Home Automation - 75+ devices - From Domoticz to Home Assistant

Yes - but it isn’t plug & play
you will need to write a small script for each room to define the cleaning area.

I too have that on my mind but haven't yet got around to doing it
Hi,

Can you share a good way to get started with this? I have a Home Assistant server running and was able to get the custom component to recognize the Xiaomi Vacuum. Is there a good online tutorial that can get me started on getting alexa to be able to send the vacuum to the rooms (since the current vacuum has rooms and doesn't require co-ordinates like the prev version did

Was your router able to handle 80 devices on it? Which router are you using? Congratulations on getting featured on Hackaday.

Was your router able to handle 80 devices on it? Which router are you using? Congratulations on getting featured on Hackaday.
I'm using an Orbi RBR50 with two satellites.

I would think most mid range routers should be able to handle 100 devices comfortably in such a setup, especially as most of the nodes add minimal traffic

{"NAME":"Solimo RGBCCT 12","GPIO":[0,0,0,0,37,41,0,0,38,40,39,0,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":18}
Do remember to correct the whiteblend mode from the console after setting the template

Simple rule of thumb - Anything from a non trustworthy manufacturer, just block it from Internet access altogether at the router/ firewall.. e.g. Samsung (smartthings), Philips (Hue), Apple , google, amazon etc are allowed access while Hikvision/ tuya/ foscam etc etc aren't
Cameras are accessed either through the Core (HA) or via the hikvision app with traffic routed to it indirectly

Now openvpn to aws is a special case scenario for me because my primary ISP uses CGNAT (i.e. gives me a private IP instead of a global IP)
Now let's say i need access to port 123 on HA (or could be domoticz or anything) server 192.168.0.100
So I would access my aws server port 123 (or can be 456 or anything) which in turn will route the traffic on port 456 to the ovpn client (within my LAN) which in turn will route it to 192.168.0.100:123

If you get a public IP, you do not necessarily need this..
please still use a vpn with a public ip,open ports/sites directly on ip can be easy to crack.

I had a question around these wifi relay modules you plug into the switch boxes
My wife and mom are totally up in arms against my house automation - they are frustrated because the switch behaviour in the house is very unpredictable (i am currently using smart lights and bulbs and have not touch the wiring). They hate asking google to do things, and prefer to use switches, but if the device is already turned off by assistant, there is no way to turn it on using the switch.
Plus they leave it off all the time and these cheap wipro bulbs lose the pairing after a while and start flashing and need to be re paired

If you use these switch relay modules -
1. Which takes precedence, the switch position or the google assistant control ?
Ie if the switch is in the off position, but you tell google to turn the bulb on, will the bulb turn on or stay off
If it turn off, and now you move the switch (which was already in off) to on position, Now what will happen, will the bulb stay on or turn off ?

My wife and mom are totally up in arms against my house automation - they are frustrated because the switch behaviour in the house is very unpredictable (i am currently using smart lights and bulbs and have not touch the wiring). They hate asking google to do things, and prefer to use switches, but if the device is already turned off by assistant, there is no way to turn it on using the switch.
Plus they leave it off all the time and these cheap wipro bulbs lose the pairing after a while and start flashing and need to be re paired

1. Which takes precedence, the switch position or the google assistant control ?
Ie if the switch is in the off position, but you tell google to turn the bulb on, will the bulb turn on or stay off
If it turn off, and now you move the switch (which was already in off) to on position, Now what will happen, will the bulb stay on or turn off ?

I use smart bulbs in my existing sockets so I need to keep their switches ON while operating via google/alexa... but I can manually turn them on if I toggle the switch OFF then back ON. Of course to manually turn them off, once you turn off the switch then kinda stuck if you need to go back to alexa control...

I too had same queries.. I think the switches and appliances are to be kept on all the time. At least for smart bulbs thats what I have to do but they arent connected to a wifi smart plug though. May be in that case the scenario is different..

Last edited:
Which takes precedence, the switch position or the google assistant control ?
1 if the switch is in the off position, but you tell google to turn the bulb on, will the bulb turn on or stay off
2 If it turn off, and now you move the switch (which was already in off) to on position, Now what will happen, will the bulb stay on or turn off ?

1) Depends on the smart device manufacturer's implementation. It could be that the command is simply ignored or it could go into a queue and the bulb may turn on next time you turn on the switch.
2) Same as 2, most modern smart devices remember their last command. So if it was off by command before turning the switch off then it should stay off otherwise it could just turn on. Again, this depends on manufacturer.

In my opinion (and experience with my parents), it's better to use dumb devices that are switched often (lights, fans, tv etc) and only automate the things which follow a clear routine (in my case it was the geyser, parents need to leave for work at 10, geyser turns on at 8 on weekdays, turns off at 10 everyday, they're always rushing so the automation helps and they don't forget to turn it on/off) or things that have unreachable (hard to reach) power sockets (water pump, one AC) and are switched infrequently.

A perfect solution would be smart switches that also reflect the state of the switch (turning it off over network also moves the switch to the "off" position, physically). I'm not aware if any such devices exist.

You may keep experimenting with smart devices, but keep it limited to a room where those who don't want to interact, aren't forced to. Not married yet, but can certainly attest to the adage happy wife = happy life.

In my opinion (and experience with my parents), it's better to use dumb devices that are switched often (lights, fans, tv etc) and only automate the things which follow a clear routine (in my case it was the geyser, parents need to leave for work at 10, geyser turns on at 8 on weekdays, turns off at 10 everyday, they're always rushing so the automation helps and they don't forget to turn it on/off) or things that have unreachable (hard to reach) power sockets (water pump, one AC) and are switched infrequently.

A perfect solution would be smart switches that also reflect the state of the switch (turning it off over network also moves the switch to the "off" position, physically). I'm not aware if any such devices exist.

You may keep experimenting with smart devices, but keep it limited to a room where those who don't want to interact, aren't forced to. Not married yet, but can certainly attest to the adage happy wife = happy life.
Another candidate is automated window blinds, watering your plants, and water motor if you have one. I am looking to create a setup that fills my rooftop water tank automatically and keeps it topped up.

Another candidate is automated window blinds, watering your plants, and water motor if you have one. I am looking to create a setup that fills my rooftop water tank automatically and keeps it topped up.
Now, that this has come up, I'm looking for some setup for watering plants in absence during vacation.
Is there a cheap solution either on battery, electricity or manual but which will suffice for 4-5 days ?

Maid waters plants but by the time we return home, at least two plants are dead.

Now, that this has come up, I'm looking for some setup for watering plants in absence during vacation.
Is there a cheap solution either on battery, electricity or manual but which will suffice for 4-5 days ?

Maid waters plants but by the time we return home, at least two plants are dead.
Search amazon for drip irrigation kits. Can't personally endorse them but they seem like a relatively mature product category.

Search amazon for drip irrigation kits. Can't personally endorse them but they seem like a relatively mature product category.
Have already did that but what shows up is just the assembly kit used in those gardens etc. requiring pumps and all.
I have already tried putting plants in bucket filled with some water and the results were horrible...all insects, earthworms etc swimming in the water and it was all muddish both the soil and the bucket.
Some plants died due to over-hydration.

Have already did that but what shows up is just the assembly kit used in those gardens etc. requiring pumps and all.
I have already tried putting plants in bucket filled with some water and the results were horrible...all insects, earthworms etc swimming in the water and it was all muddish both the soil and the bucket.
Some plants died due to over-hydration.
You don't need pumps, just a water supply with some pressure, and a solenoid valve that is controlled with a timer or through smarter means. I'm pretty sure you can find the kits that have the solenoid valve+timer included.

Back