help required -port forwarding from Jio fibre

Thanks for your suggestions regarding tailscale. Installed tailscale on my asus mini, laptop and s23 ultra. Able to do RDP while the laptop was connected to jio personal hotspot and the asus mini was in the jio fiber network. Now to look further into security settings on making the RDP secure.
Tailscale, I believe, is secure enough, as you'll need tailscale account to br logged in at both ends.

Opening ports to the internet and logging in via microsoft account directly is less secure.

huh, it must have been a while ago because last I checked, airtel is under CGNAT too, same thing with my friend's airtel xstream connection.

Possible, my experiments with Airtel ending almost 6 or more months back when we switched out to local ISPs due to unreliability of Airtel.

However, we were getting a public IPv4 because we needed it for IPSEC. Later when we switched to the local ISPs, we moved to SSL VPN

Port forwarding will not work on Jiofiber. They do not give the option to purchase static IP.
They do not use Dynamic IPs either. So Dynamic DNS (if you have come across this as a solution) will not work either.

Jiofiber uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), means no matter what configuration you do on your router, the ports can't be opened to outside your home network.

Not everything is lost though. You can use utilities like ZeroTier, TailScale and other alternatives. These make the two devices 'think' they are on the same network and can talk to each other as if they were directly connected to same router/switch.
Even a self-hosted openVPN instance will do the trick (Depending on number of connections - free tier only allows maximum of 2).

Feel free to ask for more help!
How do we configure our equipment if we have been given a static ip?

How do we configure our equipment if we have been given a static ip?
Instead of pppoe, you select Static IP on WAN settings and enter the details provided by the ISP (Static IP and Gateway as per them, you can use your own DNS of choice). You will also need to mention the same VLAN and Priority as it had before (Note down all values before changing anything or take photos/screenshots).

Or else, put the Airtel provided router into bridge mode and use your own router. Use the same settings I mentioned above on your router (Static IP and Gateway).

Back