Budget 0-20k Help understanding the PSU tier list (MWE v2 vs CV550)

RadarHz

Disciple
Planning to get a better 550w PSU, trying to pick between CM MWE v2 (bronze) and Corsair CV550 (bronze). Tier list comments:

CM MWE v2 550w:
- Tier C (low priority units)
- MWE V2 units have high ripple issues on very low load also resulting in increased coil whine, fix pending.

Corsair CV550:
-Tier D

Is the CM unit being a higher tier enough to ignore the footnote about the high ripple current, or is it a bigger problem than I understand? The P550B I currently have is a Tier D (?) and the Corsair unit is definitely an upgrade over that.

Is the CM unit being a higher tier enough to ignore the footnote about the high ripple current, or is it a bigger problem than I understand
I'll keep whatever you said in mind, but I really only want the answer to the question. The Antec EA550G (?) is not even listed on Amazon.

Last edited:
Find your psu in the following list. Will make things a lot easier for you

Tier list comments:

CM MWE v2 550w:
- Tier C (low priority units)
- MWE V2 units have high ripple issues on very low load also resulting in increased coil whine, fix pending.

Corsair CV550:
-Tier D

Is the CM unit being a higher tier enough to ignore the footnote about the high ripple current, or is it a bigger problem than I understand? The P550B I currently have is a Tier D (?) and the Corsair unit is definitely an upgrade over that.

I remember someone from Corsair (probably jonnyguru) saying that they changed a single component in the VS series (80 plus white) to make it 80 plus bronze (CV series). But both of these power supplies are group regulated. What this means is that both the 5v output and 12v output are regulated together. So if you have a high load on the 12v line, like a GPU, then the 12v line drops a little. And the voltage correction by the power supply is applied to both the 12v line and 5v line, raising the 5v line over the ATX spec. This is bad for obvious reasons. It can cause instability, lockups, crashes and sometimes even component failure. Also, the efficiency curve of these power supplies are a bell curve, they have a narrow sweet spot for the best efficiency. Group-regulated power supplies like the CV line should be reserved for builds with ultra low power GPU's (no additional PCIe power) or no GPU's at all.

The CX series by Corsair and the MWE v2 series are LLC Resonant. Not to be confused with LLC, load line calibration, which is a bios setting for CPU power under load. In PSU's, the LLC denotes two inductors (L & L of LLC) and a capacitor (C) used in the power supply design to produce the primary voltage line, 12v, at super high efficiency. That single 12v line is then converted to 5v with (also) high efficiency DC-DC converters. The 12v has it's own regulation and all of the lower voltages (5v, 3.3v) have their own regulation with their DC-DC converters. So whichever line has a high load, it's independently regulated without affecting the other voltages/lines. They're also quicker to respond to power demands. The efficiency curve for these power supplies is almost a flat line.

If you have a GPU in your system, or have a high core count processor (more than 4 cores and/or 8 threads), group regulated power supplies should be avoided. They're a very old design, like decades old, and that's why they're so low priced. The components aren't the best, but the vast majority of PC's sold today are office machines with iGPU's and they are perfectly happy with these power supplies, so they continue to be manufactured.

I haven't learned all there is to learn about power supply topology, but that should be a fair summary. Single rail power supplies with DC-DC converters also tend to be lighter, and have less points of failure. And the higher the 80 plus rating you go to, the less heat the power supply produces (since it'll be more efficient at converting power). A 550w platinum power supply would barely rise a few degrees above ambient, so there's savings if you're running air conditioning with less heat being dumped inside your room.

As enthusiasts, we should look at single rail power supplies with DC-DC converters like the CX or MWE v2 as a starting point.

Last edited:
Isn't the difference between Antec gold and Antec bronze just their efficiency rating?

I was about to buy the Antec NE550M Bronze PSU.
Any reason I shouldn't?
Not just that but the electronic components used in Gold and further tier Psu assembly/circuitry is also of higher ratings and qualities.

1635256288056.png

Last edited:
I remember someone from Corsair (probably jonnyguru) saying that they changed a single component in the VS series (80 plus white) to make it 80 plus bronze (CV series). But both of these power supplies are group regulated. What this means is that both the 5v output and 12v output are regulated together. So if you have a high load on the 12v line, like a GPU, then the 12v line drops a little. And the voltage correction by the power supply is applied to both the 12v line and 5v line, raising the 5v line over the ATX spec. This is bad for obvious reasons. It can cause instability, lockups, crashes and sometimes even component failure. Also, the efficiency curve of these power supplies are a bell curve, they have a narrow sweet spot for the best efficiency. Group-regulated power supplies like the CV line should be reserved for builds with ultra low power GPU's (no additional PCIe power) or no GPU's at all.

The CX series by Corsair and the MWE v2 series are LLC Resonant. Not to be confused with LLC, load line calibration, which is a bios setting for CPU power under load. In PSU's, the LLC denotes two inductors (L & L of LLC) and a capacitor (C) used in the power supply design to produce the primary voltage line, 12v, at super high efficiency. That single 12v line is then converted to 5v with (also) high efficiency DC-DC converters. The 12v has it's own regulation and all of the lower voltages (5v, 3.3v) have their own regulation with their DC-DC converters. So whichever line has a high load, it's independently regulated without affecting the other voltages/lines. They're also quicker to respond to power demands. The efficiency curve for these power supplies is almost a flat line.

If you have a GPU in your system, or have a high core count processor (more than 4 cores and/or 8 threads), group regulated power supplies should be avoided. They're a very old design, like decades old, and that's why they're so low priced. The components aren't the best, but the vast majority of PC's sold today are office machines with iGPU's and they are perfectly happy with these power supplies, so they continue to be manufactured.

I haven't learned all there is to learn about power supply topology, but that should be a fair summary. Single rail power supplies with DC-DC converters also tend to be lighter, and have less points of failure. And the higher the 80 plus rating you go to, the less heat the power supply produces (since it'll be more efficient at converting power). A 550w platinum power supply would barely rise a few degrees above ambient, so there's savings if you're running air conditioning with less heat being dumped inside your room.

As enthusiasts, we should look at single rail power supplies with DC-DC converters like the CX or MWE v2 as a starting point.

I am very sorry to revive this old thread

So to summarise this, the mwe V2 is the way to go ? Getting a 650W one and have a chonky gpu with 3600 so

I am very sorry to revive this old thread

So to summarise this, the mwe V2 is the way to go ? Getting a 650W one and have a chonky gpu with 3600 so
The original message of the thread was to compare the CV series to the MWE v2 series. As mentioned by @rsaeon, the CV lineup is group regulated, which is unfavourable for reasons explained in the post. Between the CV and the CX/MWE v2 series, the latter is the way to go. Don't know where he stands on the choice between CX and MWE v2, but I went with the MWE v2 myself, and have had no complaints so far.

Back