Help!! buying iphone 4

aman147

Disciple
hi Friends!
i want to buy an iphone (new), i have heard of iphone 4 and deciding to buy it. is it launched in india or only available in grey market? i have also heard of iphone 5 may be launched this june. should i wait for it? the only phone i have owned is SE K530i and have it for past 3 years. I have no knowledge of iphone , jailbreaking , unlocked, Locked etc. Pls Guide me to the good. Thanks

What is your exact budget ?

I say no to buying iPhone 4 locked to Airtel and sell your soul for lifetime. Better get Factory Unlocked which are priced around 30-31K. After official launch expect prices to drop.

As per hardware wise, SGS-2 is a clear winner. But hardware is not everything, there is something called User Experience, where iOS wins. And I don't agree where people say iOS is not customizable blah blah blah, once you jailbreak it, it opens wide variety of choices. See iPhone dedicated thread in TE.

So if you can get iP4 around 25k [used / wait till price drop :p] if you are ready to spend 30k+ get SGS-2, eyes closed.

As per hardware wise, SGS-2 is a clear winner. But hardware is not everything, there is something called User Experience, where iOS wins.

I feel future android updates(definitely coming to SGS-2) are gonna make hell lotta difference. I mean Android 3.0, as 3.1 optimized for smartphones, I would dump any other OS for that.

I advise to wait till september/october and get iPhone 5.. If you want to buy iPhone 4, then but a factory unlocked one from grey market or ebay as it can be used with any provider.

Android and iOS are both amazing OS in their own way.. If you are a techy guy who want to play around with phone firmware, softwares etc.. then go for Android...

If you a guy who wants a good phone with trouble free OS upgrade for next 2 years or so.. then iPhone is the best choice..

You decide now buddy.. all the best for your purchase .

iPhone 5 wont come till october,November.And when it does,expect it to be priced around 40k+.As others have mentioned,it depends what you're looking for.iPhone 4 has the Apple brand attached to it.Which means legions of iFanboys will hail it no matter what.Having said that,iPhone 4 does have some amazing features,the Apple restrictions notwithstanding.

Pound for pound,iPhone is no match for Galaxy S2.But that hardly matters for apple.They generally sell a lifestyle,rather than technical superiority.Decide what you want.I would go for Galaxy S2 while i'm gifting an iPhone to my girl.Strange,eh?

P.S : Could anyone confirm the iPhone 4(Factory unlocked) price at alfa?

vantheman5211 said:
^^ lol.calling the best selling phone a waste of money is a lil bit far dont you think?

dude just go ahead and take the iphone 4 and its the best around.it is only available in the grey market as of now.if you are a resident of mumbai than you can find it in heera panna and alfa.the main thing about the iphone is the ios.there is just not another OS in competition with it.take the best phone in the world or take the rest of the crowd.

nokia sells more phones in india in a year than apple does in the entire world thru their years, i would still say nokia is a waste of money :p, same goes for apple..

irony, i am using a macbook pro and nokia 5230..lol!

midrush said:
iPhone 5 wont come till october,November.And when it does,expect it to be priced around 40k+.As others have mentioned,it depends what you're looking for.iPhone 4 has the Apple brand attached to it.Which means legions of iFanboys will hail it no matter what.Having said that,iPhone 4 does have some amazing features,the Apple restrictions notwithstanding.

Pound for pound,iPhone is no match for Galaxy S2.But that hardly matters for apple.They generally sell a lifestyle,rather than technical superiority.Decide what you want.I would go for Galaxy S2 while i'm gifting an iPhone to my girl.Strange,eh?

P.S : Could anyone confirm the iPhone 4(Factory unlocked) price at alfa?

16gb Fu at alfa is for 32250 today.....

salluks said:
nokia sells more phones in india in a year than apple does in the entire world thru their years, i would still say nokia is a waste of money :p, same goes for apple..

irony, i am using a macbook pro and nokia 5230..lol!

Same here,MBP and a lowly nokia E5.

If you would go with either of them you would be making a good choice...

Here on TE you would get different advices... some would advice you to buy S II and some would advice you to buy iPhone 4... :p

Hardware specs wise S II is light years ahead than iPhone 4 (or the correct term would be 1 year ahead :p)... You mentioned that you want to buy a phone for browsing... Then IMO you should buy S II coz it supports HSDPA upto 21.1MBPS and the android browser comes with Flash support... To be honest i have iPod Touch 4G... i use it for listening music aswell as for browsing... i really get angry when some youtube videos doesn't play on iPod touch coz it doesn't support Flash... :mad:... The reviewer of engadget who reviewed Galaxy S II said that the "Super AMOLED Plus Display that S II has is better than iPhone Retina Display even though it has lesser resolution 800x480 to be specific whereas iPhone 4 display resolution is 960x640"... If you are gonna watch a lot of HD videos and gonna do browsing stuff then S II 4.3inch display is really gonna come in handy... And S II also supports more video formats out of the box as compared to iPhone 4... S II supports H.264, Xvid and DivX out of the box whereas iPhone only supports H.264... You can play Xvid videos on iPhone too but for that you either have to buy third party apps or you have to jailbreak the iPhone 4 to install pirated apps for free... the S II has dual core processor so the browsing experience would be silky smooth... I think i have said enough things against iPhone 4... Now i would say the good things

Apple iPhone 4 is great if you are looking for a simple user interface phone... has great retina display, iPod on board and millions apps out there to download... Apple pushes updates more often then what we get to see from google's side... Apple is capable of introducing two three models per year but the way they design and produce their new products is simply great... What google do google releases a new Android update and then all the mobile manufacturing companies joins the race to port the new update to their cellphones... some companies becomes successful to do so after some months... but some companies struggle to do so because either of their handset incapability or because of their inability to port all the new updates on time... If you would check iPhone 3GS is still receiving updates... So its on you... Decide whether you want a phone with better hardware or a phone with better software support...

:)

I had thought that the resolution of SGS2 was 480 x 800..

Hades. said:
If you would go with either of them you would be making a good choice...

Here on TE you would get different advices... some would advice you to buy S II and some would advice you to buy iPhone 4... :p

Hardware specs wise S II is light years ahead than iPhone 4 (or the correct term would be 1 year ahead :p)... You mentioned that you want to buy a phone for browsing... Then IMO you should buy S II coz it supports HSDPA upto 21.1MBPS and the android browser comes with Flash support... To be honest i have iPod Touch 4G... i use it for listening music aswell as for browsing... i really get angry when some youtube videos doesn't play on iPod touch coz it doesn't support Flash... :mad:... The reviewer of engadget who reviewed Galaxy S II said that the "Super AMOLED Plus Display that S II has is better than iPhone Retina Display even though it has lesser resolution 960x540 to be specific whereas iPhone 4 display resolution is 960x640"... If you are gonna watch a lot of HD videos and gonna do browsing stuff then S II 4.3inch display is really gonna come in handy... And S II also supports more video formats out of the box as compared to iPhone 4... S II supports H.264, Xvid and DivX out of the box whereas iPhone only supports H.264... You can play Xvid videos on iPhone too but for that you either have to buy third party apps or you have to jailbreak the iPhone 4 to install pirated apps for free... the S II has dual core processor so the browsing experience would be silky smooth... I think i have said enough things against iPhone 4... Now i would say the good things

Apple iPhone 4 is great if you are looking for a simple user interface phone... has great retina display, iPod on board and millions apps out there to download... Apple pushes updates more often then what we get to see from google's side... Apple is capable of introducing two three models per year but the way they design and produce their new products is simply great... What google do google releases a new Android update and then all the mobile manufacturing companies joins the race to port the new update to their cellphones... some companies becomes successful to do so after some months... but some companies struggle to do so because either of their handset incapability or because of their inability to port all the new updates on time... If you would check iPhone 3GS is still receiving updates... So its on you... Decide whether you want a phone with better hardware or a phone with better software support...

:)

SGS 2's 4.3 inch screen will be really helpful for watching vidz or surfing the net.H/W wise SGS2 is better than iphone 4 (except the build quality and the cheap plastic feel of SGS) But then is iOS has better apps than android.Now stock iOS has several limitations and you are forced to do things apple's way.But once you jailbreak you get the best of both worlds.You get the stability and ease of use of iOS and flexibility of android.

Also you can wait till iOS 5 is demoed next month and then decide what to go for.

Back