Help with losing weight

Hello everyone,

I hope y'all are doing well. I've been struggling to lose weight for a while now (maybe over two years) and in that 2 year period, I gained 15kgs (90-105) and I look very bent out of shape and fat. I hate looking at myself in the mirror and feel massively unattractive. Obviously, I have no one to blame but myself and my eating habits mainly (I can't stop myself from eating junk food). I used to be in tip top shape (mid 80s) back when I was in school, playing footaball and running around for a full hour or so. I used to go to gym (past two years) but not consistently. I'd go every now and then but never consistently, using college work as a crappy excuse. I dunno what to do and I feel depressed cause I know the health ramifications of this as well, mainly and how people might look at me, especially the opposite gender (to put it in decent terms.) I've been dealing with depression (on meds from psychiatrist) for a while now and my weight is partly a reason for it.

If anyone could advice me or help me out, I'd be grateful if I was helped. Thank you in advance and have a lovely day!

I’m in a similar boat, but heavier than you. I started to put on weight from the past 5 years, going from 75kg to my now 116kg.

I went 30-40 minutes gym for month and half, but didn’t experience any weight loss as I wasn’t working hard enough. Started running for 2 days and it felt great, but with my weight I can’t keep at it for any decent amount of time. Even 5000 steps a day significantly improves your health, so try at least that activities first.

I can tell you, first thing is to own up your situation and to move beyond it. It’s a reality that things are different with a bigger body, seats feel small, cloth colllection is usually crap, you need more food, or on the contrary, eat too little bit still be judged for what and how much you eat.

Keep a positive mindset, and I know it’s easier said than done, but the depression associated with obesity is no joke, and creates a self fulfilling prophecy.

Try to cut all, or as much sugar as possible. Avoid soft/fruit juices, chocolate and deep friend foods. I started having green tea and black coffee to get my caffeine fix, both without sugar. I’ve gotten used to it, but it might not be your CUP OF TEA lol.

Keep in mind it’s a gradual process, and you need to keep at it. Failures are expected, so go easy on yourself.

Also get laid if possible, works wonders for self confidence lol.

Hello everyone,

I hope y'all are doing well. I've been struggling to lose weight for a while now (maybe over two years) and in that 2 year period, I gained 15kgs (90-105) and I look very bent out of shape and fat. I hate looking at myself in the mirror and feel massively unattractive. Obviously, I have no one to blame but myself and my eating habits mainly (I can't stop myself from eating junk food). I used to be in tip top shape (mid 80s) back when I was in school, playing footaball and running around for a full hour or so. I used to go to gym (past two years) but not consistently. I'd go every now and then but never consistently, using college work as a crappy excuse. I dunno what to do and I feel depressed cause I know the health ramifications of this as well, mainly and how people might look at me, especially the opposite gender (to put it in decent terms.) I've been dealing with depression (on meds from psychiatrist) for a while now and my weight is partly a reason for it.

If anyone could advice me or help me out, I'd be grateful if I was helped. Thank you in advance and have a lovely day!
With some discipline and dietary control, you'll shed the pounds.

I know how it feels. I weighed 110 Kg up until September 2022. I've lost 41 Kg (69 as of today). Don't get yourself down, you'll do it, trust me :)

With some discipline and dietary control, you'll shed the pounds.

I know how it feels. I weighed 110 Kg up until September 2022. I've lost 41 Kg (69 as of today). Don't get yourself down, you'll do it, trust me :)
Guy reached the magic number.

OP, first of all examine and list out what you are eating and why you gained weight. Your food habits play a major role in weight loss or gain.

Okay so here's my two cents:
You have to start with your mind first. This is going to be the hardest battle of your weight loss journey. Your mind gives up way before your body does ( I don't 'feel' like going gym today, 'one' burger won't hurt etc etc). Tell yourself that you're doing whatever you're doing for your mental health. You are exercising to build a routine, you're eating less to gain more self control etc. Motivation will get you started but discipline and self-control will keep it going.
Easiest way to lose weight when its super hard to exercise & such? Calorie Deficient = Control Food Intake/Eat Less. you can easily shed 5-10kgs within 2-3 months. This would not be normally viable or even 'healthy' for some people but at your weight it is possible. Even if you don't want to exercise It is okay. Just Control your food intake. Avoid Sugar/Junk etc etc. No, you don't have to eat salads and such. You just have to stop eating junk & non healthy stuff.

Exercising also helps with mental health but let's talk about that when you're feeling 'motivated' to go to the gym.

Pro Tip: Get on any social media & start watching short form videos of fitness - any category but fitness (men, not women) be it calisthenics, weight training, boxing whatever it may be. It'll get you going. Trust me.
All The Best.

The thing which helped me out was intermittent fasting. You can watch some videos of this guy here: https://www.youtube.com/@drjasonfung, and if you can grab (or find) a copy of this:https://www.amazon.in/Fast-Feast-Repeat-Comprehensive-Fasting-Including/dp/1250757622

I personally think intermittent fasting + adding exercises later on, was the key to my weight loss. And to add, intermittent fasting will have so many advantages; you will feel like born again.
I also do not recommend blindly getting into intermittent fasting as it as some risks so please consult your doctor.

We all have different body types. Some lose weight quickly, and some will take a while to shed it. Good luck , which ever path you choose , key is consistency.

I was 95 kg in Jan this year. Now I'm 76kg. My trigger for getting fit was getting rejected by a girl i loved LOL

I went a bit extreme but i did exercise + intermittent fasting to achieve it. I would take a 45 min fast walk every day, skip dinner and sometimes do aerobic exercises.

My biggest advice would be to do something. It doesn't have to be everything, just do something every day. Maybe going up and down the stairs for 15mins. A long relaxing walk.

But here's the important part: Don't undo what you did. This is what I was guilty of in the past years. I would do something fitness related and then i would reward myself by eating something unhealthy. Find other ways to reward yourself. You'll only watch that tv episode if you do some cardio that same day etc

Diet + exercise.
Diet change alone can make a large difference and i surprisingly discovered that post covid and lost 15-20 kgs without any form of physical exercise in about 2 years. I am still a bit overweight.

Covid meant i did not eat outside food. Around the same time i read that sugar was harmful, so decided to cut it out. I also moved to vegan diet few years earlier.
Then for some reason i started looking at things that are filling and keep you full and also started adding some seeds into food + started eating peanut butter regularly (after giving up milk/butter).
Due to lack of exercise i thought i was gaining weight, one day by chance saw my weight and thought the machine was broken as i was already at my target weight ( although still overweight a bit).

Before that i had a couple of years when i did a lot of walking and some running + 7 day GM diet ( hated it) during summertime. I was able to again lose same 15-20 kgs of weight but everytime i gained it right back once i stopped in rain/winter. It can be very demotivating.

Hopefully, this time it will stick ( has so far for 1 year+) and at some point i will try to add exercise too but in summary, below is what seemed to have helped me.

1) Completely cut off sugar. Eat fruits instead, they can be very sweet too but contain different type of sugar.
2) Prefer foods with more fiber and more protein. So whole wheat bread, whole grains, tofu, chick peas, black chana etc. No maida, white bread etc
3) Went vegan. I thought i would miss milk/paneer but absolutely do not. Things like ice cream maybe but not tempted at all. This may or may not have mattered.
4) Add healthy seeds into diet too. Some roasted + ground flaxseed, can just mix it with cooked food. Also roasted sesame seeds. And also chia seeds soaked overnight - i take this with peanut butter sandwich.
5) While i have not done much work on this, my aim is to keep finding healthy+tasty food and try to make it my staple. These days i eat peanut butter regularly. It works well in bread along with fruits ( Not jam). Just dont eat too much of PB. Basically whole wheat bread + 1-1.5 spoon peanut butter ( plain - no sugar/salt/oil) spread on it + banana + chiku/mango/grapes etc + soaked chia seeds. Even sabji can work with it. This for now has sort of become my staple as its very tasty and easy to do. PB + mix some chocolate powder can be really good. In future, will try to add things like pasta/noodles/hummus etc
6) Prefer things with healthy fats - so no trans fat and good balance of unsaturated fat vs saturated fat.

Some other things that i have heard can help but did not manage to do it regularly
1) Drink water before food
2) Eat last meal early rather than late. Also heavy breakfast and light dinner.

Also mediterranean diet is widely accepted to be one of healthiest, so can look at that.
And exercise too ofc. Good luck.

Last edited:
Start with the easiest thing to do.
1. Walk for a KM or two a day.
2. Stop drinking Sugary Drinks, Drink Soda Instead. This will stop you weight gain, Reduce Sugar in Tea to minimal.
3. Eat normally as you would enjoy it, Just avoid that extra serving.
4. Increasing walking to 3-4 KM's Try to run like 50m stretches', This will relax your muscles and make you feel the progress.
5. In a Month, Walking around 5 Km will become habit. You are feeling fresher.

Now You can listen to all the advice offered here. It is the habit which makes or breaks your journey.

2 yr Lockdown has made it even worse. Even average people like has been out of shape thanks to the belly bulging which simply refuses to reduce. I was an almost flat tummy guy pre-lockdown and post, its all belly and waist fat while rest body is as is.

I wish there was a simple exercise which could be done at home no matter anytime of the day when on empty stomach.

Sitting and munching + lockdown work load cum tensions stress seem to have added fast to the entire globe.

You have to start counting your calories my friend. Buy a food scale and weigh your food and calculate how many calories you have per day. Then decrease that by 10 percent every 6 months and in a few month you will start noticing changes. Also you can essentially burn more calories by exercising such as working out in the gym or running (only running burns more calories not walking). Workout has an added benefit of making your skin toned. The you will notice changes even faster. But my friend our goal is not quick changes as that can be detrimental to your health. Do everyting gradually.

If you feel like these tasks are too much to do then you are loosing out on the starting line itself. Push yourself and get you tasks done. I have been working out since 6 years now.
DM me if you want a more detailed plan for your specific needs.

A lot of fantastic advice on this thread so I don't really have more of that to add.

I would just say that whatever you choose to do, start small- and aim to be consistent. Showing up everyday to do 15-20mins of something minimal works wonders over months and years, than going all in for 6 days a week at the gym and burning out. Don't go in with the expectation of looking good in a short period, make it a lifestyle change. Results will show in time. Don't lost hope and stop too soon.

The second thing would be try to find the kind of activity that gets you excited. For me, regular weight training and running on treadmills at the gym was boring even though I was getting results. I came across gymnastic rings at some point and eventually advanced calisthenics, and this stuff really got me excited every session. That really changed how I viewed fitness and I started paying attention to my body at a physiological level. This is what helped make fitness a sustainable aspect of my life, and not dread it.- going on 3-4 years now, non stop. After a while I found shuffling + skipping rope, which became my sustainable cardio.

Hope this works out for you, and all the best my friend. Now is always the best time to start :)

Last edited:
Would definitely start taking gym seriously, I had opposite problem, I was severely underweight never really confident. Been taking gym seriously for past year has seen great positive effects on my mood and confidence. Start slow bro you can make it.

If you are interested in no bs scientific advice take a look this yt channel

To add on, most people usually eat less protein than their body requires, try to incorporate protein in your diet. Have it across the day rather than on one single meal.

Also try to have enough fiber in your diet. People rage about sugar, but its very vital for living due to its quick energy. Fibers make us feel full, and also kinda control the rate of sugar absorption. Try to incorporate salads, raw veggies or fruits into your diet.

While some members here are suggesting gym, I doubt if it would be possible for everyone to go to gym.
Based on what I heard from several people, gym is a great and faster way to lose weight/fat and gain muscle and look/feel fitter. But it should mostly be a lifelong commitment. It's not like you lose weight, become fit and then quit gym. That would probably be a bigger mistake. For people who can commit to gym regularly, it's purposeful.
CMIIW.

Hey there bro, just wanted to drop some advice from someone who's probably in your age group (Just entering college right? same here).

During lockdowns I gained alot of weight, taking online classes, sitting on my ass for that long, eating whatever I wanted, it was bound to get me fat. And I did, almost touched 90kg when ideally 70-75 would have been a good weight for my height (6ft). Eventually I just looked so bad, although I only realise it now after having taken a look at my pictures from then. Fast forward to today, having got some crazy ass motivation to pickup girls about a year and a half back, I started doing silly core exercises everyday for 30 mins to an hour. However I swear these were extremely hard for someone who was never ever athletic in any way (I couldn't even run 50m if I wanted to). But I pushed through every plank hold, every freaking X MAN CRUNCH by constantly thinking and reminding myself why I was doing this and just pushed on.

I then joined a gym on Jan 5, 2022 and have worked out as consistenly as I can for a year and a half. At the moment I'm 75 kgs, decent amount of muscle but there's more left to be desired. I understand that your weight is more than what I had to lose but if you have the real true motivation to actually lose it, you can brother. Where there's a will there's a way. I emphasise this because I have a friend who's severely overweight. If he would just lose it and enter double digits, my gosh he would look like a film star with his height and fair skin. But he just doesn't have the motivation to do it. He's not at all happy with his weight of course but he just doesn't have that fire in him to lose the weight, he would rather drink up, eat up. But I feel that you have all the right reasons and desire to make a change in your life. By posting this on a public forum here, you do indeed have that strong desire and I urge you to use it.

Some tips that I'll share for you

1. Go to the gym. A good private one, not the corporate types like cult or iconic fitness or whatever that have multiple branches. Go to a gym where you'll see the same owner/trainer everyday, the same gym goers, familiar faces etc. Hearing the gym owner say, "EY MACHA YOU BECOMING MORE MUSCULAR EVERYDAY" to finally being able to outlift that one guy you first saw a year back to just nodding heads with the other 2 guys who workout as the same time as you, social interaction is essential for humans. Going out of the house, burning calories, hitting reps, it always improves my mood no matter what. Staying inside your home and sitting on the PC for too long (as our parents would say) is terrible for our mental state. While most of what I do part time requires me to stay online, try and always disconnect yourself for the few hours you spend outside. Exercising and just going out has really helped me think more clear and feel better on my worst days. Do not try to lose weight by just following a DIET and sitting at home, I've tried it, I know even you've probably tried it too, it works for some people but exercising is a good distraction to not eat, otherwise what else do you do at home? Watch movies (and eat), play video games (and maybe have a bowl of chips on the side). lol it's how we got this big in the first place. Also follow a routine that you can actually do, yes college really takes up my time, so what did I do? I switched from a PPL 6 days a week to an upper lower split 4 days a week, there's always a way brother.
  2. Diet. I'm still figuring this out as well. I've never followed a diet strictly honestly speaking, taking the scales out, measuring this or that (until recently). For the most part what I've done is cut down what I usually eat. Obviously remove the junk food that I know is just not healthy for me and just kept hitting the reps. However I suggest you take diet tips from other members here as they are more experienced with this (DM that member too who said he can help you with the diet)
  3. Stay positive and push on, no you won't turn into a 6 pack machine in 3 months or so but I promise you within a month, if you follow what everyone here has said ( don't follow all the advice on here religiously lol, take the ones you can actually do, Turning vegan works for some but for some they just can't give up the taste of meat. Both are equally good) you'll start seeing the potential future you. The great thing about looking better and being better is it's just so tough in the first few months, but eventually that switch just flips in your head and you thoughts just convert itself from "Gosh I wish I could have a burger rn" to "Gosh I shouldn't have eaten that burger I feel like shit". You'll start regretting missing this specific exercise day or that. You've probably not experienced this yet I believe as you have gone to the gym for 2 years, but not "consistently". It's that consistency where everything just starts to click.
I have so much more to say but I feel like an uncle typing this already :p But Best of Luck my friend. Your future you btw is thanking you for what you're doing today.

Back