Home Electrical Overhaul.

cranky said:
^^One simply attaches the old wire to the new, and pulls at the other end. I assume your question is about replacing wire inside existing conduits.
Correct, and i thought you could do it as you say but there are so many corners the wire snakes its way through that i've got this feeling that the friction would be more than the old wire could stand and end up breaking. With telephone wire this is even worse.

Course if the conduit diamter is large this may be less of a problem, i've seen ppl use a 'snake' to insert cable in but i don't know if that works with narrow diameter conduits used here.

@blr_p - any damage to old wire is restricted to insulation, unless the wiring is 100 years old and have degraded to corn chips, the conductors are strong enough to pull wire through. The cores don't go weak unless you've been abusing the wiring. The method of using steel wire is very useful when there is no wire in the conduit, but it works well enough. I've seen some of the real pros draw wire just by pushing it at one end - luckily we installed 1.5" conduits in the wall when we were wiring up the entire building.

Is finolex houseguard good enough ? .

The electrician said he will do 2 gauge for lighting and 4 gauge for heating . Is it 2.5 mm and 4mm thick respectively ? .I am also going for 16 way DB box .

If I go for 4mm and 6mm thickness , How much difference in increase amount should I expect for a house size of 1000 sq feet ? .As one of member above said that should reduce the resistance and also lower wattage loss .Is it worth going for higher thickness wires?

For lighting should it be >10A MCB and for lighting >16A MCB?

Also the for earthing how thick should be copper wire going into the earth ?

How many earth leakage breaker should I have ?

Lots of questions . Thanks.

Well i doubt its 2 guage and 4 guage,he mostly said 2.5 and 4 sq mm.

You should have one ELCB/meter. Choosing the wire depends on the appliances being used like how many geyser/heater,Air con capacity,kitchen appliances like electrical stove/induction stove/cooker etc.

For ligthing a 8A to 10A mcb should be more then enough,for heating i would go with 20A MCB but depends on what appliances you use for eg if you use a instant water heater they consumer around 3000watt or 4000watt or so if use one of those fancy shower heaters so for that a 20A is recommended.

Is it worth going for higher thickness wires?

Yes.

Also the for earthing how thick should be copper wire going into the earth ?

Minimum 3mmx25mm square bar copper for 8 - 9 feet. 1foot above the ground, then can be terminated to the household earthing system. Keep the ground moist. Copper will erode so replace every ten years.

adder said:
Well i doubt its 2 guage and 4 guage,he mostly said 2.5 and 4 sq mm.

You should have one ELCB/meter. Choosing the wire depends on the appliances being used like how many geyser/heater,Air con capacity,kitchen appliances like electrical stove/induction stove/cooker etc.

For ligthing a 8A to 10A mcb should be more then enough,for heating i would go with 20A MCB but depends on what appliances you use for eg if you use a instant water heater they consumer around 3000watt or 4000watt or so if use one of those fancy shower heaters so for that a 20A is recommended.

Are you sure about the 1 ELCB/meter thing?

My hostel has 1ELCB/room, and 30 rooms/meter

Appt has 1ELCB/Phase (3 phase connection)

mehrotra.akash said:
Are you sure about the 1 ELCB/meter thing?

My hostel has 1ELCB/room, and 30 rooms/meter
Appt has 1ELCB/Phase (3 phase connection)

These are rules of KEB/BESCOM in bangalore.

Your hostel is different environment ,say one person uses a crappy electrical device or accidentally touches a live wire,if you install just one ELCB and if it trips the entire 30 rooms will have no power.So every rooms need a ELCB.

Cranky/Adder: Its great to hear from you guys regarding the wiring part , but it would be really hard for the average Joe to find a electrician/agency who knows this stuff and can help him do it.. Would you know of some such people in NCR?

Back