HDTV buying advice template

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HDTV buying advice thread

ok guys finally took a plunge and bought LG 42LD460 for 45000rs.Delivery will be on 14/11/2010. so what are the settings (i.e brightness level , contrast, other ) is good . Any of you who have this set can give suggestions.

jigar7 said:
Btw people, please do not buy Sony products from SONY MONY (Mumbai). They were not willing to give me any kind of extended warranty on my 40EX710. Croma gave me a 2 years extended warranty for an additional Rs. 2700/- (total 3 years) and that includes replacement of the product if it is not repairable. All SONY MONY was giving me was a stupid Tata Sky box that you can get for 1-2k.
Might congrats Jigar! You'll love the TV and all the goodness of the Sharp's ASV panel. :)

And please note that Croma offers extended warranty on most of the electronic appliances for a premium the customer is willing to pay. Otherwise, they aren't obliged to do so. In the event that something goes wrong in the due course, they should provide a replacement. Sony Mony (LOL at the shop's name!) or any other shop for that matter, OTOH may not have such an offer.

PS: I own a PS3 already so maybe you can donate it to someone else. :p

apextwin146 said:
Sony Mony
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Seriously is that a Shop name?
:p I bought my washing machine from there. Have sold it though.

Desecrator said:
PS: I own a PS3 already so maybe you can donate it to someone else. :p
Like poor old me.

BTW the 32" and 46" EX710 use AMVA panels .While the 40" and 55" use the SPVA panels.
Only the EX700 uses the UV2A panel from sharp.ASV panels are not made in the worlds largest and only 10G facility in japan.

@Desecrator: Thank you mate.... will post my 1st impressions soon... :)

@adder: Oh, in that case, I was so close to blowing up 60k as I was considering buying the 32EX710 but cuz of the 0% EMI, I went for the 40EX710... whew! I would've been heart broken to find out that I got a AMVA panel instead of the ASV/SPVA panel in the 32 inch.

Well, I just hope Bravia lives up to my expectation & runs successfully for 60,000 Hrs as mentioned in the specs. Btw... LED back-lit LCDs are brighter than the normal CCFL ones, but do the LED back-lit LCDs last longer than CCFL?

1. Budget - Rs. 80,000

2. Viewing distance - 9 feet

3. Sources/inputs such as HD DTH/consoles/stand-alone media players etc. - TATA SKY STB (normal) and PS2. Will be buying a PS3 in near future and TATASKY HD

4. Preference for plasma TV/LCD TV/LED-LCD TV. - LED TV

5. Preference for brands - SONY and LG

6. Willing to purchase it from the grey market? - NOT AT ALL

7. Ambient lighting conditions of the room - Window on the left side on TV but less light passes thru it and room is usually a little dark

8. Any other feature you are looking for such as 3D support on the HDTV, DLNA capabilities etc. - The more the merrier! (within my budget)

Also, can somebody answer my query.... Is an LED TV worth the extra price???

If you're looking at getting the biggest LED tv in your budget then i would suggest you have a look at the LG 47" LED TV (47LE5300). Otherwise the only model in Sony which is in your price range is the Sony Ex700/710.

@spawnfreak: Dude, I doubt you can get a 3D TV in that budget. But in that budget, you can get the 40EX710. I just bought it 2 days back and it's an absolute beauty... I love the LCD. The XMB menu is impressive... like the one in a PSP or a PS3 :)

But you need Tata Sky or sumthing like that to actually experience the LCD. Called for that too today. I hate these set top boxes because they kill some of the lovely features of the LCD like using a 'Favorite Channels/Recently Viewed' button on the EX710's remote. Once you have TT sky, you'll be using that shitty remote more often... EX710's remote is awesome, with a power button up front & at the back.

The viewing angles are awesome... color shift is minimal or barely noticable. The internet feature is not that useful... they should have added a browser for general stuff like checking basic mail websites, facebook etc...

Now am just trying to figure out how to play DivX files. Shitty DivX Player Plus isn't letting me create a new account so that I can register my Bravia :(

Btw... does anyone know how to find out how many hours the panel has been used? It's not in the service menu... the panel is Samsung PVA :)

@jigar... I already have a TATA SKY connection... but after going thru the TheTruth Behind LED TVs article, I'm skeptical about buying an EDGE LED TV like EX710. Though, this new TV won't be replaced for around 10+ years more, I think this so called LED technology is better than conventional LCDs.

What do you guys suggest... Bravia EX710 (EDGE LED) or a Bravia EX500 (regular LCD)

sid1712 said:
I compared the LG LD650 (which i just bought) with the Samsung C650 and found both to be on par. The Trumotion of the LG however was inferior to the Samsung and SD picture quality was slightly poorer than the samsung (both the TV's were not calibrated) but HD picture quality was almost the same with the samsung again having a slight edge but the difference was much reduced and took me some time to find any difference.

The LG though had slightly better viewing angles and lesser input lag (both TV's were connected to the same source via an HDMI splitter). For sound, i'd give a slight edge to the LG for better highs since the samsung sounded a little muffled.
YMMV
Thank u for the suggestion. I also have Samsung LCD in my mind but since I m getting LG @ cheap therefore inclined towards LG. If I don't buy now i will buy LED 3d TV in 8months(can't buy now due to some prob). If anybody who have seen both LG 32LD650 or Samsung C550/C590, how much pic quality diff between them?

^ I think i made a mistake with the viewing angles.

The Samsung actually has better viewing angles but the difference is *very small*

After comparing both again (the PVA based C630 this time) i can finally say that the samsung does have a little better picture quality (mainly due to the slightly deeper blacks which make the colours look more vibrant ) but its not huge and you'll only notice it if you watch if closely.
The difference still reduces when you watch HD videos though and i guess its worth its price. The 42" cost me 50k (straight from the factory) but retails for ~ 65k (the 32 one sells for ~35k)

What made me get the LG (vs the C630) was the slightly larger screen, less input lag and of course the price.
The samsung however wins in picture quality, and audio-out options.

spawnfreak said:
@jigar... I already have a TATA SKY connection... but after going thru the TheTruth Behind LED TVs article, I'm skeptical about buying an EDGE LED TV like EX710. Though, this new TV won't be replaced for around 10+ years more, I think this so called LED technology is better than conventional LCDs.

What do you guys suggest... Bravia EX710 (EDGE LED) or a Bravia EX500 (regular LCD)
Get the EX500. I for one wouldn't shell out the additional 15~20k for the LED backlighting which improves the PQ only by a small margin.

askids said:
is there extended warranty available for Samsung LCD/LEDs?
Not that I am aware of. Ofc you can claim an extended warranty from Croma outlets by paying a premium.

sid1712 said:
^ I think i made a mistake with the viewing angles.

The Samsung actually has better viewing angles but the difference is *very small*

After comparing both again (the PVA based C630 this time) i can finally say that the samsung does have a little better picture quality (mainly due to the slightly deeper blacks which make the colours look more vibrant ) but its not huge and you'll only notice it if you watch if closely.

The difference still reduces when you watch HD videos though and i guess its worth its price. The 42" cost me 50k (straight from the factory) but retails for ~ 65k (the 32 one sells for ~35k)

What made me get the LG (vs the C630) was the slightly larger screen, less input lag and of course the price.

The samsung however wins in picture quality, and audio-out options.
I maybe getting LG 32ld650 @24000/-. To have a clear Idea, how much u rate both 32LD650 and C630/C650 on the scale of 10?

Desecrator said:
Get the EX500. I for one wouldn't shell out the additional 15~20k for the LED backlighting which improves the PQ only by a small margin.

The difference between both the models is around Rs. 10k and LED EX710 has DLNA also and we'll be having this TV for 10+ years. So is it still justifiable?

spawnfreak said:
The difference between both the models is around Rs. 10k and LED EX710 has DLNA also and we'll be having this TV for 10+ years. So is it still justifiable?
The 10k difference probably justifies then. I find that the EX500 does not offer an ethernet port. Assuming Sony were to release a firmware update in the near future enabling better support for video/audio playback formats, it would make a lot of difference.

FYI, my TV can be connected to the netbook or the PC with the ethernet cable and it streames as well as decodes the content from the system without a fuss. Ofc it does not play some of the formats though which is fairly rare. Updating the main post with the video content supported by different TVs shortly.

Please help. Need to decide between Sony 55" HX 800 or LG 60 pk 950 R plasma. The set will be used for Blu ray and HD content playback only.

Am open to buy from gray.

^Get the HX 800 between the two. Might as well look into the Panasonic 50" V20D. There is nothing else available in the country that comes close to the black levels of this PDP. In short, this is the new Kuro! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back