Audio help regarding headphones

hi im planning to buy headphones
please suggest which one should i buy from these 2
1) Creative ep-630
2) Sennheiser mx-50

im getting each for less than 800 bucks
i listen to soft/hard rock music through Creative Zen Nano plus mp3 player
Can u suggest which ones should i buy. Any others that are good in this range? pls lemme know soon coz i plan to buy in 2 days

ep-630

i guess the senny mx series is not in ear ...

the ep-630 is made by the same OEM that makes the sennheiser cx-300

^^they are exactly the same earbuds with different brandnames

now go see the cost of the cx 300 and find out what creative is offering us for 800bux :p

Ok, the CX300 is not the same as the EP-630. They are similar no doubt but NOT THE SAME !!!! Sennheiser is not so stupid as to allow Creative to sell their approx Rs. 3500 earphone for Rs 800.

The EP-630 has much more bass than the CX-300. The CX-300 have a more balanced sound i.e the bass does not drown out everything else.

The Ep-630 are quite bassy but they have a thin midrange and the sound lacks warmth. If you listen to rock music or music with a lot of bass you can pick up the Ep-630. The bass is quite deep and nice. But it lacks everything else. If you love bass and ONLY bass, pick these up

The Sennheiser does not have as much bass as the Ep-630 and they are not canal phones. I have both earphones and while I like the Senn much better than the Ep-630, the Senns do not fit into my ears, so I was forced to listen to the Ep-630. I did not like the sound at all and I changed them.

If you are fine with the Senns, do not worry about the sound out of the box. They lack bass when you first hear them, but after breaking them in, the bass comes back.

im not considering cx-300 bcoz they r way out of my budget.

im looking either at senn mx-50 or the ep-630

which one of these are good? or any other that are in this range that are good

^It depends on the kind of music you listen to . As BF1983 said that the ep-630 are quite bassy and are more suited to bass heavy music such as trance , house or techno. The Sennheiser mx-50 will however produce a richer more balanced sound which would not have deep thumping bass like the ep-630's and would be more suitable if you listen to rock or pop music.

Also the mx-50 are not canal earphones like the ep-630 and don't offer comparable isolation from background noise.

You can also try the Audio Technica CK5. I really don't know much about the AT, but AT is a good company and should not disappoint. It has a much better midrange, but it too has a weaker bass compared to the Ep-630, but I really haven't a clue how much less since I don't own one. It costs 750 bucks at Planet M. They are generally said to be decent earphones with a slight lack of bass.

EDIT : The textbook definition is "Soundstage is the ability to visualize the placement of musical instruments and vocalists in a music recording. A good soundstage also allows the listener to perceive the size and space of the performance venue in which the recording was made."

It generally means you will feel you are sitting in a big room and the band is playing around you. A bigger soundstage means you will feel you are sitting in a huge room. A good soundstage is considered a good thing. The EP-630 btw has a very narrow soundstage (i.e bad soundstage).

Thats why reviewers generally call the sound from headphones with a good soundstage as "wide".

lavinachtani said:
i read something about soundstage..what exactly is it?

soundstage refers to how accurately your earplugs can give you the impression/illusion of 3D spacing.. as in.. how well they can recreate the position of the instruments on a physical stage.

a general observation in this respect is that the farther away the speakers are, the better the soundstage

the problem with in ears is the narrow perception of sound or a poor soundstage as the are right inside your head...the music also feels that way :p

^ have you heard of Ultrasone ... see some reviews of thier hi-fi 700 series ... They have s-logic(patented technology) that resolves the problem that you have mentioned .. though they require a long time >500hrs to burn in ..
soundstage also depends on the recordings and bitrate .. U need to listen to different tracks to realise the sound stange ..If u r really considered abt soundstage n stufff invest more moolah .. go for nice headphones n amps ...
EP-630 is just a compromise....

^^thats what i am trying to say

in this price range, there are no canalphones with good soundstage

the crossroads mylarone x3i also have a very good soundstage according to reviews but again its for more monnies :D

Hmm, without smileys my post seemed a bit rude. I kinda knew you had made a mistake since you are quite well versed with high end earphones. :ashamed:

Anyways lavinachtani if you want to wait. I will be selling my Crossroads Mylar X3 for abt 1.4k after a week or so.

They sound beautiful, but bass is slightly lacking. If you listen to rock a lot, these earphones are not for you. But Pop and female voices are rendered beautifully !

@ bf1983

actually all i listen to is rock so well then i dont think they would work...

can u tell me which places in mumbai should i check out to buy headphones....only place i know is alfa

Back