Help with Xbox 360 Purchase

arun_rulezzz

Adept
Oct 21, 2005
I'm thinking of buying an Xbox360 console in Mumbai and I want to spend as little money as possible to buy it and have it modified.

Here's a list of my questions I hope someone can answer -

1. whats the cheapest price of an Xbox360 (core/pro) that you know of in Mumbai and where can you buy it ?
2. why is the pro console better than the core ?
3. How much does a mod chip cost and where can you get it ? Also , are there any dealers that sell the xbox along with the modchip ?
4. what are the things i should fear with a modded console apart from the warranty being void ?
5. does RROD happen often ?
6. can i play games online with a modified console with backups of my games ? what about playing games online with a modified console and an original game ?
thanks in advance : ) i hope to get help regarding this and avoid getting cheated at shops ^ ^

Arun.P

Warning: Do Not Trade
Skilled
Jul 24, 2007
but you already have L7 cause no one cannot afford the costly proccy :no2:

so why can u you use it cause u can sell the old intel duo rig

why can u get ps3 i have no idea about console games :)

ThirdOne

Recruit
Dec 28, 2008
arun_rulezzz said:
I'm thinking of buying an Xbox360 console in Mumbai and I want to spend as little money as possible to buy it and have it modified.

Here's a list of my questions I hope someone can answer -

2. why is the pro console better than the core ?
Has a hard disk. And wireless controllers and Component cable + other stuff.
3. How much does a mod chip cost and where can you get it ? Also , are there any dealers that sell the xbox along with the modchip ?
Need to flash the DVD firmware. No modchip required.
4. what are the things i should fear with a modded console apart from the warranty being void ?
RROD
5. does RROD happen often ?
Quite often.
6. can i play games online with a modified console with backups of my games
? what about playing games online with a modified console and an original game ?
Typically MS hands out bans every 6 months.

I would suggest you wait for a month as MS is launching newer models at lower prices. These would be better than a modded console as they are less RROD prone.

arun_rulezzz

Adept
Oct 21, 2005
Is there anyone here who has a modded console which is completely RROD free and has been that way for over 6 months ?

ps - already have a ps3, so that's out. but i figured if i bought 5 ps3 titles i might as well buy an xbox360 instead

yaju13385

Disciple
Dec 29, 2008
i recently bought a core model from consoul.in, they offer d cheapest at 13.5k+.5K shipping. You can buy 60gb+3 months windows live +live headset+Ethernet cable live pack for 99$, i think v; be arnd 6K via KMD.:eek:hyeah:

arun_rulezzz

Adept
Oct 21, 2005
if i dont buy windows live, i cant play any games online ?

does the new jasper chipset for the xbox360 experience the same RROD problem ?

i'm hoping to buy the console with everything i need in less than 20 g

suhas93

Disciple
Dec 2, 2008
^^ Buddy, its Xbox Live....ya, u cant play online if you dont have Xbox live Gold membership..

Jasper chipset is less prone to rrod...

u missed diwali offer :( thats the best offer you can get

techie_007

Skilled
Jun 2, 2007
www.techiesdomain.com
arun_rulezzz said:
if i dont buy windows live, i cant play any games online ?

does the new jasper chipset for the xbox360 experience the same RROD problem ?

i'm hoping to buy the console with everything i need in less than 20 g

No one knows about jasper since it hasnt been out in the real world long enough, period :)

arun_rulezzz

Adept
Oct 21, 2005
suhas93 said:
^^ Buddy, its Xbox Live....ya, u cant play online if you dont have Xbox live Gold membership..

Jasper chipset is less prone to rrod...

u missed diwali offer :( thats the best offer you can get

yeah about that, i just found out today that i can buy a new xbox with the following features -

xbox 360 core
20 gb hdd
1 wired controller
1 wireless controller
hdmi cable

for INR 14,990. i asked why it was so less, they said it was the "diwali offer " i was like "now?? " and they're like "yupsidaisy"

is that a good buy ? ^

i'm planning to modify it as soon as i purchase it. do you think its better to use it for awhile unmodded and then mod ? also, with the above core package i'm getting, whats the difference between the "pro " and the above "core" package.

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
^In Mumbai? Where exactly?

Are you sure it bundles a Wireless controller & a wired controller? AFAIK the Diwali offer stated one 20GB HDD, One Wireless controller & 2 free games.

techie_007

Skilled
Jun 2, 2007
www.techiesdomain.com
arun_rulezzz said:
yeah about that, i just found out today that i can buy a new xbox with the following features -

xbox 360 core
20 gb hdd
1 wired controller
1 wireless controller
hdmi cable

for INR 14,990. i asked why it was so less, they said it was the "diwali offer " i was like "now?? " and they're like "yupsidaisy"

is that a good buy ? ^

i'm planning to modify it as soon as i purchase it. do you think its better to use it for awhile unmodded and then mod ? also, with the above core package i'm getting, whats the difference between the "pro " and the above "core" package.

YES, that is a VERY good offer. It was a limited time thing. If you can get it, please do. Completely worth it IMO.

thebanik

Skilled
May 23, 2007
arun_rulezzz said:
hmm...
is rrod caused due to overheating problems only ? or can it happen to just anyone who hasn't done anything wrong

though its caused due to overheating problems but thats because of a bad design issue, and you cannot do anything about it like, keeping it in open or airy room....or running it for a few hours...If it has to happen then it does happen....

arun_rulezzz

Adept
Oct 21, 2005
i've found out from ninja traders in mumbai that i can get an xbox pro for 19 k with -

1 cordless controller

20 gb hdd

sv cables

headphones

and this ones modified. so that means i can't play games online and i have no warranty. i hope that if i take a risk with this one nothing goes bad but now it's confirmed that RROD is beyond my control so i should hope for the best.

@ ethan, i visited planet m this morning and they told me they could sell me the core console at that price but they don't seem to have it now as i've called to confirm if its available and they're yet to tell me.

so if all else fails i'm going ahead with the ninja traders one.

stormblast

Skilled
Mar 27, 2005
arun_rulezzz said:
i've found out from ninja traders in mumbai that i can get an xbox pro for 19 k with -

1 cordless controller
20 gb hdd
sv cables
headphones
and this ones modified. so that means i can't play games online and i have no warranty. i hope that if i take a risk with this one nothing goes bad but now it's confirmed that RROD is beyond my control so i should hope for the best.

@ ethan, i visited planet m this morning and they told me they could sell me the core console at that price but they don't seem to have it now as i've called to confirm if its available and they're yet to tell me.

so if all else fails i'm going ahead with the ninja traders one.

if u buy from ninja he will give u a ntsc j console.

i would say to buy it officially & then update the drive firmware to play backup games. this way u have a modded console which is PAL. & 'when' it rrod's u can give it to ms for replacement as its a PAL console. most of the time u will get a new console as they dont check if the firmware has been updated.

also from what i have seen is that the ntsc/j that sell here usually always get rrod. but then again even pal's do. its totally random. its a big risk getting ntsc/j

ashr

Skilled
Dec 11, 2005
hope you don't mind me posting here arun. i'm on the look out for a "cheap" Xbox as well. what i mean by cheap is...

i'm not gonna use the console for ANYTHING ELSE except STREET FIGHTER 4. i don't like console gaming but this game really blew me away. all i want to do is play this over XBL... nothing else. i have my PC for my other gaming needs. will i need a hard disk to do this? i don't need a wireless controller as i'm planning to buy Arcade sticks as well.

ashr

Skilled
Dec 11, 2005
Ethan_Hunt said:
^Then why not wait for the PC version?

what? wait???

This is Street Fighter 4!

no really. i can't wait. there's no word on the PC port's release date. i don't think it'll come anytime soon.

stormblast

Skilled
Mar 27, 2005
ashr said:
hope you don't mind me posting here arun. i'm on the look out for a "cheap" Xbox as well. what i mean by cheap is...

i'm not gonna use the console for ANYTHING ELSE except STREET FIGHTER 4. i don't like console gaming but this game really blew me away. all i want to do is play this over XBL... nothing else. i have my PC for my other gaming needs. will i need a hard disk to do this? i don't need a wireless controller as i'm planning to buy Arcade sticks as well.

u will need a 256mb card atleast to save games for sf4. u will get those quite cheap i think. u get them along with arcade console.