Help building optimized rig in this budget

cyberboy_varad said:
^ ok, got the fusion concept now :)

BTW AMD Athlon X4 or Phenom X2? what's the difference in actual performance?

Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News -- the quad-core Athlon II mauls the dual cored Phenom II in all benches except single ones, where the higher clocked Phenom pulls a small lead but overall the Athlon IIx4 is a much better bet.

It is a bit like comparing the German Army's aresnal in WW II, they had the Kar 98 (carbine / sniper role) it was accurate, but poor rate of fire made it a bad component in a assualt or CQB (close quarters battle) role, while the MP 40 SMG (high rate of fire) but poor stopping power and after 100m it was like shooting at a target the size of 25 paisa with a highly inaccurate musket.

They came up with the father of the AK 47 the STG 44 (highly accurate, great stopping power upto 400m) but it was too little, too late and they lost the war.
So make-up your mind what do you want the Phenom II (its like the MP 40) or the Athlon II (much more like the STG 44).

^^^ CX400 if it's still available.

and for CPU, grab the Phenom II X4 840, it's down to 99$(but it's actually a higher clocked Athlon II), so wait a week or 2.

well, I've decided over the VX450 :) -are you sure that Phenom II X4 840 will be priced so less in India? :O if it is so I can surely buy it next month. It costs 105$ on newegg

^^

Current street price in Bangalore for Phenom IIx4 840 ~ 5200/- and Phenom IIx4 955 ~ 6200/-. Take your pick.

MAGNeT said:
One last question .Now since this is Apu meaning gpu on cpu.What changes will take place in hardware mobo?In the sense now when its said onboard gfx we get a vga slot on board will that remain same and only thing changing is from board it migrated to cpu(now called apu here)?
Accomodation for all cables, plus since cpu+gpu on same die, pcie bottleneck gone, superfast bandwidth between them

and if AMD implements sideport as rumours fly, perhaps GDDR5 256/512MB who knows, that this APU will replace every gaming PC which would have originally bought a HD5670 or something.

ALPHA17 said:
^^

Current street price in Bangalore for Phenom IIx4 840 ~ 5200/- and Phenom IIx4 955 ~ 6200/-. Take your pick.

right now spending 6.2k over processor doesn't fit in my budget, instead I'll go for the P2 X4 840, it costs 4.9k on Lynx-India. Is that deal breaker for the Athlon X4 640? -benchmarks state little more performance increase but how is P2 X4 840 if compared to A2 X4 640?

baccilus said:
If we add a discreet graphic card in a system with APU, how will that work? Will they work as a team?
AMD has already announced that HD6570, HD6670 and maybe more.

So you can tag team 400+480 shaders for near maybe HD5770 performance.(we'll have to wait for reviews for that)

actually are you in a dire state that you need to get your system tomorrow??

If not, why dont you wait a little more time and see what AMD has got to offer from their stables. You have got nothing to lose! The customer still wins; take or throw it.

SO why actually invest right now itself in a procy which has an EOL socket though may be backward compatible with the new AM3+ boards. Get yourself a newer socket and aa newer architecture with better improved performance. A little wait might fetch you a better VFM deal! You never know.

in that case I'll be buying Motherboard and PSU this month and wait for any upcoming surprises by AMD, if not then will get a CPU next month. Plus I'm getting GA-880GMA-USB3 so its AM3+ Ready :)

^^

How is it AM3+ ready -- link. Plus there will be a performance drop between the upcoming 990FX and 880G chipset.

^ please take note that the board is a revison 3.1. Read again Rev3.1, I dont think this is even in containers till now for shipment into India as we speak???

^^

The motherboard in the link is non-AM3+ so if that is fine with you then go ahead, it will give you steady performance. Plus getting the AMD Phenom IIx4 840 is really a no-brainer as the performance rivals that of an AMD Phenom IIx4 955 B.E., and it has decent over-clocking headroom even after locked multiplier.

Can personally vouch for the AMD Phenom IIx4 840's performance, bought it for a friend and he is ample satisfied with its overall performance. On gaming you might feel the pinch as L3 cache memory is missing, apart from that everything else should be a breeze.

AMD Phenom II X4 840 & X4 975 Black Edition Processors Review

AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.20 GHz Review - Page 12/12 | techPowerUp

Hope this helps.

I would recommend X4 955 over X4 840. Why?

1. negligible price difference of 1k for soo much(what? read on)

2. 6MB unlocked L3 cache

3. Unlocked multi, 3.8GHz is cake OC, 4Ghz possible(not on X4 840), and that is just by upping multiplier.

4. ultimate VFM, but X4 955 BE, upp multi, make it X4 980BE 3.7Ghz for free(maybe a bit higher power consumption, but hey! you cant get everything can you)

Its confusing me now. X4 840 - 4.8k while X4 955 - 6.6k that's pretty costly. I fine 955 better but again not in my budget, can't 840 give better performance?

Back