Audio Head-Direct RE-262: Impressions, Comparisons and Discussion thread

esanthosh said:
^ I hope they release a true successor to RE-252. I had not heard the 252 for sometime now and was taken aback by how much I still like them.

I think a slight bit more bass extension combined with the cable, shells, sound stage, imaging, bass quantity and cleanliness of RE-262, throwing in a bit of e-Q5's airiness while retaining other sound characteristics of RE-252 would make for an amazing IEM.
Nice review santhosh
i hope head-direct consider ur suggestion :)

waiting for RE262 v/s SM3 comparison.
+1

@mukul,

The order of comparison is down-up based on my own (not so firm) rankings within the top-tier. So, it would be DDM, e-Q5, TF10, {FX700, DBA-02 and SM3}. Of these, I'm yet to make up my mind about where to rank e-Q5. DDM is with Faheem, but I am in no hurry to get them back as I'm thinking of a long shootout of Brainwavz vs Xears somewhere down the line for which I need his M1 & M2 :eek:hyeah:. Besides, I think unlike me, it needs some more mental adjustment to the unique presentation of DDM for most others. I don't want him to hurry back at all. So, DDM will be out of order and probably last of the comparisons. e-Q5 should be up next - something I've wanted to do since both have a similar mid-focus approach, but are very different in how they get there!

Think it's better explained by Brendon or Faheem ;). It has a blended presentation instead of separating stuff like normal IEMs do.

Why not quote ljokerl for you until then?

From Multi-IEM Review - 138 IEMs compared (Meelectronics CX21 & CW31 added 01/26) - Page 87 - Head-Fi.org Community

I haven't heard the DDM in a while but from memory I'd say the DDM is more textured and blended while the 262 is smoother and better-separated. DDM has more sub-bass, slightly less forward mids, and slightly crisper treble but I think the RE262 extends farther up top. It's also much easier to get used to (sound-wise) as the DDM has a somewhat unnatural sound at first listen for reasons I couldn't explain.

RE-262 vs e-Q5 : I don't want to merge it with this post. Need somebody else to bump ;)

^ Thanks :)

RE-262 vs e-Q5

Introduction

I wanted to compare these two for sometime now. On paper, both are top-tier IEMs with a mid range focus, but without sacrificing bass and treble completely. But, that's where similarities end. Actually, there's one more, but that's a few paras down.

Build Quality:

While RE-262's cable looks like a rope compared to the 252's pathetic cable, it's simply no match for the thicker e-Q5 cable. But, RE-262's cable from Y-Split to the drivers is a bit more thicker compared to that of e-Q5. The beefed up Y-Split on the e-Q5 almost looks ominous compared to the usual Hifiman Y-Split. e-Q5 does not have a strain relief into the shells, whereas 262 has a decent strain relief there, but that's hardly an advantage given the better quality construction of the e-Q5. The Hifiman has the right angled plug compared to the better strain relieved straight plug of the e-Q5. Oh! e-Q5 does not have a chin slider and 262 has a useless one, so they are about equal there.

When it comes to the looks department, it looks like a contest between the beauty (of e-Q5) and the beast (of 262). There's no way those gorgeous metal shells of e-Q5 can be rivaled by the plastic shells of 262.

{Photos?}

Test Setup

Clip+ #1 (Vol: -27, No EQ) -> e-Q5

Clip+ #2 (Vol: 0, EQ as mentioned in first post) -> iBasso T3 (No gain, Vol: 5) -> RE-262

Song list: Same as the one used for RE-262 vs RE-252 and then some random listening for comparison.

Sound Quality:

Before I started this comparison, I expected 262 to win comprehensively. When I wrote the e-Q5 impressions, I did not have the 262 to compare and when I wrote 262's, my e-Q5s were on a small tour. From memory, I thought that 262 had no equal, but it turns out that the actual ground reality is not so.

When it comes to bass, both are similar. They are slightly on the softer side and do not extend deep enough to produce rumbles. e-Q5's bass has some texture, but has a long decay. It matters when listening to genres that require a quick decay and impact. RE-262 has a better texture, quantity and faster decay. When I tried out e-Q5 with Clip+ #2 (T3 Vol around 1), Mids improved a bit, but bass got a little muddy. So, I did the rest of the comparison with the test setup mentioned above.

Mids is where it gets really interesting. e-Q5's mids are well forward, but when A/B-ing don't appear that forward when compared to RE-262. e-Q5 has a thinner note bordering on crispness I usually want from my mids. In comparison, RE-262's notes are a little hefty and hearty, but are not at the level where I'd call them thick (SM3 is thick, for example). Due to the thinner, slightly crisper notes, details are easily gleaned from e-Q5 when compared to the smoothened RE-262. e-Q5 also has a slightly better timbre, slightly warmer, a bit more lush. With Vocals, RE-262 is surprisingly smooth, glossing over vocal sibilance in the recordings. e-Q5 is not that forgiving though. It is not sibilant, but if the recording had vocal sibilance in them, you'll be made to know, a case of better transparency. I'd say I would happy with either in technical terms.

Treble is where I was surprised. RE-262 has a laid-back, but detailed treble. But when compared to e-Q5's crisper, more forward treble, 262 does appear a little fluffy. They both have sparkle when needed, but not at the level brighter IEMs like RE0, DBA-02 or even RE-252 do. e-Q5's perceived forwardness has more to do with the lack of depth, making the treble more intimate than the slightly distant 262. Relatively speaking, e-Q5 has better balance of treble with mids than RE-262. Both won't satisfy a treble-head, but I'd put e-Q5 ahead.

Coming to the Sound stage and presentation, RE-262 takes the lead again. e-Q5 has a slightly wider than normal sound stage, but it's not as wide as the at times out of ear 262 tends to be. Sound stage height is one area where e-Q5 can hold it's own. While RE-262 can be very slightly above the head sometimes, e-Q5 uses the height of sound stage far more than most other IEMs. But this is where it loses out too. e-Q5 uses the height more to compensate for the lack of depth, where 262 wins hands down.

When it comes to imaging, again e-Q5 does put up a fight. It is more airy than the RE-262. Even with the limited space to work with, in comparison to RE-262, e-Q5 does imaging well enough to make it free from congestion in complex passages. It does lack the clean, ethereal positioning of 262, but that is to be expected.

When it comes to the engagement aspect, probably the most important one, (technicalities apart,) RE-262 wins easily. The laid back treble does not take the focus away from the smooth mids and bass is in a better supporting role. e-Q5 on it's own can be engaging, but it does not have any special qualities that make IEMs like Hippo VB (Sub-bass), FX700 (timbre, open sound stage), TF10 (quick, detailed and fun) stand out in our memory. If I were to characterize both these IEMs based on this listening session alone, I'd say RE-262 is the colored, smoother, musical, mid-focused IEM whereas e-Q5 is the balanced IEM with a very slight tilt towards brightness.

Conclusion

It's a fair fight. But, I found 262 a little more easier on the ears for longer sessions. There are times in this comparison when I started to listen to RE-262, but forgot to switch over to my other Clip+ with e-Q5.

e-Q5 Pros over 262:

1. Build quality and Looks
  2. Timbre
  3. Slightly crisper and detailed in the mids
  4. Treble (slightly)
  5. Easier to drive. Good for low volume listening.

RE-262 over e-Q5:

1. Faster decaying bass with better quantity
  2. Smoothness with no sibilance in Vocals
  3. Imaging, Sound stage
  4. More engaging for longer sessions

Esanthosh, now this is news! IIRC for the first time, you put a 'laid back/smooth treble' IEM over a brighter one! The Re262 must be special.
But I am not still getting a lucid picture as to comparison of the mids of both!
Mukulymn, special thanks to you bro for enabling and initiating this comparison.:)

Damn! this auto-merge is killing me. I'd need one more bump from another member before I can post TF10 vs RE-262 later on.

@mukul,

That's roughly how they are.

@iaudio,

Yep! RE-262 are indeed special. Perhaps, if you are here when TPs come in, you'd get a chance to listen to the 262s as well.

Oh! On that smooth vs bright, SM3 is already on top over DBA-02 and FX700 ;).

On the mids, I was trying to translate the differences into words and may have gone nowhere. Let's see if this works out -

e-Q5 is a bit more crisp with details, but not as crisp as RE-252. RE-262 on the other hand sounds relaxed, a bit more fleshed out, smoothened. RE-262 is very forgiving with sibilant recordings as it smoothens them over. e-Q5 while not "on the edge" sibilant, does tend to reproduce sibilant vocals with a lot less smoothening. You will hear "ssss", but not harshly as is the case with Hippo VB or Klipsch S4 etc., So, if you are in the mood for a bit more detail, still lush, warm vocals and don't mind the occasional hint of sibilance, you'd likely pick e-Q5. But, if you are in mood for a long session of relaxed listening, you're likely to go with RE-262. I have a leg here and a leg there, which is why I mentioned that I don't mind either of them.

Hope it is clearer. I guess I should be a bit more verbose than trying to condense?

esanthosh, PM me about your schedule! Lets see if I can work out a Coimbatore visit!

And yes, your wish is granted my dear friend. :)

RE-262 vs Triple Fi 10

Introduction

This comparison is more like listing out the differences in driver technology than the difference between two IEMs. I did not take too much time for this comparison as the differences were very clear within a shorter A/B.

Sound Quality

OK! I just skipped a couple of sections because I got lazy. Also there are many TF10s floating around in TE and most have an idea of how they look like. Anybody following the thread has an idea about what I think of RE-262's build quality. Besides, I cannot compare the cable as I am using Twilight cable with TF10.

As for the Setup section, The setup and song set are similar as the e-Q5 comparison. So, please look up that post and the RE-252 comparison post.

Bass of TF10 can be called muddy. There, I just said that! That's what I thought as soon as I began playing "Tear Drop". RE-262's bass is quick, textured, but soft and not well extended. TF10's bass is thickish sounding, which gives raise to the 'muddy' comment with some songs. When tested over a variety of genres, it does not seem muddy at all. It is quick, very well extended and has excellent impact. Quantity wise, it's only a bit more than RE-262 and not huge. I don't mind either, but if forced to choose, I'll go with RE-262 despite it's lack of extension and impact.

When it comes to Mids, I find both of them to be similarly warm and moreover, similarly thicker in notes. RE-262's mids are very forward whereas TF10's mids are just more in balance with bass and treble - really, I don't hear them as recessed as many people do. TF10 like a true BA, is good at splitting and spitting out each minor and micro-detail there is. RE-262 is focused more on musicality and hence does not strive for accurate reproduction. RE-262 has timbre, texture, lushness and smoothness which makes them more clean and natural sounding, especially with vocals. TF10 has a sort of artificial timbre to it. I did not like it with Female vocals and Jazz ("So What"). TF10 can be said to sound a bit dry and lifeless when compared to RE-262. But, once I start listening to TF10 for more than a few minutes, I did not really care. I really don't mind either depending on my mood. But, I like RE-262's liquid mids by a margin here.

With treble, TF10 is thinner, quick and sparkling - right about how I want them. No competition from RE-262 there.

I've always perceived TF10 to be more deep than wide. But, when it came to the actual comparison, I find RE-262 to be just a tad more wider. If TF10 can sound a bit within the edge of my ears, RE-262 goes a bit out of my ears. Height though is better with RE-262 by a notch more. In terms of depth, RE-262 beats TF10 by a small margin.

With imaging, I did not find fault with TF10's placement at all. RE-262 does the same thing, but with a bit more sense of space, say a bit more to the left, a bit higher etc., TF10 has a nice balance of bass, mids and treble. RE-262 is more focused on mids with bass playing support and treble, a minor supporting role. On the whole though, RE-262 sounds coherent when compared to TF10.

Conclusion

To me, this was more like a battle of equals. Instead of Pros and Cons, it's a matter of choice choosing between these two.

If you need more details, bass impact, treble - choose TF10

If you need a musical, coherent, smoother, relaxing experience - choose RE-262

Sorry if you expected a bit more :ashamed:

Mukulymn, special thanks to you bro for enabling and initiating this comparison.

I m busy practicing guitar ths days......so i send them for a trip

though after reading ths review i need to request santhosh if he cn send eq5 for a trip to pune....:)

Oh! On that smooth vs bright, SM3 is already on top over DBA-02 and FX700 .

sm3 vs 262.....will be gud to read. Tht will give me a very gud idea hw sm3 are...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Sorry if you expected a bit more

i hope no one will be disappointed :)

excellent comparison

in the first tier of my TF10 ownership (....:ashamed: ) i liked the bass quite a lot, it was quick and textured went deep had good slam. then i sold them to fund my miracle purchase ( also because i did not quite like the soundstage of TF10 , width wise)

almost 3 months after, Tf10's second-coming in my ears, was not so great. :( , i found it loose ( thats the only word i could think of, sorry TF10 lovers :( ) in bass, after listening to the miracle, i am not comparing the IEMs, its just that even in universals i now find Fx700 to have better bass overall when compared to TF10.

Re262 has better body, and FX700 has better extension and slam to its bass.

santosh about tips , you have tried the stock normal black tips of re262 ? i liked the bi-flanges, but the stock-normal tips improves the body a lot!.

also try the re262 with TF10 stock tips. you might be surprised.

@mukul,

I am retaining e-Q5 for a few days more to compare them and make up my mind about them. Will surely send it to you afterwards. Technicalities apart, both brendon and myself like 262 over e-Q5. It'd be interesting to see what you think about them.

@strategy,

I am using them with a V-Moda compatible tip from LostEarBuds (Clear single flanges). I've not tried the hifiman tips or the bi-flanges yet. Will try with the TF10 tips.

On my ranking, RE-262 has crossed over RE-252, e-Q5 and TF10. That leaves DDM (after sometime) and the 'golden trio' of DBA-02, SM3 and FX700. This week should be very interesting for me.

Edit: My tastes are shifting a bit. Even until a few months ago, all I cared was details, neutrality and a bit of treble. With the arrival of IEMs like DDM, HJE900 and FX700, I am beginning to like and look for things like timbre, texture - things I'd not have bothered about earlier. I am at heart still an analytical IEM lover, but the variety I am exposed to in the last few months has been nothing short of amazing. I especially enjoy doing this sort of comparison series. Lot of thanks goes out to mukul. I hope it's at least a bit useful for others :)

Well after trying FX700, LCD2 and Miracle , i look foreword for realistic timbre too.

treble bass, mids, treble, timbre , sound stage , imaging , speed, are most important aspects i look ins a headphone. ( lol, i am greedy, i want it all. :ashamed: )

santosh check PM ( be very afraid)

^^^ lol
tht reminds me of somethng

whn i started reading head-fi(back in 2003-04)
i used to think shure se530 as the ultimate thing in SQ
Few years later i started believing tht an iem who can bring out the details in music very well, will be very gud to hear

so thn i bought my first IEM RE0
when i first inserted thm into my ears, i was startled. WTF, they dont seem to be tht gud. May be i shud burn in them for 100+ hrs.
after 100+ hrs it changed but still lacking. May be it was bass.
I Eq-ed it and found them to be gud. I was happy wth them.

But when i listened to 262, i realized, wht i was missing in iems like re1, s4 and re0. Now a days i love hw 262 pulls me into the music. I just close my eyes and whtever i play, sounds good on thm, though technically they are not the best and doesnt sound balanced or neutral.
Previously i used to prefer some genres, now tht line is dimnishing. All i see now is music

ppl hear differently,
whts good acc to santhosh,faheem,brendon,achal etc etc might not be gud for u(a advice to first time mid/high priced iem buyer)
U have to try various iems. Sometimes even a 100$ iem can give u immense satisfaction.

lol, the thing is , when ever i listen to music on say , X, i go on thinking , Man i wish this had the treble and timbre of HP "Y" , while retaining the bass their bass response. :p

HD800 are said to be the most technically efficient Headphones ( yeah , some disagree, and there is one new contender) but still people buy R10, and stax omega2 which are not as analytical but still produce lovable sound.

^^ i messaged u sumthng regd wht u said

check tht out :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

^^ contender to hd800....r u talking about he6??

Back