the rest. For the majority, it's just a frigging large panel and as long as it outputs the display, they are happy. :p

If the viewing distance at my place is 8-9 ft can i got for a 40inch Samsung LCD. If yes then which would that model be for less than 50k.

LA40C530/C550. This has already been answered a dozen times in the thread. It would be worthwhile if you could browse through the last few pages. :)

Desecrator said:
LA40C530/C550. This has already been answered a dozen times in the thread. It would be worthwhile if you could browse through the last few pages. :)
Buddy my main concern is the viewing distance, is it ok.:)

Thanks for all your help Desecrator. Just booked a 40EX710 since I was getting it at 6 months, 0% EMI on my HDFC card. Getting it delivered tomorrow. If I win a PS3 in the lucky draw, I shall give it to you since I already own one... but I've never been that lucky in my entire life to win something in a draw... besides, I think it's just a big scam! :(

Btw... out of all the dth services.. which is the best? Tata Sky, Airtel etc... w.r.t reception during monsoon, after sales service & value for money packages?

Anything I should keep in mind when I test my new TV apart from light bleed & dead pixels? Croma gave me 4 working days to return the product for a brand new replacement if I find any defect.

Btw people, please do not buy Sony products from SONY MONY (Mumbai). They were not willing to give me any kind of extended warranty on my 40EX710. Croma gave me a 2 years extended warranty for an additional Rs. 2700/- (total 3 years) and that includes replacement of the product if it is not repairable. All SONY MONY was giving me was a stupid Tata Sky box that you can get for 1-2k.

jigar7 said:
T Just booked a 40EX710 since I was getting it at 6 months, 0% EMI on my HDFC card.

Btw... out of all the dth services.. which is the best? Tata Sky, Airtel etc... w.r.t reception during monsoon, after sales service & value for money packages?

TATA Sky HD seems good.

Im also gonna buy the same TV.

79.9 k at Sony Centre with some stupid freebie (a headphone).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back