High-quality stuff manufactured in India?

unixguru

Disciple
I know that India is not even a minor player in manufacturing electronic and computer parts but you would think at least we would be dominating in some computer peripherals. For instance we are very big player in the Car Industry. It would be really nice if there are some Indian companies that produce high end cabinets, power supplies, heat sinks, fans, speakers, headphones, gaming accessories like keyboard, mouse, mousepads, gamepad. None of the parts I have mentioned are anywhere close to the complexity of a car but if manufactured in India, we could get it for much lesser price. I know that iBall manufactures most of the stuff I have mentioned, but looking through their websites and gaudy designs, high quality is not the impression that is formed. Maybe I am being biased, but would anybody buy iBall over international products even though iBall is much cheaper?

You really think so?

Even as far as tailors are concerned, India's No.1 can't even compete with Top 100 in the world and maybe not even Top 100 in USA alone.

Same goes for anything in western apparel like trousers, jeans etc.

And it is the same with all third world countries.

When it comes to sheer quality and money is no object, Italy or USA is the way to go, at times England too.

^^^ Pssst!!! Just look at the label below the collar of your johnny english or whatever shirt you wear! (It says made in India!) And that fancy tight skinny ass hugging jeans you have made by diesel(that's made in India as well!! In Bangalore!!!!)

Damn!! You are an Indian as well !!

@rite

Unless you consider the egyptian cotton and stuff, all the best cotton for the world comes from, where do you think MR rite?

Although the brands of your liking may not be present in India, but mass produced stuff take the cotton from here, hell most of the companies will be here making poor people work 16 hours for 50rs a day and stuff :-@

And money is an object buddy, unlike you a whole lot of TEians belong to upper or lower middle class , for us Money plays a big role when selecting an item for us!

Any company while manufacturing an item has to consider the cost of item!Unless it indents to make it a boutique company !

India currently has a great market for low cost or medium cost items, but its not the same for high cost items!

We nevere know, after a few years iBall can end up being known for its high quality items, if thats what the company's vision is! but if its to make items as cheap and as affordable as possible for the Mass market, We might be known for that!

Mr Ratan Tata Had a vision of making a Car available For Rs 1Lakh, and he realised that! it made first page news at different continents , dint it?

@Unix guru, India is indeed a big player in cars , yes but its not known for its high quality products ! its known for its cheap labour, so the companies came here and setup their plants here !and started exporting them!

rite said:
You really think so?

Even as far as tailors are concerned, India's No.1 can't even compete with Top 100 in the world and maybe not even Top 100 in USA alone.

Same goes for anything in western apparel like trousers, jeans etc.

And it is the same with all third world countries.

When it comes to sheer quality and money is no object, Italy or USA is the way to go, at times England too.

Most electronics and computer parts are manufactured in China and Taiwan and not in the countries you have mentioned. As much as big apparel companies would try to convince you otherwise, there is not much technology going on in manufacturing like apparel and jeans. And contrary to popular belief Indian cheap stuff clothing is very very good. Many of my cousins living abroad buy their clothing from India because the same stuff is much cheaper here.

Anyway stick to the topic, it is purely about electronics and computer parts and from your post I do not see why we cannot manufacture high quality stuff when China and Taiwan can.

@ OP same question sometime arise in my mind but there are many things which are made in India with superior quality and when you look at it "Ohh this is made in India". Products are made according to consumer demands, India will take time to be in line of "Made in India" as soon as consumer demands.

rahul2003 said:
@ OP same question sometime arise in my mind but there are many things which are made in India with superior quality and when you look at it "Ohh this is made in India". Products are made according to consumer demands, India will take time to be in line of "Made in India" as soon as consumer demands.

Are you seriously trying to say that there is not much demand for good cabinets, keyboard and mouse, speakers and headphones? In my opinion good imported headphones are very overpriced. Same goes for gaming keyboard and mouse. These can be manufactured in India quite easily and we could all save our hard earned money.

You guys really don't have any idea, don't you.

If you only pay $100 for a shirt, you don't expect it to be made in Italy with Italian cotton, right?

I am talking of affluent people who send $500-1000 for a shirt or $5000-20000 for a suit. Their stuff is made in Italy using Italian materials, wool, cotton etc.

If you can only afford to pay for low-lower mid stuff, Indian stuff may be decent. But when it comes to high quality stuff, India doesn't exist in that territory.

And don't tell me that you can Hugo Boss high end when their shirts sell for $50-60 at Nordstrom. When I say high end I mean Brioni, Kiton, Gucci MTM, Armani highest labels etc.

Not saying I can afford them, but those who can will get Italian stuff.

Even good Cashmere isn't produced in India. Maybe if you can only afford 10k for a jacket, but if you can spend a few lacs on a jacket, then Italy it is.

Atleast rite din't start this...

I feel for OP here... Its good that lot of products manufactured in india are accessible to majority of lower middle class crowd here. Meanwhile, as the per capita income increases, the companies will venture into riskier waters of high-class products. Don't lose hope yet.

Just btw,

US made shirts start at $50-100 but those which are worth it start around $150-250 or so.

Italian shirts start around the same price but worth it ones are usually a few times the minimum price.

And if you compare a US shirt which costs $300 to anything made in India, the US one will hands down rule.

rite said:
Just btw,

US made shirts start at $50-100 but those which are worth it start around $150-250 or so.

Italian shirts start around the same price but worth it ones are usually a few times the minimum price.

And if you compare a US shirt which costs $300 to anything made in India, the US one will hands down rule.

Please explain the various aspects by which the $300 shirt would rule. A detailed review would be taken more seriously than a single line saying it costs a lot and hence it is much superior.

I think all rite cares about is badge.

Anyway coming to the point, there are quite a few manufacturers of high end audio equipment based out of India. Things that come to my mind immediately are

Rethm Loudspeakers

Cadence Loudspeakers and Amplifiers

Delta Transformers

Peerless India (Loudspeaker drivers)

There's a chap in Mumbai who builds state of the art equipment racks that are as good as anything from SolidTech/Finite Elemente for a fraction of the price.

1. Fabric. Instead of Indian poly blend you will get 100% Italian cotton Super 180-200 or so, no comparison. The fabric itself is worth a few hundred dollars.

2. Buttons won't be plastic. They will be mother of pearl or better.

3. Fit will be a lot better, far more contemporary and tailored. Something which suits any individual a lot better.

4. More subtle and better designs which are often hard to find.

etc

rite said:
1. Fabric. Instead of Indian poly blend you will get 100% Italian cotton Super 180-200 or so, no comparison. The fabric itself is worth a few hundred dollars.

2. Buttons won't be plastic. They will be mother of pearl or better.

3. Fit will be a lot better, far more contemporary and tailored. Something which suits any individual a lot better.

4. More subtle and better designs which are often hard to find.

etc

1. I'm sure we can find whatever % blend and GSM fabric in India too, and at fairly reasonable prices. Dunno if Italian makes things so much better but considering the current govt maybe there is something to that.

2. What do buttons have to do with country? Same as above.

3. Except you can get the clothes custom tailored here at far less price than off the shelf items in US. Or are you saying that even the off the shelf ones there have better fit than custom tailored ones from here?

4. What is "better" design anyway?

Weaving, embriodery, stitching all are simply labor intensive activities and so I don't think there is any technological advantage with any of the western countries when it comes to clothing.

Back