HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

booked a sony EX710 40" for 72k after hard bargain :p ..delivery in a couple of days.

no freebies except the sonys cordless headphone :S and free installation.

would buy a Tata sky HD and probably a HD media player.

^Sony wasn't giving away anything during the Diwali period apart from the headphones so that's totally cool. Oh and that's Sony for you. No bargains and no freebies. :p

Congrats on the panel! :D

Antidote said:
booked a sony EX710 40" for 72k after hard bargain :p ..delivery in a couple of days.

no freebies except the sonys cordless headphone :S and free installation.

would buy a Tata sky HD and probably a HD media player.
congrats buddy

enjoy HD world now

Just a tip for those interested in buying Samsung C530 and C550,

The current lot is consisting of only CN panels.

SS and SQ are nowhere to be found and if you are lucky, you may spot AA.

This is applicable to atleast all croma and reliance digital outlets in Navi Mumbai.

xcept89 said:
I bought my c530 from arcee electronics Navi Mumbai ...

and got AA panel ..
im talking about current stock post diwali.

i was able to spot AA at few stores but then their next lot which i checked for SS SQ turned out to be CN panels. (checked at kohinoor electronics)

although they had a huge discount.

67k for 46C530..the same thing that retails at croma for 78990.. and yes, with free airtel HD DTH which is standard with samsung displays...

Btw... I have a problem... 40EX710 supports 14:9 aspect ratio :S
Just got the Tata Sky connection 2day & it only offers 16:9 OR 4:3 aspect ratio option.

In my LCD, I use the 'auto zoom' which is the best, but the picture is still distorted.
Rest all modes either has vertical black bands on either sides or the image is clipped top & bottom.

Now why the f*** would sony release an LCD with a 14:9 aspect ratio... this is really irritating... I spent 80k on this LCD just to watch distorted channels. :(

I am hoping that TT Sky will introduce a few more aspect ratio options in their broadcast...

jigar7 said:

Just got the Tata Sky connection 2day & it only offers 16:9 OR 4:3 aspect ratio option.

From sonys website,

Screen Format -> TV: Full / Normal / Wide Zoom / Zoom / 14:9, PC: Normal / Full 1 / Full 2

1920 x 1080 is 16 : 9 ..

did u try Full or Normal ?

jigar7 said:

In my LCD, I use the 'auto zoom' which is the best, but the picture is still distorted.

Rest all modes either has vertical black bands on either sides or the image is clipped top & bottom.

Now why the f*** would sony release an LCD with a 14:9 aspect ratio... this is really irritating... I spent 80k on this LCD just to watch distorted channels. :(

I am hoping that TT Sky will introduce a few more aspect ratio options in their broadcast...
wth..

push the zoom button on remove and select Full Wide mode.

it support 14:9 does not mean that it operates at 14:9 all the time :|

jigar7 said:

I have no idea where you got the info that the LCD is a 14:9 ratio.There is NO 40" lcd outhere thats of this ratio.its just like any other 16:9 SPVA panel used in other models like EX500 and samsung lcds.

Thank you for all the responses people. I guess I misunderstood the aspect ratio part. There is a 14:9 zoom mode... the LCD is 16:9 :p

But I did notice that only 2 modes provide undistorted picture... which 4:3 with vertical bands on either side & the other is proportional zoom wherein picture is cut at top & bottom.

Every other mode is just stretching the picture... the best one being 'Auto Zoom' for the EX710. The Tata Sky module has 16:9 mode, but I noticed that it just stretches the 4:3 in such a way that only people switching from a 4:3 mode can notice the change.

I'm sure that all you people have adapted to the 16:9 stretch. Will take me time to get used to this.

Watch any SONY channel, it's logo will be slightly rectangular... the actual logo is a perfect square.

1. Budget - max 28k

2. Viewing distance - 6-7feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc - pc through hdmi , ps2

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV - lcd

5. Preference for brands - any known brand will do

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market - nope

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room - good

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.- full hd, usb if possible, preferably 32"

jigar7 said:
But I did notice that only 2 modes provide undistorted picture... which 4:3 with vertical bands on either side & the other is proportional zoom wherein picture is cut at top & bottom.

Every other mode is just stretching the picture... the best one being 'Auto Zoom' for the EX710. The Tata Sky module has 16:9 mode, but I noticed that it just stretches the 4:3 in such a way that only people switching from a 4:3 mode can notice the change.

I'm sure that all you people have adapted to the 16:9 stretch. Will take me time to get used to this.

Watch any SONY channel, it's logo will be slightly rectangular... the actual logo is a perfect square.
Well only the Full mode doesn't cut out any picture and doesn't look stretched in most foreign channels like WB movies,UTV world movies and many other look exactly like a 16:9 DVD ,well atleast with big tv DTH.

I need a very good LED/LCD tv for gaming 37" to 40".

I was gonna go for a samsung 40C650...everything was perfect until i found out that it had a very high input lag of 90ms which is a nightmare when it comes to gaming.

considering the sony bravia's i had a live demo of how the quality of video is compared to samsung (sony ex710 and samsung c650). sony was nothin compared to samsung in upscaling. samsung had more natural colors too.

budget - 70k

either LED/LCD is ok, main concern is good video quality (c650 was amazin), little or no input lag. and 100HZ or more.

someone please help me regarding this confusion of constitution of constipation of institution of india!!~~~~~!

^How about posting it in the format put up in the first post?

yuvi63 said:
1. Budget - max 28k

2. Viewing distance - 6-7feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc - pc through hdmi , ps2

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV - lcd

5. Preference for brands - any known brand will do

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market - nope

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room - good

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.- full hd, usb if possible, preferably 32"
Samsung LA32C530. Should be retailing around the 30k mark but well worth the price tag.

anything cheaper from some lower brands like panasonic , lg , videocon , toshiba

yuvi63 said:
anything cheaper from some lower brands like panasonic , lg , videocon , toshiba
Plenty of them but the PQ wouldn't be anywhere close to what the Samsung offers. I'd say grab an exchange deal if you can and get the price lowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back