Help building a Sandy Bridge Gaming Rig

Amien said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that have more to do with the display/API rather than the raw grunt of the GPU?
Also, you might want to hold on for a bit:-
http://www.techenclave.com/cpu-mobo-corner/intel-hit-sandy-bridge-design-flaw-183513.html
Yup, you are wrong :)

nVidia 3D Vision basically renders twice as many frames as are usually required. That is why you have the 120Hz monitors. That means your GPU needs to draw 60 frames per second for each of your eyes. hence the the 120Hz rating for the monitor.

babu.mohan10 said:
@avinash4

Let's see, I am expecting to get a quotation on all the components today. IF the guy has found all the stuff that is. I hope he has, he was pretty sure that I'd get all the stuff I need.

Will check with S.Tech too, thanks for letting me know :)
Yes, Sumit is the only person in Pune to get high end stuff but charges way too high !! Where you spend 1.4L in Mumbai he would charge you 1.5L here !! I guess thats a considerable difference to you !! Have PMed you !!

stalker said:
Yup, you are wrong :)

nVidia 3D Vision basically renders twice as many frames as are usually required. That is why you have the 120Hz monitors. That means your GPU needs to draw 60 frames per second for each of your eyes. hence the the 120Hz rating for the monitor.
Ah, thanks. How does this work exactly? Split screen that merges when you put on the glasses/toggle 3D mode for your display?
So basically, you're saying that there is a 50% performance hit while using 3D right? I reckon that despite that the GTX 580 is overkill for 1080p.

Amien said:
Ah, thanks. How does this work exactly? Split screen that merges when you put on the glasses/toggle 3D mode for your display?
So basically, you're saying that there is a 50% performance hit while using 3D right? I reckon that despite that the GTX 580 is overkill for 1080p.
Nope. Frames are rendered twice. Once for the right eye and then for the left eye. The nvidia glasses have active shutters in them that alternatively switch on/off each eye. It happens so fast that our brain processes this as a single image. In 3D.

Thinking of going with the following for now :(. Would appreciate suggestions ( only Intel though no AMD)

CPU - Intel Core i7 950 - approx 13500
Mobo - Asus SABERTOOTH-X58 - approx 12k

babu.mohan10 said:
Thinking of going with the following for now :(. Would appreciate suggestions ( only Intel though no AMD)

CPU - Intel Core i7 950 - approx 13500
Mobo - Asus SABERTOOTH-X58 - approx 12k

CPU - Intel Core i7 950 - ~14.5k
Sabertooth X58 price is ~11k :)

stalker said:
Nope. Frames are rendered twice. Once for the right eye and then for the left eye. The nvidia glasses have active shutters in them that alternatively switch on/off each eye. It happens so fast that our brain processes this as a single image. In 3D.
Thanks yet again, although I'm still trying to gauge what the performance hit would be while using 3D/if any. Thoughts?

babu.mohan10 said:
Is there any alternative/ more powerful proccy from AMD in the same range ?
Naaa... With your budget and the i7 950 + X58 would be the way to go (Since its not advisable to get SB at this point)

AMD alternative

AMD PhenomII X6 1090T BE ~ 10.5k

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ 8.2k/ Asus M4A89GTD-PROU3 - 8.5k

Amien said:
Thanks yet again, although I'm still trying to gauge what the performance hit would be while using 3D/if any. Thoughts?
When using 3D FPS will be reduced to half. So if I get an average fps of 90fps in a game in 2D, I will get 45 when playing in 3D

@DA

>>It will double the bandwidth

Not sure I got this part. eventually these will be using USB, Sata or PCI express interface. So these will share the bandwidth along with other hardware.

(My bad if you were not speaking of interface but the HDD hardware only)

babu.mohan10 said:
When using 3D FPS will be reduced to half. So if I get an average fps of 90fps in a game in 2D, I will get 45 when playing in 3D
Thanks, had deduced that much already. Waiting on stalker's reply.

Back