Help me test my first project : SmartShopping

Dark Star

ex-Mod
Hello guys

During my internship I learnt java (myself):p Here is a small piece of project that I have created as a result of the 30days learning.

Kindly note this project only aims to implements Java Swing Toolkit and getting myself acquainted with the same. I have not used any database as of now to avoid portability issue.

There are couple of known issues already, which I'll be sorting out ASAP.

So please pour in your valuable suggestions so I can improve my program and create better programs in future.

To run the software you should have Java runtime installed . Download Free Java Software

Refer ReadME for further details. The version I am presenting is half baked, loads of things needs to be added (polished). So please pour in your suggestions to help improve.

Download Link : http://ubuntuone.com/p/1B9P/

Regards

Ok an update guys. There was image parsing issue in the Shop Frame. I was using absolute path on the method that doesn't accept URL. :p

Anyway what you guys need to check, if you are seeing an image like this. Plus please confirm that the software has a yellow icon basket in the taskbar.

I have tried to fix the resolution issue as well. Please report.

Version 0.01a released :p

Please report the issues guys.

JjNmBs.png

Download link updated : http://ubuntuone.com/p/1A3s/

^^J2SE Documentation.

I have brought a Java2 Complete ref. but haven't gone through it. Was referring the IO topic but it wasn't described in detailed. So it was kind of led down for me .

Some of my seniors have recommended me Core Java Web Page . Will try that but before I have to read the J2CR along with J2SE Docs.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Working on a new version. Will bring more sophisticated inputs from users, a tentative splash screen on startup and more improved code for better memory managment.

Will be hosting the project on gitorious after cleaning up the code

A new version added guys.

0.01 (b) : Adds a new Splash Screen which loads before the JRE is loaded into the memory. Nothing fake in it.

Fixed the resolution issue, hopefully.

Next in line : KKR feature request. Will mark that version as 0.02 :)

Please pour in your suggestions and feedback.

http://ubuntuone.com/p/1B9P/

Hmm 1 bug.

When I select a shirt and change quantity for the first time, total gets calculated properly. If I uncheck it, total gets adjusted properly. But if I recheck it, the quantity remains as it was selected last time, but only price of 1 quantity is added to the total.

It can be corrected by reselecting the quantity.

Either have the quantity reset back to 1 as soon as you uncheck the purchase box, or fix the quantity and price calculation when you recheck it.

Shripad said:
Hmm 1 bug.

When I select a shirt and change quantity for the first time, total gets calculated properly. If I uncheck it, total gets adjusted properly. But if I recheck it, the quantity remains as it was selected last time, but only price of 1 quantity is added to the total.

It can be corrected by reselecting the quantity.

Either have the quantity reset back to 1 as soon as you uncheck the purchase box, or fix the quantity and price calculation when you recheck it.

Thanks a lot :) This is what I was waiting for :)

Here is a quote from the first post, and the bug that you reported is known.

There are couple of known issues already, which I'll be sorting out ASAP.

and this is one of them. I have tried a to figure this out but for some reason the value is not getting multiplied when recheck with a different selection. As a result there is a problem while calculating total.

Though your suggestion for resetting the dropdown back to 1 makes more sense. Will check the calculations again and come back with some solution ASAP.

Along with fixing the credit and contact details entry. Making it more subtle for one to enter.

I think a little more validations would be nice. Names containing numbers are being allowed. The "Address Details" text box should be multi line. Error messages that pop up should not have every word capitalized.

Secondly in the finalize order dialog box, there should be a back button to go back to the "Brands" page.

Third in the text file that is created "Shopping Details" is spelled as "Shopping Detilas". The total doesn't seem to be calculated either.

The most logical way to deal with the pricing problem, would be to reset the count to 1, and recalculate the total and each pricing field in the corresponding checkbox event handler.

Check the icons at the bottom:- TE - Imgur

A couple of things (not necessarily issues or bugs):

- Why did you chose this to be a standalone application? The topic you have chosen is more suited as a web app.

- "Shopping Details" -> Shouldn't it be "Shipping Details"

- The "Total Amount" isn't seen initially. One has to check and uncheck the "Home Delivery" checkbox to make it appear there.

- As someone said already, needs validations. For example, I am able to enter a discount value > Total Amount.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Edit: Another issue found:

- Seems that you are not closing the streams that you might have opened (especially file streams). After exiting the app, and even exiting the cmd window, I am not able to delete your "Smart Shopping" folder. W7 reports "a folder or file is open in another program"

Back