Help building a Sandy Bridge Gaming Rig

Im using the tempest evo,its a nice case too bad its not available,corsair 650d is also a good case but i think its availability is less,you can get the lankool k-62 is also a great case,haf x would also be good if you have space,but i can say that the UD7 board will give a better oc,if you have sufficient cooling and will last longer than the asus board since it has better chipset cooling.

linux said:
I hope this could help you (just corrected a typo), feed free to ask more about it:
http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buyin...ost-animation-video-182395-6.html#post1710139

Well, may I know the reason behind choosing a GTX580 card?
Next, would you like to use a RAID config for 2 SSDs?
I would suggest you to stop making such sweeping (dumb) statements; one should never forget that there will be always more smarter people in this world!
yes ofcourse... But u shud never forget that there are more dumb ppl like u in this world than smarter ppl...

@linus

I don't plan to have 2 x SSD in RAID. Should I ? Will there be a huge difference in performance ?

And I chose the GTX 580 as its best single GPU in the market right now, I am not really keen on getting ATI as NVIDIA has 3D Vision which I will use later on once better 3D monitors start coming.

@Hades

I like the NZXT tempest evo the best as it looks awesome!!! And it is available for 5k. :clap:

Oh and I decided to go with Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM 1 TB x2 as its the best performing and a more reliable HDD than the Seagate Barracuda HDD ( Many negative reports on reliability)

IS it recommended to have them configured in RAID 0 ?

babu.mohan10 said:
@linus

I don't plan to have 2 x SSD in RAID. Should I ? Will there be a huge difference in performance ?

And I chose the GTX 580 as its best single GPU in the market right now, I am not really keen on getting ATI as NVIDIA has 3D Vision which I will use later on once better 3D monitors start coming.

@Hades
I like the NZXT tempest evo the best as it looks awesome!!! And it is available for 5k. :clap:
Oh and I decided to go with Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 RPM 1 TB x2 as its the best performing and a more reliable HDD than the Seagate Barracuda HDD ( Many negative reports on reliability)
IS it recommended to have them configured in RAID 0 ?
*No TRIM support while using RAID, stick to a single SSD for now.
*GPU(GTX 580) = overkill for 1080p, consider a 2560 x 1600 screen/multi-monitor setup if space/cost is not an issue unless you like having a large amount of headroom for future games(should be irrelevant since you are thinking of multi-GPU eventually).
*Spend a decent amount on sound/input to round the config. off better.
*I would avoid MSI cards/motherboards for the time being if i were you.

Amien said:
*GPU(GTX 580) = overkill for 1080p, consider a 2560 x 1600 screen/multi-monitor setup if space/cost is not an issue unless you like having a large amount of headroom for future games(should be irrelevant since you are thinking of multi-GPU eventually).
Thanks
I am going for the Asus XONAR STX + Audio Engine A5 speakers.
I will eventually also upgrade to a 3D monitor and play games in 3D, and for that I think GTX 580 is not overkill.
MSI GTX 580 OC was suggested as the best GTX 580 card in another thread:S

Amien said:

Agreed that MSI is not a Tier-1 mobo manufacturer like Asus and Gigabyte and its better to go for these for top of line products.

But they do make decent GPU's.Why avoid MSI? Only other GTX580 in the indian market is the Zotac and Asus cards. I would suggest a Asus P67 Pro/Deluxe and a MSI GTX580.

DarkAngel said:
Agreed that MSI is not a Tier-1 mobo manufacturer like Asus and Gigabyte and its better to go for these for top of line products.

But they do make decent GPU's.Why avoid MSI? Only other GTX580 in the indian market is the Zotac and Asus cards. I would suggest a Asus P67 Pro/Deluxe and a MSI GTX580.
I am going with Gigabyte P67a UD7 mobo. It seems to be the best P67 board right now and is more reliable than ASUS and more stable too. And yeah MSI GTX 580 seems to be better and plus its factory overclocked :)

DarkAngel said:
This is just personal experience, a lot of their stuff seems to be failing recently. A friend also had a bad RMA experience not too long ago. Absolutely nothing wrong with going with them otherwise.

Hades. said:
yes ofcourse... But u shud never forget that there are more dumb ppl like u in this world than smarter ppl...
I can see you have no substance to defend yourself and uneducated.

babu.mohan10 said:
@linux
Yep, I would suggest no to use RAID till you are experienced with it. Actually, most of the Desktop Users has no real reason to use it, they simply fall to the MOBO marketing features or if someone says it so.

babu.mohan10 said:
Indeed. But what are you planning to do with that card? Only for Gaming? Well, I use ATI cards to cater by business requirements such as running multiple apps in Eyefinity mode (eliminates building lot of PCs), GPU encoding etc. Hardly any gaming on those pilot machines. We are still evaluating the performance of those machines by cramming up with lot of applications (Design, Modeling and Simulation), also in Virtualization and Vt-d modes because we will build more high end machines (20 or so) by picking up the best board which delivers the best results as the final platform.

I suggest you to have a look at Sapphire 6950 card as it supports 3D too (HD3D feature) plus it costs far less compared to GTX 580; speed is not every thing if one understands enough about CPU/GPU. Anyway, if you wish to choose such cards, make sure you check with the case, PSU and the CPU cooler. I pick coolers (from Thermalright, Prolimatech and Scythe) based on my custom configurations and desired cooling levels. Lastly, MSI products are not that bad as prejudiced and if you happen to consider ASUS then go for Deluxe if you plan for SLI/CFX. Else, Pro is more than sufficient (if you care for UEFI; booting speed). Good luck!

Q: What is your budget?

1 lac - 1.5 lacs

Here's the best suggestion I can give.

Seeing your budget, and that LGA 2011 and Bulldozer will be released soon, (Bulldozer upto 16 cores and LGA 2011 maybe 16 cores too), I would say no to buying such an expensive Sandy Bridge, and wait a few months if you can. Or you buy the rest of the rig, but buy some 2nd hard COre2Quad setup temporary for 2-3 months(which will still provide more than enuf juice for gaming).

LGA 2011 and Sandy Bridge-E is expected to be released in Q3 2011. And Ivy Bridge is expected to be released during next CES. Similar to sandy bridge schedule.

Bulldozer commercial production supposed to start in April 2011. Guess it'll be released by May.

linux said:
I can see you have no substance to defend yourself and uneducated.
Yep, I would suggest no to use RAID till you are experienced with it. Actually, most of the Desktop Users has no real reason to use it, they simply fall to the MOBO marketing features or if someone says it so.
Indeed. But what are you planning to do with that card? Only for Gaming? Well, I use ATI cards to cater by business requirements such as running multiple apps in Eyefinity mode (eliminates building lot of PCs), GPU encoding etc. Hardly any gaming on those pilot machines. We are still evaluating the performance of those machines by cramming up with lot of applications (Design, Modeling and Simulation), also in Virtualization and Vt-d modes because we will build more high end machines (20 or so) by picking up the best board which delivers the best results as the final platform.

I suggest you to have a look at Sapphire 6950 card as it supports 3D too (HD3D feature) plus it costs far less compared to GTX 580; speed is not every thing if one understands enough about CPU/GPU. Anyway, if you wish to choose such cards, make sure you check with the case, PSU and the CPU cooler. I pick coolers (from Thermalright, Prolimatech and Scythe) based on my custom configurations and desired cooling levels. Lastly, MSI products are not that bad as prejudiced and if you happen to consider ASUS then go for Deluxe if you plan for SLI/CFX. Else, Pro is more than sufficient (if you care for UEFI; booting speed). Good luck!
I have seen noobs like u before in other forums trying to prove themselves more knowledgable than other users...

and u noob if u'll check my above post i've never said that those enthusiast boards performs bad or something... Those boards are created for ppl who want every bit of performance... If op buys this board he will hardly get above 1 to 2 fps in games and he will only get 500 to 1k more points in 3dmark vantage... For almost 10k more 5 to 10 percent performance is not really worth imo... And btw u suggested him an ati card for 3d? Nvidia is better for 3d coz nvidia driver has better support for 3d... U know wat if u dont know anything dont suggest ppl things here on te...
Checkout this link: Http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/3
this link may help u to get some knowledge about ATI HD3D and Nvidia 3D Vision...

Let's see - you're spending ~30K on a GPU so you can play at 1920x1080?

The power of that GPU is wasted on that puny little screen. A 6950 2GB or 560Ti will provide indistinguishable performance at that resolution. There is no difference between 1 million FPS and 60.

Donate the rest of your money to charity. Or simply get a bigger monitor.

My "upgrade for the poor" fund is open for charity. :p

On a serious note, there is substance in what Hades says but he could've done without the dumb ppl comment. A high end motherboard like the UD7 is for LN2'ers and pro-overclockers looking to get every last mhz out of that processor, you are better off with the UD5 or the UD3R for that matter.

The i7 2600K and i5 2500K do not differ vastly in the gaming field, except for a few games.

And GTX580 and 1080p? WTH!

I say go for 3 dispays! Hell yeah!

At that budget I am pretty sure you can even SLI GTX580's, which again would be useless at 1080p, sure there is performance gain, but 1600p is where the game's at. :p

Also, the NZXT Phantom is the extent of l33tness. It's an awesome looking awesome with superb cooling functionality, also you might want to look at the Corsair 800D

babu.mohan10 said:
@Hades

How is the NZXT Phantom ?
See suggesting u something is very hard coz u change ur mind every now and then... Buy wat ur heart says... I m done suggesting u things...

@overlord
i agree wid u... :)

BTW will you find all the stuff in Pune !! Its kinda highly possible and price for all this will be vry high !! S.Tech common loot him !! Lol;-)

@avinash4

Let's see, I am expecting to get a quotation on all the components today. IF the guy has found all the stuff that is. I hope he has, he was pretty sure that I'd get all the stuff I need.

Will check with S.Tech too, thanks for letting me know :)

And guys, you keep forgetting I mentioned 3D at 1080p :p

I don't think GTX 580 is overkill for 3D @ 1080p

Back