CPU/Mobo Help! 3 Beeps & Then System Shuts Down

DavyJones

Disciple
hi guys,

Recently i encountered a problem. Before describing the problem i will state my system config. i5 2500, DH67CL, 8GB RAM (4GB x 2), MSI GTX 550 Ti, 500GB HDD, Corsair CX430, APC 650VA UPS.

So my problem started while i was playing a high end video game, suddenly my power went off and strangely my apc 650va ups couldn't handle the full load and it shuts down for 1 sec ( battery charge was 100% at that time ) . my system shuts down as a result of that. when i tried to start the system after that it start to beep 3 times then shuts down again (the complete process took 3 secs ). According to the beep codes of my mobo, 3 beeps = memory failure. So i took the 2 memory sticks out and then tried both of them one at a time on all the 4 memory slots. still the same beep sound occurs. I tried to check the psu by only connecting one fan and then shorting the green & black cable of the 24pin connector. psu fan & the external fan runs without any problem.

Then after two days i tried to start the system and it worked flawlessly. but being a nutcase
<
i again started playing games and again power went off & again my apc couldn't handle the load. Now when i try to start the system it shows the same problem. 3 beeps & shuts down.

I don't know why my APC 650VA ups failed to handle the full load.I spent 3000 rs on ups to avoid such problem. I know i need to replace the UPS. but i'm confused about my system. I still can't figure out which part of my system needs to be replaced? . Is it my mobo or my psu or my cpu. I don't think the prob lies in the memory sticks b'coz two sticks can't stop working at the same time. What you guys think???

I doubt that, if a PSU shuts due to overload, you will get no power at all, until it resets itself. No beeps no nothing. I think your UPS maybe messing things up. Why are you using one in anycase? Try without it.

Other than that I cant think of anything else except GFX Card. Mobos/CPU/Bad Mems dont recover automatically. And if a PSU shuts due to overload, then it will not give any power at all.

Connect the system to AC outlet and check , if it works without beeps then its UPS's fault , then while the system is plugged to AC outlet , run OCCT power supply test ( stresses every part of PC to get max psu load ) , if it turns off again then it could be ur PSU .

if its PSU , then maybe some capacitor etc is heating up on load which makes it fail to power on again ,,

What is your motherboard model number? Is it Award/Phoenix bios or AMI bios? One long beep and 3 short beeps is almost certainly graphics card. I had the same problem and I have and Award Bios.

Edit: Just noticed that you had posted your motherboard model number above. Looks like your motherboard has Phoenix Award bios. One long beep and three short beeps on an Award bios is a graphics card issue. Try reseating the card. If it works for a few days and then you get the same error codes, you might need to replace/repair the graphics c

if the problem is of the UPS, its not necessary that its creating problems just because it cannot handle the full load.. the problem might be in the switching speed of the UPS from AC power outlet to battery power.. i dont know the time set in different UPS's, but theres a certain time in milliseconds in which the UPS is supposed to switch the power supply incase of power failure. if that doesnt happen, the delay causes the equipment to shutdown.. this happens in my APC ups too, but not everytime. sometimes it switches in time, sometimes it does not..

If its just 3 beeps then also check the RAM sticks, plug in only one at a time, remove and clean before refitting.

if it was the ups it would've reset after the beeps when there was power fluctutation. i had to change my ups recently from a megatech 500va i was using before to an apc backups 1100va now. the problems started when i switched from a vip 600w smps to a seasonic x-850. it was because the seasonic has active pfc which is said to be needing a ups with pure sine wave which are pretty expensive. even my vip 600w was supposed to have active pfc though, but it was working just fine with my old ups.

also check by simply switching the ups mains power on & off a couple of times to see if the ups is holding up, can handle the load & if switching time is adequate.

but u mentioned that its shutting down, which sounds like some other problem. probably your gpu like the other guys said. you could still do the above to make sure your ups is still good atleast
<

Back