Home!

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
After a lot of contemplation we (i.e. me and my good ol' roomie Moorthy) finally decided to opt out of our 3 year old cramped and congested dormitory'ish house and moved into a nice spacious 3 BHK apartment in the nearby locality. We were almost on the verge of moving out and then the landlord raised the rent so this was the perfect reason to opt out! Bit a deal on a freshly painted and modular kitchen equipped 3 BHK apartment on the 3rd floor of a 4 storey building which has a CNG pipeline connection as well. We moved in on August 1st, bought some new furniture, appliances, home-decor stuff like curtains, carpet etc. Celebrated the house warming party last fortnight with a bunch of close friends. It was so much fun. Check out the snaps below:

The drawing room:

4OtP6.jpg

Here's where we catch up on some movie/series or I play a console game/TPS or listen to music. There's a hole drilled that between this room and the adjacent room where my PC is installed so I could play the TPS titles on the bigger display using a long HDMI cable.

rwyx4.jpg

That's a new equipment shelf btw. Cost me 8000 INR from Housefull. It actually has 2 sliding doors at the 2 ends with frost glass but I decided not to use them. Nicely fits all the equipment I have now. And plenty of space for an AVR (that will eventually replace the aging Philips receiver) and a DAC in the near future. I had to use a hole-saw to cut a 50 mm dia. hole on the back panel for the cable entry/exit. All the devices are connected to a Belkin 8 socket surge protector. The display is connected to a V-Guard Crystal Plus stabiliser I had sourced last week.

The kitchen:

M6GgE.jpg

Just a basic kitchen with an attached dining area. Pretty small for both the rooms combined but plentiful for the two of us. Have modular shelves with SS304 racks. Storing all the containers, cutlery, plates, rag clothes is a breeze. Notice my 3 year old Samsung netbook atop the fridge that serves me as the download rig. xD

Washing machine pocket and store:

VwLAF.jpg

76Tr5.jpg

A neat little pocket adjacent to the kitchen perfect for washing machine installations equipped with a fresh water connection and drain. Here's where the Bosch machine is installed. The shelf to the immediate right to the w/m pocket stores a big plastic drum where all the soiled clothes are stored until they are cleaned. The store is where we've dumped all the cartons of the equipment and the water cans. That shelf stores all my tools I've been sourcing since my childhood days. :)

The balcony:

2749n.jpg

A small balcony but perfect for those lonely moments to catch some fresh air and a drink. The washed clothes are hung on the clothes line here. Pigeon poop is a big menace at times! The birds take refuge above the outdoor unit of the AC sometimes. The vicinity is cramped with buildings but not without some greenery. And some strange abandoned building in the front!

The common bedroom:

7QvIC.jpg

We head here just for crashing - the only device permitted inside this room is a phone to keep the disturbances to a bare minimum. The AC installation was a mess (that explains the shabby piping!) thanks to the awkwardly shaped indoor unit. Had it been a regular rectangular shaped unit, we could have mounted it above the window. This was the best the Panasonic guys could do. But we are fine with that! This room has the attached balcony.

My room:

fs1y0.jpg

The smallest of all the bedrooms. That is a table from Godrej Interio. Cost me 7200 INR. The previous occupant of the home presumably had his pooja room here which explains those Lord Krishna's footstep stickers on the floor. I did not want to remove them. :)

Roomie's room:

TDzIm.jpg

The master bedroom is this one with an attached bathroom. That's the same table you saw in my room. Oh and I sold my modded MX5021 unit to him so I can keep a close watch as well. He takes good care of his stuff so I wouldn't bother much. This was a good pair of speakers and I had a hard time parting with it but had to let it go since I wanted a pair of small powered bookshelves without a sub on the floor, which shall come soon.

JZfp1.jpg

Makes sense, doesn't it! ;D

C8DZ2.jpg

For a quick round of prayer before we leave for work! :p

Evolution in the last 3 years anyone? Check out the snaps below:

ftoab4.jpg

p1040509z.jpg

5ogCD.jpg

dc89H.jpg

4OtP6.jpg

So that's about it I guess. A place we call home! :)

great...some nice planning and stuff there.
drawing room is great :hail: but how come only one recliner..what if both of you (@Gannu @k1chy) plan to watch a movie same time...who wins :lol:

like the evolution spoiler:).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is EXACTLY how I imagine I will live if I move to another city and have to stay on my own. I can't understand why bachelors can't live neatly and make the house a home like you guys have done. Almost all my friends, who are earning pretty well, stay like refugees.. mattresses on the floor, a pile of shoes in one corner and the kitchen filled up with dirty utensils. It's more comparable to a pig sty rather than a home. I am even scared to sleep over there.

At one of my friend's place, we were sitting on the mattresses on the floor and playing some AOE multiplayer. Suddenly I felt as if a mosquito had bit me. So, I asked him whether there were lot of mosquitoes there. He calmly told me to look at my elbow (where I felt the bite) and if there was a mark, it was a mosquito, otherwise it was a bed bug. I was like :crazy::O:1ign14: (And no, he was not joking). The total monthly income for that house (3 guys staying in a 1 BHK) was 90k. :(

And there is at least one room filled with stuff which they are never going to use. Some of the things that I have found - old bags, clothes, hangers, empty bottles, more shoes, old sheets, magazines, cardboard boxes, broken slippers, suitcases, old shirts.. sigh.

For (most of us :p) people who are working, the entire day goes by putting in our 100 per cent; and trying to keep everyone happy. Who wouldn't love to come back to a place like this and unwind?

I am going to show it to some of my friends who really need to do something about their place.

100 likes to you Gannu (and to you too k1chy). Hope the bachelors at TE at least do something about their frigging place after looking at this thread.

Back