Help me choose a gaming controller

Synth-Pop

Adept
I am looking to buy a pair of gaming controllers, slightly confused between these models -

1.) Xbox Series X - Robot White
2.) 8bitdo Sn30 Pro+

I already ordered and cancelled the xbox phantom magenta edition controllers as few people suggested a new series X controller is a better choice, though I got awesome deal.
Now I ordered a pair of xbox series X controllers for 10k but what I decided earlier was 8bitdo SN30 pro+ which is also a good option I think. Earlier it was not available at my location but now they are delivering it.
There's another upgraded version of 8bit i.e. 8bit pro 2 but it isn't available in India right now so I decided to settle with previous version that's Sn30 pro +.
now these are available for 7k pair. whereas I ordered the series x for 10k which I can still cancel.
Both are good controllers but I am a bit confused which one to buy ?
I'll be using it for nintendo, ps1 psp emulation on a android tv or on windows 10 using retropie and other windows emulators like epsxe etc.
and some other PC games like remastered versions of resident evil, crash bandicoot etc.
I'm not a hardcore gamer so I guess my total usage will be like 4-6 hours per week or 10 days.
Since childhood I got and used these consoles - nintendo, segamegadrive, ps1, ps2, ps3 and never used any other 3rd party controller or microsoft controller.
Honestly never seen a xbox controller only pics on google or YT videos. lol
so which is a suitable option for me, only looking for something good quality.
I may barely consider but still suggestions welcomed for other options too (only with bluetooth connectivity)
What you say mate @Kmkaks

& if I already ordered the right item i.e. series X controllers, it is requested to fellow members not to puzzle me further.
thanks for reading.

I am looking to buy a pair of gaming controllers, slightly confused between these models -

1.) Xbox Series X - Robot White
2.) 8bitdo Sn30 Pro+

I already ordered and cancelled the xbox phantom magenta edition controllers as few people suggested a new series X controller is a better choice, though I got awesome deal.
Now I ordered a pair of xbox series X controllers for 10k but what I decided earlier was 8bitdo SN30 pro+ which is also a good option I think. Earlier it was not available at my location but now they are delivering it.
There's another upgraded version of 8bit i.e. 8bit pro 2 but it isn't available in India right now so I decided to settle with previous version that's Sn30 pro +.
now these are available for 7k pair. whereas I ordered the series x for 10k which I can still cancel.
Both are good controllers but I am a bit confused which one to buy ?
I'll be using it for nintendo, ps1 psp emulation on a android tv or on windows 10 using retropie and other windows emulators like epsxe etc.
and some other PC games like remastered versions of resident evil, crash bandicoot etc.
I'm not a hardcore gamer so I guess my total usage will be like 4-6 hours per week or 10 days.
Since childhood I got and used these consoles - nintendo, segamegadrive, ps1, ps2, ps3 and never used any other 3rd party controller or microsoft controller.
Honestly never seen a xbox controller only pics on google or YT videos. lol
so which is a suitable option for me, only looking for something good quality.
I may barely consider but still suggestions welcomed for other options too (only with bluetooth connectivity)
What you say mate @Kmkaks

& if I already ordered the right item i.e. series X controllers, it is requested to fellow members not to puzzle me further.
thanks for reading.
I am using 8bitdo Sn30 Pro+ in my pc, PS1&2 emulator . Also tried with firestick n mitv stick, works well. It's software let's you customize the keys, trigger which is unique at this budget. It also supports motion games in Nintendo, have not tried since I didn't have one, but might with emulator. Btw I have tested this one with Nintendo emulator as an Xbox controller, works well. The battery can be replacable ( not standard AAA or AA). The only drawback for me it's does connected via Bluetooth in my pc. Although it connected well to my laptop so I guess it's my Bluetooth dongles are not compitble however same dongle let me connect PS3 controller as Bluetooth. I have attached some thumbpads to make it more comfortable. It's a really nice controller with unique features which no other controller offer at this price range, go for it

So is it just the compatibility issue with the BT dongle or do you require any other software to connect ?.
I sold my ps3 controllers just to avoid that DS3 any some other 3rd party softwares required for connection on a windows PC

@Nitendra Singh Since your use case is emulation, these look good. Buttons are aligned to match nintendo/ps input. I use xbox controller with pcsx2 and sometimes end up pressing the wrong button.

Sorry for hijacking (I think?) this thread, but have also been looking for a decent controller myself to play some VR games, specifically RDR2, GTA V (with VR Mods) and Elite Dangerous. So far the Xbox (Series) controller seems like the best choice, but my budget is only 2k, maximum 2.5k. Is it worth getting controller in that price range, or should I just save up for a Series controller and get that? Good, low latency, wireless performance with my pc is paramount. Rest everything does not matter too much since I will be using the controller only for the above 3 games (for now), and probably only over the next 2months.
If there are any good wireless options in the 2-2.5k range other than Redgear Pro Wireless, please let me know. Thank you.
Also this would be my first ever controller, if that's relevant. Have been using only KBM so far (and WMR motion controller for VR).

which one 8bitdo or xbox series x ?
not only emulation but I'll be playing some pc games too
Sorry I meant 8bitdo, for emulation 8bitdo is good but for PC gaming imo, xbox controller is king.

Why not get one 8bitdo and one series controller then.
Sorry for hijacking (I think?) this thread, but have also been looking for a decent controller myself to play some VR games, specifically RDR2, GTA V (with VR Mods) and Elite Dangerous. So far the Xbox (Series) controller seems like the best choice, but my budget is only 2k, maximum 2.5k. Is it worth getting controller in that price range, or should I just save up for a Series controller and get that? Good, low latency, wireless performance with my pc is paramount. Rest everything does not matter too much since I will be using the controller only for the above 3 games (for now), and probably only over the next 2months.
If there are any good wireless options in the 2-2.5k range other than Redgear Pro Wireless, please let me know. Thank you.
Also this would be my first ever controller, if that's relevant. Have been using only KBM so far (and WMR motion controller for VR).
If latency is an issue, better to get the series controller and use it with a type c cable.

EDIT: I have used both Logitech f series and xbox series controller wirelessly with my laptop and I can confirm that xbox controller feels smoother.

Last edited:
If latency is an issue, better to get the series controller and use it with a type c cable.
Hey, thanks for replying. I don't need absolute minimum latency, just that it shouldn't be sporadic over bluetooth or wireless. Basically a good, stable connection is preferred, since even the motion controllers are connected via bluetooth and I've never felt those to have any latency. So my question then remains - worth saving up for the Series controller over a cheap one like the Redgear Wireless? I suppose the answer would be yes but could you elaborate on what the differences would be? Basically why is the Xbox controller 3.5x the Redgear, that's all :sweatsmile:. Thank you.

@TheCoolerPlayer
it's definetly worth over redgear, but still no point in spending 2.5k or buying redgear, if you're OK with 2.4ghz usb connection you can try this for 1.5k -
https://www.amazon.in/CLAW-Wireless...law&qid=1623049477&smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&sr=8-2
there's a bt version for this which is for 1800 but not worth it.
OR if you're looking for something premium which I am also looking for
buy 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ which is ok for 3.5k & can also save for series X which is king controller as mentioned by @Kmkaks
Sorry I meant 8bitdo, for emulation 8bitdo is good but for PC gaming imo, xbox controller is king.

Why not get one 8bitdo and one series controller then.
I want a pair so won't be buying two different items, aesthetics.
ok is it worth spending extra for a series x controller ?
I think it's not just about emulation it should be a complete package in every aspect. so I believe it's worth it over 8bitdo moreover there's 8bit pro 2 which is recently launched and not available in India, then why bother buying a previous gen controller.

@TheCoolerPlayer
it's definetly worth over redgear, but still no point in spending 2.5k or buying redgear, if you're OK with 2.4ghz usb connection you can try this for 1.5k -
https://www.amazon.in/CLAW-Wireless...law&qid=1623049477&smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&sr=8-2
there's a bt version for this which is for 1800 but not worth it.
OR if you're looking for something premium which I am also looking for
buy 8bitdo SN30 Pro+ which is ok for 3.5k & can also save for series X which is king controller as mentioned by @Kmkaks
Thanks for detailed reply. I think I'll save up for a few weeks or so for the Series controller actually since I am reading quite a lot of negative reviews about build quality of the cheaper ones, and don't want such a product. Just one last thing though - most of the Series controller seem to be coming in stock only in mid-July on Amazon.in. So any alternative, trusted websites to purchase them from?

Thanks for detailed reply. I think I'll save up for a few weeks or so for the Series controller actually since I am reading quite a lot of negative reviews about build quality of the cheaper ones, and don't want such a product. Just one last thing though - most of the Series controller seem to be coming in stock only in mid-July on Amazon.in. So any alternative, trusted websites to purchase them from?
Can get if from flipkart for 4990, I already ordered 2 units yesterday, delivery time suggested is about 10 days but still it's before july as on amazon india . seller was retailnet. item already shipping and I think I'll get it in a couple of days as lockdown restrictions are also lifted here in my city

@Nitendra Singh

If you don't mind wired, you can look at Power A controllers. They are really high quality and often go for sale on ~ 2000 for the new XBox Series type controllers.

@TheCoolerPlayer

I have been using Redgear Pro for last 2 years. I feel they are the best around 1500-2000. Recently ordered AntESport GP100 because didn't have my Redgear with me. GP100 were horrible.

Edit: GP300V2, not GP100. But I guess they would be horrible too. :p

Last edited:
thanks but I am looking for wireless and I know Power A are some great wired controllers.
there's also AntesportsGP300 ? the wireless version.
@john1911 please do share your experience with antesports once you get it

Can get if from flipkart for 4990, I already ordered 2 units yesterday, delivery time suggested is about 10 days but still it's before july as on amazon india . seller was retailnet. item already shipping and I think I'll get it in a couple of days as lockdown restrictions are also lifted here in my city
Oh right, Flipkart is showing 2 days delivery time for me.
Have been using Redgear Pro for last 2 years. I feel they are the best around 1500-2000. Recently ordered AntESport GP100 because didn't have my Redgear with me. GP100 were horrible.
Thanks for replying! I'm still more inclined toward Redgear for the price haha. I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking - how is the connection stability (and latency, if any is noticeable) over a distance of 3-4ft? And how reliable is the wireless connection (any drops etc)? And lastly, will the 2.4ghz connection still work fine if I use the dongle whilst connected to my laptop via a USB 3 hub, or should it be connected directly to the port only? Sorry for the stupid questions, just want to be sure since there's no return option anymore :sweatsmile:

thanks but I am looking for wireless and I know Power A are some great wired controllers.
there's also AntesportsGP300 ? the wireless version.
@john1911 please do share your experience with antesports once you get it
Oh sorry, I messed up the model numbers.

This is what I ordered, the wireless ones.
Ant Esports GP300 Pro V2.
Couldn't bring myself to use them.
Frequent disconnects, useless trigger. I ordered two of them and both were same. Triggers would go from 0 to 1 suddenly at the end of range of motion.

You need to be exactly in the line of sight of the 2.4Ghz adapter, or else it would disconnect.
I ordered two Redgear Pro back in 2018 for 1100 or so each. They are working fine, good battery life, build quality I wouldn't say top notch but wayy better than GP300v2.

I didn't have them right now so I thought of buying something else now, so bought GP300v2. I thought they are all the same 1500-ish price and they would be similar. I was so wrong. I returned them (and to return them twice, then refund came) and ordered RedgearPro Wireless again.

I don't know about CLAW wireless ones.

I was also looking for GP300 pro v2 for a temporary solution but wasn't expecting these flaws you've experienced.
you can't trust 3rd party low priced controllers no matter how tempting the deal is, Mostly the sponsored youtube content and blogs.
there're a few brand like 8bitdo but again price reaches almost the same bracket.

@thecoolplayer latency wont' be a problem using 2.4ghz and other advantage is that when it's about latency 2.4 has better latency than bluetooth connection.
7-8 feet distance ? won't be a issue in connectivity

Oh right, Flipkart is showing 2 days delivery time for me.

Thanks for replying! I'm still more inclined toward Redgear for the price haha. I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking - how is the connection stability (and latency, if any is noticeable) over a distance of 3-4ft? And how reliable is the wireless connection (any drops etc)? And lastly, will the 2.4ghz connection still work fine if I use the dongle whilst connected to my laptop via a USB 3 hub, or should it be connected directly to the port only? Sorry for the stupid questions, just want to be sure since there's no return option anymore :sweatsmile:

You're welcome :)

The pair that I ordered in 2018 had better build quality than 2021. I never saw any drops in the 2018 version but once in one hour or two in the 2021 version. If you keep the USB dongle well exposed, you won't get any drops.

I use a TPLink USB3 hub with two 2.4GHz dongles and one USB WiFi dongle, works fine for me.

They go for sale rather frequently, I bought them for 1445 last month.

Regarding the return option. That isn't available but you need to call the customer care, explain that you're having such and such problems and the product isn't upto the mark. I told them they shouldn't even be selling such a low quality product. They told that refund option will only open after 2 replacement. I told them keep them coming, they shipped new controllers, I again initial return. The second time refund option opened up.

I was also looking for GP300 pro v2 for a temporary solution but wasn't expecting these flaws you've experienced.
Exactly. But the Redgear one is leaps and bounds ahead of GP300v2. I wasn't expecting this much of a difference because they were priced almost similar.

Recently bought PowerA Wired XBox Enhanced controller. Was totally amazed at the build quality and sturdiness of it overall, the button and trigger quality. I never in the past used anything better than RedgearPro, yet to use original XBox ones.

Last edited:
Redgear is a much popular brand, It an old favorite amongst the budget gamers :p .
whereas these are fairly new models by ant esports.
Logitech F710 isn't bad either for someone who is ok with a 2.4g connection.

Redgear is a much popular brand, It an old favorite amongst the budget gamers :p .
whereas these are fairly new models by ant esports.
Yes, Redgear is making Pro Wireless for like 4-5 years now.

Cosmic Byte and CLAW are also the new ones.

I've had one hour or so with F710 (friend's) . Everything was excellent but the shape. The button, triggers (although too tight, needed to press it with force, but accurate), analogue sticks were excellent, rumble was also great. But the shape. -_- WTF were they thinking. Non ergonomic design at all. Had to constantly keep on adjusting grip on them. And AA batteries, some might see them as a negative point, some positive. Although xbox controllers also have that requirement.

Last edited:
I assume I am on the right track, xbox controllers are on the way and I'm unnecessarily getting puzzled for no reason.
& don't think it's worth saving 3k buying 8bit controllers over xbox.

Back