Video HDTV purchase from Bangkok

Hey guys can u help me?
are Mobile Phones cheaper der,i mean without warranty ones ofcourse, coz i wanted to buy 1
dad is in bangkok right now.
Pls reply

About S.J.M ELECTRONICS

Friends ..

Recently been to thailand ..happened to visit this shop S.J.M electronics and purchased four tvs ..We purchased two smart tvs and two normal tvs .When asked they told that all dongle ie wifi dongles for samsung smart tv are inside the box only ..and when asked for checking they said not necessary as they said they r selling like this many tvs daily .

So we also didnt check..but when came to india and opened the tv box ..we found no wifi dongle.So please aware of this shop .Mr Venkat i am also from coimbatore ..venkat do u or anyone in this post has the email id of this shop or any other contact information of this shop ..not which is thr on thr visiting card ..since the email printed on it..they r not responding the same .And when i called him they just pick the call ...when i say i am from india ..they will hang up the phone .So friends please give me thr contact details and please if anyone visit this shop especially from coimbatore ..please tell me .

Hope to get the help from your people .

Regards
Navin Bansali

Hi Navin,

Good you shared your experience. What model you purchased and whats the price (split up of TV, customs, etc), please share...

Thanks,
Padmanabhan P

@navin, I bought my TV from a mall in Siam Square itself. Very nice folks. Gave me a disocunt and all. I bought my TV for around Rs 32000 (Samsung 6220, 32 inch 3D smart TV) after VAT refund in airport. (You will get a 7% VAT refund in airport). The legal limit for more than 3 day stay is 35000. Since all 32 inch TV's are priced less than that customs will generally not stop you for a 32 inch. 46 inch there is a definite chance of being stopped and asked for bills etc. The technical payment is 36.5% of the amount above 35000. Example: If your bill says 32000 baht (32*1.86=Rs 59.5). So you have to pay customs of (59.5-35)*.365=rs 8900. This is the legal amount and sometimes they may charge more or less based on their mood etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got a 42" inch Led 3d for 19,000/- THB. So about 33K.....and paid no duty at all while bringing it in.
Its just how the customs guys are on that day and how you know your rghts and can't convince them that it is lesser then the leagal amount of 36K one is allowed to bring in per person.

Good thread. Glad I found it. Some of my family members are going to bangkok next week and have agreed to get an LED TV for me. Can anyone tell me where is the best place to buy them. I think I read Bangkok LED and SJM electronics somewhere. Can someone give me the exact address(preferably the rough location on Google maps)

Infected - What model did you buy? And what about installation. Can we get it done from the company in India?

raj_pol is it 3 days and above or only above 3 days. Because my family members will leave on Thursday evening and return on Monday morning.

Also does the airline charge anything extra as long as the weight is below the overall limit? Would you know what was the approx. weight of the TV you bought?

sansojo @prime

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Beware-Duty-Free-theft-Scam-t261481.html

For The safety Of our TE Members
Precaution is always Better
Thanx

@Manu... I stayed for a day over a week so I am not sure of the first question. For the next, I travelled by Indigo. They were not bothered with the number of bags as long as it was within 20 Kg. However they are strict with the requirement. A lot of travellers (We Indians have this habit of haggling which I personally detest even with the airport officials) were charged extra.They even have a special queue for dudes with TV's. :) My TV was around 8.5 kgs(it was a slim LED, the LCD's would weigh more). Similarly they check for hand baggage weight and should be within 7 kgs. Generally hand baggage weight is not checked in Indian airports but they are strict in other airports even if it is an Indian carrier.

@raj_pol Thanks. They are travelling via IndiGo as well so that will be very useful. I am thinking of the same model but in 42" so hopefully it wont exceed 14kg. With regards to buying the TV, are there any special precautions to be taken. They should take the invoice and a VAT refund form?

Can One Bring a Laptop and a Cell Phone Along with the Led or LCD Will it attract Customs..
I mean if i buy a used or New Laptop or Cellphone,and throw away the Box and Accessories,do we still need to pay any duty.
Mobiles,tablets and Laptops Can be easily carried in Hand.
Can some share some info on it.
Thanx in advance

If you open the laptop/mobile, it won't be a problem since they won't know whether it was purchased or you owned it before.

If you open the laptop/mobile, it won't be a problem since they won't know whether it was purchased or you owned it before.
Do I need to declare something before Going
Can i put the laptop box in my Luggage and carry the laptop personally will that do.

Do I need to declare something before Going
Can i put the laptop box in my Luggage and carry the laptop personally will that do.

I am not sure what the official rules are regarding this but when I went to Bangkok, I did purchase a laptop, opened it and carried it in the laptop bag I got with it. Didn't have to pay any duties.

I am not sure what the official rules are regarding this but when I went to Bangkok, I did purchase a laptop, opened it and carried it in the laptop bag I got with it. Didn't have to pay any duties.

Can One Bring two laptops saying One for Business and One as a Personal use

Hi,
on 29 Jan 2013 I want to buy sony 55" Hx750 or above models and I am flying back to India (Hyderabad).
As per the blog information only up to 35k and 40" are allowed but also mentioned there are some other ways to deal at Hyd airport. Any way that si common.
Also if Sony PS3 is cheap I want to buy one of that as well.
can please some body tell me the best place and price if it is available.
And process to claim VAt at airport( before checking in or after check in) . Just we need to show receipts only? or TV as well?

Please tell me as I am new to this blog and first time to Bangkok. 1 day for shopping.

I Much appreciate your help.

Thank you

I just got a 42" inch Led 3d for 19,000/- THB. So about 33K.....and paid no duty at all while bringing it in.
Its just how the customs guys are on that day and how you know your rghts and can't convince them that it is lesser then the leagal amount of 36K one is allowed to bring in per person.

Which model did you purchase?

Back