Help me choose a Headphone (budget - around 15K)

the_beginner

Disciple
Hey guys... planning to buy a good headphone but I'm super confused and would appreciate a lot if you guys help me. I tried my friend's XM3 a while back and it was awesome, it went right into my bucket list. I just did some due diligence and discovered r/audiophiles where I've barely seen posts about Sony XM3/4 and also discovered a whole new (to me) audio segment called studio headphones. Again after some research I narrowed down to Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm due to those super comfy earpads) and Audio Technica M50X. I'm leaning towards Beyerdynamic one since I heard it's extremely comfortable and has good sound staging. Please help me out so that I can choose one.

My expectation - Should last long (It would take me some days to convince my parents and if the headphone dies just after the warranty period or so... Probably I'm going down with it too as my mom will give me Seruppadi ie.slipper shots :)), Should have good sound staging.

Also is there any shop/place in Chennai where I can go and try AT/Beyerdynamic and where can i buy these other than headphonezone.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys... planning to buy a good headphone but I'm super confused and would appreciate a lot if you guys help me. I tried my friend's XM3 a while back and it was awesome, it went right into my bucket list. I just did some due diligence and discovered r/audiophiles where I've barely seen posts about Sony XM3/4 and also discovered a whole new (to me) audio segment called studio headphones. Again after some research I narrowed down to Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm due to those super comfy earpads) and Audio Technica M50X. I'm leaning towards Beyerdynamic one since I heard it's extremely comfortable and has good sound staging. Please help me out so that I can choose one.

My expectation - Should last long (It would take me some days to convince my parents and if the headphone dies just after the warranty period or so... Probably I'm going down with it too as my mom will give me Seruppadi ie.slipper shots :)), Should have good sound staging.

Also is there any shop/place in Chennai where I can go and try AT/Beyerdynamic and where can i buy these other than headphonezone.

Thanks in advance.
DT 990 Pro 250ohm or 600ohm. but for 600ohm you will require an DAC. DT 990 Pro 250ohm can be used directly with 3.5mm jack. I am using one.

Using xm3's for a couple of years now. Comfortable, no nonsense pair of cans. LDAC is actually a plus if your device supports it. I bought mine for 15k used. I think they're available at grabgear.in for 16k unboxed

DT 990 Pro 250ohm or 600ohm. but for 600ohm you will require an DAC. DT 990 Pro 250ohm can be used directly with 3.5mm jack. I am using one.
1) Do you use that just for casual listening and stuff or professional studio use (I'm buying just for casual listening, not studio purpose)
2) What about noise bleeding.
3) Where and how much did you buy for? it's 13K in headphonezone and why should i pick a 250Ohm one just for casual listening (my knowledge - Higher ohm is just for heavy hardwares used for sound mixing and stuffs and it doesn't mean higher quality right?)

1) Do you use that just for casual listening and stuff or professional studio use (I'm buying just for casual listening, not studio purpose)
2) What about noise bleeding.
3) Where and how much did you buy for? it's 13K in headphonezone and why should i pick a 250Ohm one just for casual listening (my knowledge - Higher ohm is just for heavy hardwares used for sound mixing and stuffs and it doesn't mean higher quality right?)
casual Listening. where it for 14hrs or so. no issues at all. bought it from headphonezone itself.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 Ohm due to those super comfy earpads) and Audio Technica M50X
you are comparing things which belongs to different league.
By looking at your post i would suggest to go with AT M50x. it overall a good package for a wired headphone as of today. You will enjoy.

Beyerdynamic Dt770 is different animal, its professional grade - never meant for casual listeners.
Not to disrespect you by saying above line but - you will regret if this the only headphone you will own.
And don't compare e-pens over internet, and reviews of internet "experts" - 99% they are just salesman or biased.

I own two of its variant, 250 & 600ohms., both German import - 250 i probably got in year 2009 or so, and 600 after 2-3 year, both are hard to drive for generic computer sound card. ( don't even think for mobile).
I hardly use 600-version, it is packed for last 4-5 years. I don't want to sell it as it one of my asset.

Beyer are build like tank (never got hand on Indian versions - i expect them flimsy) - you can disassemble them by your own, change any parts you need.
They are semi-open cans, that mean they will not isolate any sound, so any nearby person can hear what you listening.
Comfortability - they are heavy and big - one need time to get adjusted if not used these type of cans before, once used to they are super comfy for longer hours.

These are meant for drummers, or to be used in studio environment.
Don't expect "bloomy sound", they are meant for super vocal clarity. With right equipment, If one listens to jazz, classical, etc nothing on earth can beat them.
One will hate it if listen Indian film music or any dhinchak types.
Listening to live concerts of Hans Zimmer, Nirvana, Floyd, Adale, etc - just close eyes and one will as if they are inside the stadium/concert.

Chennai has many good shops, i'm little rusty these years but you have couple of good shops in Nungambakkam. ( even some great shop who sells studio-used ones)
Even best if you can visit Shruti or Sterling ( hope im spelling the correct name) - go with blank mind, check their collection, experience by yourself an then buy.
Don't burn your money based on random internet guy.

the site you mention are nothing but a bunch of c***ts claiming to be "expert"

also discovered a whole new (to me) audio segment called studio headphones
Why did studio headphones pique your interest?

You should include the sennheisers in your list (598, 599). I do not own them but have heard good things about them from people who do.

Last edited:
you are comparing things which belongs to different league.
By looking at your post i would suggest to go with AT M50x. it overall a good package for a wired headphone as of today. You will enjoy.

Beyerdynamic Dt770 is different animal, its professional grade - never meant for casual listeners.
Not to disrespect you by saying above line but - you will regret if this the only headphone you will own.
And don't compare e-pens over internet, and reviews of internet "experts" - 99% they are just salesman or biased.

I own two of its variant, 250 & 600ohms., both German import - 250 i probably got in year 2009 or so, and 600 after 2-3 year, both are hard to drive for generic computer sound card. ( don't even think for mobile).
I hardly use 600-version, it is packed for last 4-5 years. I don't want to sell it as it one of my asset.

Beyer are build like tank (never got hand on Indian versions - i expect them flimsy) - you can disassemble them by your own, change any parts you need.
They are semi-open cans, that mean they will not isolate any sound, so any nearby person can hear what you listening.
Comfortability - they are heavy and big - one need time to get adjusted if not used these type of cans before, once used to they are super comfy for longer hours.

These are meant for drummers, or to be used in studio environment.
Don't expect "bloomy sound", they are meant for super vocal clarity. With right equipment, If one listens to jazz, classical, etc nothing on earth can beat them.
One will hate it if listen Indian film music or any dhinchak types.
Listening to live concerts of Hans Zimmer, Nirvana, Floyd, Adale, etc - just close eyes and one will as if they are inside the stadium/concert.

Chennai has many good shops, i'm little rusty these years but you have couple of good shops in Nungambakkam. ( even some great shop who sells studio-used ones)
Even best if you can visit Shruti or Sterling ( hope im spelling the correct name) - go with blank mind, check their collection, experience by yourself an then buy.
Don't burn your money based on random internet guy.

the site you mention are nothing but a bunch of c***ts claiming to be "expert"
is it a good idea to use DT 990 Pro 250 ohm with scralet 2i2 :angelic:

is it a good idea to use DT 990 Pro 250 ohm with scralet 2i2
if you mean to ask if the 2i2 can drive those pairs.. then its yes. specs says it can deliver upto 1000 ohm via front panel headphone jack.
sound signature you have to experiment and check. I don't have any experience with 990s, or scarlet / unfiltered audio interfaces - so cant say much.

I've barely seen posts about Sony XM3/4
the only audiophile grade headphone of sony is the studio model ( unable to recall the model, but it had green/yellow tag in the cans). impossible to find in India these days.

If i may ask, what is going to be your primary use of this headphone ?

Why you are not looking at JBL live NC series, since you said you liked XM3s (or this model itself - screw what other says - if you liked it and enjoyed - thats matter).
If you only need "studio" grade headphone consider AKG, Samson, Shure, Roland etc as well along with bayers - these brand existed in India longer then bayers and you will get service easily.

Why did studio headphones pique your interest?
If i may ask, what is going to be your primary use of this headphone ?

Why you are not looking at JBL live NC series, since you said you liked XM3s (or this model itself - screw what other says - if you liked it and enjoyed - thats matter).
If you only need "studio" grade headphone consider AKG, Samson, Shure, Roland etc as well along with bayers - these brand existed in India longer then bayers and you will get service easily
I don't have any headphone except this cheap red gear one that I use for gaming... I just wanna hear some songs and relax (mostly indoor) that's the sole reason I'm planning to buy a new headphone.

"screw what other says - if you liked it and enjoyed - thats matter" is right, i've just tried XM3 and maybe i have to go to Shruti or Sterling and check out other models.

Since I discovered this studio headphones and heard that they sound great and lasts long, I didn't even check ANC ones. IMO the quality of JBL is not the same anymore. I've heard about Samson, Shure but the thing is i have heard a lot more about beyer 770 and 990 pros and my mind made up that these are the best and now i'm even more confused. :what?:

Last edited:
....beyer 770 and 990 pros and my mind made up that these are the best and now i'm even more confused. :what?:
Thanks for providing few inputs :)
This is a rabbithole.... the more you explore the more confused you are.
Although i never liked JBL, I totally agree with you about the JBL quality, quality is on downward spiral ever since it rolled under Samsung umbrella.

Since I discovered this studio headphones and heard that they sound great and lasts long,
we have to understand, they sounds great on a specific setup/environment/source. bugatti veyron can clock 400+ km/hr, but do you think anyone can drive it over 40km/hr in bangalore ?
for example if one is streaming music from spotify/gaana - audio quality of a good 3k iem and a 50k headphone might indistinguishable.

Build quality is always better if we avoid Chinese re-brands/Made in India, stuffs.

Since you have a good budget of 15k, it not necessary that you have to spent all of it.. just ensure what you get is enjoyable in wide scenarios and not a pin-hole scenario.
Instead of trying to get the best ( which is a mirage) - start with something which is enjoyable everyday, and in every scenario.. and later if you hooked with this audio hobby you can gradually build your collection of wide variety of headphone.
Some parallel example - if one is starting to driving - getting an activa is more sensible and practical rather than a hayabusa. its not just the ride but its maintaining and few man-machine rules we have to learn and get experience on :)

Definitely go and check out those shops, try as many as you can. ( if possible do a head to head with bayers and m50 - else you will have a doubt later that you might have made a bad choice).
check these out if they have AT ad500x and AKG k240 - they are in price range with dt9xx and would be good point of reference. For a solid budget option AKG k77 is must try. Check if you can find Sony professional model.
Take few of your best music along with you in high quality - now a days i have seen shops want you to check with youtube videos ( at least JBL & Bose showrooms does that ), avoid that.
Listen to songs which you might have heard minimum 100 times, to differentiate the quality.

Thanks for providing few inputs :)
This is a rabbithole.... the more you explore the more confused you are.
Although i never liked JBL, I totally agree with you about the JBL quality, quality is on downward spiral ever since it rolled under Samsung umbrella.

we have to understand, they sounds great on a specific setup/environment/source. bugatti veyron can clock 400+ km/hr, but do you think anyone can drive it over 40km/hr in bangalore ?
for example if one is streaming music from spotify/gaana - audio quality of a good 3k iem and a 50k headphone might indistinguishable.

Build quality is always better if we avoid Chinese re-brands/Made in India, stuffs.

Since you have a good budget of 15k, it not necessary that you have to spent all of it.. just ensure what you get is enjoyable in wide scenarios and not a pin-hole scenario.
Instead of trying to get the best ( which is a mirage) - start with something which is enjoyable everyday, and in every scenario.. and later if you hooked with this audio hobby you can gradually build your collection of wide variety of headphone.
Some parallel example - if one is starting to driving - getting an activa is more sensible and practical rather than a hayabusa. its not just the ride but its maintaining and few man-machine rules we have to learn and get experience on :)

Definitely go and check out those shops, try as many as you can. ( if possible do a head to head with bayers and m50 - else you will have a doubt later that you might have made a bad choice).
check these out if they have AT ad500x and AKG k240 - they are in price range with dt9xx and would be good point of reference. For a solid budget option AKG k77 is must try. Check if you can find Sony professional model.
Take few of your best music along with you in high quality - now a days i have seen shops want you to check with youtube videos ( at least JBL & Bose showrooms does that ), avoid that.
Listen to songs which you might have heard minimum 100 times, to differentiate the quality.
Thank you and you sound right here... I should not buy one for 15K and regret later. Maybe I should just get a Samson SR850/950 or AT M20X or something in this price range (Again, please do suggest) and use them so that I'll get to know how they sound and buy a better one later.

I remember someone is selling hifiman Deva for 9k on here. That's a steal price and headphone looks good too

I'm selling a 1 month old(not used though) Skullcandy Hesh ANC if you're interested for 7.5k. They're not studio quality but they work well.

There are a lot of great headphones out there in the $15,000 price range. If you're looking for something that will provide great sound quality and durability, I would recommend the Sennheiser HD 800 S on bapcsalescanada. com. They're a bit on the expensive side, but they're definitely worth the investment.

There are a lot of great headphones out there in the $15,000 price range. If you're looking for something that will provide great sound quality and durability, I would recommend the Sennheiser HD 800 S on bapcsalescanada. com. They're a bit on the expensive side, but they're definitely worth the investment.
INR 15K and not USD 15K :p

Back