Budget 0-20k Help with power supply, case and case fan configuration

silverstar

Disciple
  1. What is your budget?
    • 5K or fair market price for PSU
    • As cheap as possible for an ATX case with space for 4 or more 2.5/3.5 inch HDDs
    • Fair price for case fans
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Except HDD, I’ve recently purchased all other hardware from various folks on TE. Purchase decisions may not be good but IMO I was getting the best bang for the buck.
  1. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
All the hardware mentioned above.
  1. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • PSU – Looking to buy this (Gigabyte P650B 650W 80+ bronze from Amazon)
    • Case - This or this [Corsair Spec-01 or Carbide 100R ATX case, prefer 4 or more 3.5 inch HDD slots, as cheap as possible]
    • Thinking of buying this (4*120 mm *cheap* fans from Cooler master). I don't know if it's sufficient or is of good-enough quality. Request suggestions on case fan configuration as well. (Thinking of 1 inlet each from front and top, 1 front inlet for HDD bay and 1 back exhaust)
  2. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
This will be my final configuration for the foreseeable future. I might add more HDDs or upgrade the CPU but I don’t have any specific plans rn. For storing games I might pick up a 2/4 TB HDD
  1. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Prefer online purchase or TE Dealer
    • Hyderabad (as last resort)
  2. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes. Would prefer brand new or like new though.
  3. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Primarily for Plex/media streaming server
    • Occasional Gaming
  4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
None.
  1. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • I don't game a lot but I want to play upcoming games like Watch Dogs: Legion, Far Cry 6, Cyberpunk 2077 (my specs are probably a joke)
    • War games like World of Tanks (PC) and World of Warships (PC) and War Thunder
  2. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
As a plex server I wouldn’t really require a monitor and can manage using RDP or SSH. For initial setup and for gaming I will be using a1080p monitor. I might use either 1440p or 4K monitor after upgrading but don't have immediate plans for this.
  1. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Maybe but I don’t have any plans currently.
  2. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    • Linux – Ubuntu or Manjaro 64 bit

For PSU I'll suggest Corsair CX450 it's (80+ bronze rated with 5 years warranty) , New should be around 3.8k. (CX series grey label one are also recommended on LTT forum PSU List)
For case, I'm doing a build for a friend in Corsair Spec 01 and I have to say it's a nice case with good cooling and fans support, although side panel is not tempered glass.
Currently listed on Amazon for 2.9k with additional 10% off using icici cards which makes this a good deal.
For fans you may opt for Coolermaster silent pack of 4x120mm fans for 1.3k with additional 10% off making it a VFM deal.

@NAV33N thanks for validating my choice of case and fans. I'm not keen for having a transparent side-panel so the Spec 01 works quite well. I might end up buying the Corsair Spec 01 and the 4*120 mm Cooler Master pack.

On the power supply front, however I wasn't really sure about the wattage. Most online calculators suggested a 500W PSU. I was initially confused between 550W and 650W and ended up shortlisting the 650W PSU to leave enough place for more disks and probably the GPU. I would presume a 450W power supply would leave no meaningful room for additional components or upgrades. I might be wrong though.

I also see that the CX450 model you've suggested to be out of stock on Amazon, Flipkart, MD Computers and Prime ABGB so I might end up buying a 550W power supply from Corsair or another 450W from a different recommended brand.

Go for CX series, rather than CV series if you are opting for Corsair.
If going 550 and above do consider Seasonic PSU too, they are one of the best PSU Manufacturer in the business.

Back