Video HDTV purchase from Bangkok

Thanks for the response raj, the are a group of 5, and allowed limit is 25kg so as long as they are below 125kg in total, they should be good, right
it doesn't work that way. Its 25kg/person. A single person cannot get more than 25kg of luggage checked on a single ticket. In case of families and when the baggage weight is only slightly exceeding the limit, they make an exception, but I doubt that they are going to extend the same privilege to people carrying TV's.

I got a 40" LED through my cousin, the weight was ~19kg, so I presume for a 55", it would be somewhere close to 25-27kg or so. best to enquire about excess baggage charges from the Air Line in advance. If you can compromise, I'd suggest 46". It would be fine from a weight and dimension perspective. If budget is not a problem, then UA46F7500BR would be a good option, cheaper would be the 6 series but there you have panel lottery. I though got S-PVA only.

it doesn't work that way. Its 25kg/person. A single person cannot get more than 25kg of luggage checked on a single ticket. In case of families and when the baggage weight is only slightly exceeding the limit, they make an exception, but I doubt that they are going to extend the same privilege to people carrying TV's.

I got a 40" LED through my cousin, the weight was ~19kg, so I presume for a 55", it would be somewhere close to 25-27kg or so. best to enquire about excess baggage charges from the Air Line in advance. If you can compromise, I'd suggest 46". It would be fine from a weight and dimension perspective. If budget is not a problem, then UA46F7500BR would be a good option, cheaper would be the 6 series but there you have panel lottery. I though got S-PVA only.

Thanks for the response mate, this puts a spanner in the works, but are you sure about the 25kg per ticket rule? generally if it is a group, they look at the total weight, gotta get this sorted. I really wanted to make the best out of this trip with a larger group, thought it would easier to carry a larger screen back.

I may be forced to consider the 46', but what do you think about the best one amongst these models - Es7100 es6030 es6220, my sis seems really impressed with the looks of the ES7100, please comment on which of these has best PQ.

Officially that's the rule, the leeway that the airline would allow is upto them. Plus, an insanely high proportion of people coming from Bangkok get LED's. My cousin told me that everyone except 3-4 people in his flight were carrying TV's. So I presume because the airlines carry so many TV's, they would have fixed rules regarding this. Best to call them and enquire.

I may not be the best person to judge PQ. I saw ES5600, ES6220 and ES7100 together in a showroom with similar picture modes and the same video playing and couldn't make out much of a difference in picture quality. So I got the ES5600. The 7 series does look pretty good and has a lot of extra features like voice recognition, bluetooth etc. if that's important.

Thanks for the response mate, this puts a spanner in the works, but are you sure about the 25kg per ticket rule? generally if it is a group, they look at the total weight, gotta get this sorted. I really wanted to make the best out of this trip with a larger group, thought it would easier to carry a larger screen back.

I may be forced to consider the 46', but what do you think about the best one amongst these models - Es7100 es6030 es6220, my sis seems really impressed with the looks of the ES7100, please comment on which of these has best PQ.
Hi Jasku,

sorry for bothering...if it is 25 kg/person then just let check if your relation can get 1 TV for me... either 40ES5600 or 40ES6220. :)

Thanks for the response raj, the are a group of 5, and allowed limit is 25kg so as long as they are below 125kg in total, they should be good, right

Also any idea as to which is better between Es7100 es6030 es6220??

I have bought the 6220 32 inch and I am quite satisfied. See it depends for example in some airlines they also look at the dimensions. Airlines might charge beyond a certain dimension even if it is within weight limit.

Hi, I am going to Bangkok on 9th of July and I am planning to get a 40" Samsung LED...... but a bit confused about the right place to get it from. So can anyone suggest me a good place to buy TV from Bangkok at the best deal......
Thanks in advance

Hi, I am going to Bangkok on 9th of July and I am planning to get a 40" Samsung LED...... but a bit confused about the right place to get it from. So can anyone suggest me a good place to buy TV from Bangkok at the best deal......
Thanks in advance

Customs to be paid when ull back, remember that.

Also remember manufacturers are gonna announce soon that no technical support for appliances purchased from abroad (especially tvs), even when it's available through official channels.

Just posting as FYI. I just returned from Bangkok after purchasing 40" LED. I bought Samsung 40 UA40F5500 for ~ 16000 after VAT refund. That comes to ~30.4K INR. Airline charges were approximately 1.3K. No customs. Posting prices of other 40" models below in THB

Sony 42w674A - 19000 with VAT

Samsung 5500 - 17200 with VAT

LG LED 42 LM 6200 - 20000 with VAT

Sony brava KDL 40EX650 - 22070 with VAT

Thanks in advance

Hi,
I will give some information on this. My relation recently went and they purchase a Sony Bravia LED TV.

Mod edit: Please do not display your contact number openly. Removed the number.

Just posting as FYI. I just returned from Bangkok after purchasing 40" LED. I bought Samsung 40 UA40F5500 for ~ 16000 after VAT refund. That comes to ~30.4K INR. Airline charges were approximately 1.3K. No customs. Posting prices of other 40" models below in THB

Sony 42w674A - 19000 with VAT

Samsung 5500 - 17200 with VAT

LG LED 42 LM 6200 - 20000 with VAT

Sony brava KDL 40EX650 - 22070 with VAT

Read second part of post, about companies withdrawing support for imported tvs, as in u cant even pay to get it repaired, they'll reject it.

Read second part of post, about companies withdrawing support for imported tvs, as in u cant even pay to get it repaired, they'll reject it.

Yes that is possible. But most likely they will apply it for only tvs which are which are purchased after they announce the restrictions. Not all tvs sold so far

IMO, better to phew some more money in Indian market with ASS & war. Last month, my friend brought Samsung 42"LED @1000 Sing$
This event led in big hassels in all the way to return journey.
-No special packing by seller, even not caring to ans properly
-Shop to Hotel: 10 sing$ Tip
-Hotel to Airport: 20 sing$ Tip to Coach driver
-Airport local handling charge:10 sing$ Tip
-Air India insisted to keep heavy bags as hand bags! to avoid charging on TV... Result:- Carrying heavy weight 3 bags all the way from Sing-Mum-Abd...
-Nothing about "handle with care" at airport transfer.
-INR 3500-Custom Jugard! @ Mumbai
-Clearance @adi airport
-Airport to Home:INR 1000.
....And crap! Remot Control not work, Assembly screw not in packing. Samsung local technician not heard anything and finaly local technician says to replace adaptor with charging INR 5000/-
END OF THE STORY:- Buy from your nearest dealer. Even paying 10-20% bucks more is worth!
No offence here, this is personal opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
@Doremon This is a risk that some of us are willing to take especially when TV's are so expensive here in India and remember it is not 10 to 20% more but generally in the range of 50%. Anything bought in Thailand you do not even pay VAT as that is refunded when you are coming back. Most TV's now have only a 1 year warranty by default and if it lasts for a year you are done. Imagine my entire trip (I did a budget trip of course hostels and all for 8 days) + TV was less than the price of the same TV in India :p

Last edited by a moderator:
With rupee getting lower and lower and govt increasing duty on imported electronics, no company could match imported prices. Even if warranty is two or three years, the price of replacing components would be costly.

^Companies are completely withdrawing support for imported tvs. Warranty ZERO and no authorised service centre will provide paid service.

Will have to get it fixed by local guys.

Any Idea Of what would be the price of a 32incher led? A friend is going to bangkok and i wanted to buy one through him.

^ I saw a Sony 32" 2013 model for 9650 Baht (~17k INR) in Phuket with VAT. Should be around 16k INR after VAT refund. Otherwise prices are around 10-12k Baht, depending on the model and store.

I am not sure the price difference is much these days, given the exchange rates and duty being charged, a friend brought back a couple TVs

55' ES6800 - for 47k Baht plus 14k duty at the airport.
40 F5000 - for 28k INR - think I saw it at ebay for 32k

Back