HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

Benq G2420hd has three ports vga , dvi , hdmi

so if we connect a pc to vga , and another pc to dvi using dvi to hdmi converter(converting the dvi on monitor to hdmi and using hdmi cable from pc to it) and a ps3 to hdmi

is it possible to switch between the three???

need urgent reply

Hi All,

I have just bought a 32" Samsung Series 5 LED tv. Can anyone help me to set it up so as to get a perfect picture.

Thanks,

Hi folks,

I am looking for advice on my TV purchase.

1. Budget - Rs 40,000 max.
3. Sources/inputs - Want atleast 2 HDMI inputs along with the usual TV inputs.
4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV - Preferably LCD or a Plasma
5. Need Full HD ie., 1080p

The ideal size for me would be 32" but i say that due to budget reasons.

The TV's useful life would be a 60 - 40 share between TV watching and playing games by hooking up my computer via the HDMI input (mostly CounterStrike and TeamFortress 2 on Steam).

Please help.

Samsung 32 C530 here. Awesome video clarity in 720p movie mkv's (though sound isn't all that top-notch) . Use it for gaming on my PS3. does a decent surround sound (you can hear the direction of footsteps from right to left types). No input lag at all. It's Full HD. Sound & video detailing on my Ratatouille blu-ray was incredible. Has 3 HDMI inputs (of which i've used up 2; PS3 & WD live). Best of all, i lucked into getting a SQ02 panel :)

Price (In Bangalore) 32.5k. (was offered the 40" C530 for 48k, and also the 37" for about 40k)

You can also get the Samsung 32C550 for 34.5k; the difference being one extra HDMI port and higher contrast ratio (though God knows how that makes a difference)

You could also go for a Sony EX400, NX500, EX500 (all within 40k)

no_nonsense4857 said:
Hi folks,

I am looking for advice on my TV purchase.

The ideal size for me would be 32" but i say that due to budget reasons.

The TV's useful life would be a 60 - 40 share between TV watching and playing games by hooking up my computer via the HDMI input (mostly CounterStrike and TeamFortress 2 on Steam).

Please help.

AFAIK Sony doesn't have the panel lottery system like Samsung. So if you buy the EX710 you'll definitely get a Samsung panel and if you buy the EX700, you'll definitely get the Sharp panel.

Fahrenheit said:
AFAIK Sony doesn't have the panel lottery system like Samsung. So if you buy the EX710 you'll definitely get a Samsung panel and if you buy the EX700, you'll definitely get the Sharp panel.

IIRC 46" and 32" EX710 comes with AUO panels (AVS forums)..no panel lottery but panel switching :p

My bad,

In addition to the requirements below:

I am looking for 1080p. There have been various discussions regarding 720p and advantages over this through 1080p. But my computer has a resolution in line with 1080p so i presume the rendering in games (obviously in wide screen format) is straight forward and will not have any skewing.

So, any help for the revised preference??

5. Need Full HD ie., 1080p

AnkushT said:
Samsung 32 C530 here. Awesome video clarity in 720p movie mkv's (though sound isn't all that top-notch) . Use it for gaming on my PS3. does a decent surround sound (you can hear the direction of footsteps from right to left types). No input lag at all. It's Full HD. Sound & video detailing on my Ratatouille blu-ray was incredible. Has 3 HDMI inputs (of which i've used up 2; PS3 & WD live). Best of all, i lucked into getting a SQ02 panel :)

Price (In Bangalore) 32.5k. (was offered the 40" C530 for 48k, and also the 37" for about 40k)

You can also get the Samsung 32C550 for 34.5k; the difference being one extra HDMI port and higher contrast ratio (though God knows how that makes a difference)

You could also go for a Sony EX400, NX500, EX500 (all within 40k)

Hi,

Can anyone please help me with my quest or should i open a new thread for that? Sorry a newbie here.

@no_nonsense4857::

If you can raise up your budget a bit, then you can go in for Samsung Series 5 LED tv.

I got mine for 41K plus 1K cash back ;)

Both Samsung C530 & C550 are Full HD i.e. 1080p

P.S>>i did write this earlier also

AnkushT said:
It's Full HD. Sound & video detailing on my Ratatouille blu-ray was incredible.

1. Budget.
Below 30K

2. Viewing distance.
8feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.
Need 2 HDMI ports plus antenna in and component/hdmi in

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.
LCD?

5. Preference for brands.
Samsung, LG Sony Philips

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?
Yes

Would prefer a 720p 32incher since i've seen a 720p LCD in action and pretty happy with it. Plus 1280x720 means i dont have to get a monstrous graphics card to make the games look good :p

Forgot to mention. Getting the LCD primarily for PS3/PC gaming. Will be used as a TV sometime too

SunnyBoi said:
1. Budget.

Below 30K

2. Viewing distance.

8feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc.

Need 2 HDMI ports plus antenna in and component/hdmi in

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV.

LCD?

5. Preference for brands.

Samsung, LG Sony Philips

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market?

Yes

Would prefer a 720p 32incher since i've seen a 720p LCD in action and pretty happy with it. Plus 1280x720 means i dont have to get a monstrous graphics card to make the games look good :p

Forgot to mention. Getting the LCD primarily for PS3/PC gaming. Will be used as a TV sometime too
It is 1366 x 768 actually. Coming to the point, the Sony 32EX300 fits your requirements perfectly. I'd although advise you to bank on a full-HD display ATM, given that you have a good budget and the world over is switching to full-HD displays. DTH services are confined to 720p though; 1080i has not made it to India yet!

If you are settling for a full-HD display, get the Samsung LA32C530 or the Sony 32EX400 if you do not want to go with all those hassles of Samsung's panel lottery.

Thanks for the reply, any idea on the approximate prices of these TVs?

SunnyBoi said:
Thanks for the reply, any idea on the approximate prices of these TVs?
Sony sticks to a single pricing across all retail outlets in India and haggling is not possible as a result of their S.U.R.E program (Sony Unified Retail Execution). The 32EX400 should retail somewhere around the 33~34k mark, the 32EX300 around the 30k mark, the C530 should be around 32~33k.

He's willing to buy it from the grey market...

prices should be around 7-10k cheaper in the grey market..

Hmmm prices are that cheap in the grey market? Any pointers for reliable sources in Bangalore?

^I'd suggest not to risk it though. Although it is perceived that during the first year of usage, nothing may go wrong, Sony would refuse to touch the panel insisting on the invoice.

Sukhsagar mall at Majestic, Gandhinagar has one IIRC.

[OT] Just to provide an alternative -

I bought a Samsung 42C450 plasma recently. Got it for 35k after exchange. It'll be used 95% for tata sky, and 5% for movies through usb. FullHD is of no use for saas-bahu serials, but 42" is waay bigger than 32". Also, plasmas have better colors, deeper blacks and better viewing angles. Cons are lesser brightness compared to LCDs, and having to take care to avoid IR during the initial couple of weeks.

I played some movies off usb, and am mighty impressed. The TV recognises my portable hdd, so I don't need to buy a bigger pendrive. 720p movies look awesome. The Planet Earth 720p rips are mindblowing :D

[/OT]

Hi All,

Please provide your valuable suggestions for buying HD TV

1. Budget. - Appx 70k

2. Viewing distance. - 8 to 10 ft

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - Cable/DTH

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. - LED-LCD

5. Preference for brands.- Sony or Samsung

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? -No

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room. - Flexible

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc.- Need internet, USB features etc

I have done some research and zeroed down to two models. Sony KDL-40EX710 or Samsung UA40C6900VR in LED. are these two choices correct ? do you advice me any other models? considering the viewing distance 40 inch is better or 32 inch ? Please advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back