User Review How a dead GFX Card is made alive professionally.

How a dead GFX Card is made alive professionally.

In this article I will show you how a dead graphics card is repaired. No oven baking, no do-it-yourself type trikes, just a pure professional repairs.
Meet the victim, my old no display, dead ATI-Radeon X1650 graphics card.

SI8zWca.jpg

Removing the heat sink.
CLn2O4k.jpg

ut9h8t7.jpg

NhpdqQx.jpg

Thermal compound on the chip cleaned.
9jmUOhY.jpg

Now circuit board is installed on a BGA chip reflow machine.
6tk9uJW.jpg

Heater head mounted properly.
5H3zvqN.jpg

Machine in action
cG0T5Ji.jpg

Within a minute chip is out.
CEt9EJO.jpg

There is very little space between chip and circuit board approx. 0.1mm still you can see their is dust under the chip. This dust, heat and moisture together sometimes oxides and breaks these fine connection resulting a GPU failure.
AWkM6NW.jpg

Chip is mounted on a reballing mount.
NkbxtO0.jpg

You can see many connection pins have gone black due to dust and oxide layer.
mc7vRX6.jpg

Heat cleaning the chip connection terminal.
F7EYxVq.jpg

6uhe1nJ.jpg

WbBtM7P.jpg

ybGFuqj.jpg

Preparing the chip for new BGA soldering balls. Flux, 0.6mm lead free soldering BGA balls and grid.
VBTOEcs.jpg

Some close look on BGA soldering balls
xV5utqN.jpg

S93ofI0.jpg

4G0kjfs.jpg

VlHrz9H.jpg

Grid aliened, chip ready for reballing.
z2zsxPC.jpg

gj3nyLn.jpg

Ball properly falls into place.
y1t0iNc.jpg

All missed holes are carefully populated with a ball using a fine needle.
Nm4WXkd.jpg

Perfect. New shiny ball are in place. Looks nice
FF6uUNP.jpg

yoDPr7a.jpg

Little heat for removal of any excise flux applied during the ball placement stage.
GcnvL5p.jpg

Now chip is carefully placed back on the circuit and controlled heat is applied for re-soldering.
VOL9EOP.jpg

Perfect chip re-soldering
zhcSpwL.jpg

wPLqIj7.jpg

New thermal compound is applied and heat sink installed.
cGABFAM.jpg

D5oAsXv.jpg

Test system ready. Now is the time that will show whether the GPU is back to life or gone forever.
hlghiZY.jpg

It’s live.. Success.
rtekl9T.jpg

kpUJtA2.jpg

Some GTA san andreas run shows that GPU is 100% fine.

Hope you like this article.

Regards
Rakesh Sharma

Source / More Info

Last edited:
I like this article. But how much does the BGA chip reflow machine cost and isn't that BGA ball GRID chip specific ?

I've managed to to do a quick DIY re-flowing :p on an nVidia 8600GT using aluminum foil heat-shield and baking the shielded GFX (only the nVidia chip was left open) in an oven. The GFX ran for 1 more year, and finally it died a few months back.

Last edited:
Mate this is the finest professional repair I have ever seen. Very neat and clean. Great work there. :cool:
Do you personally own that BGA chip reflow machine? Or is that in your workplace etc.?

You can help fellow TEians to get their gfx cards corrected.
Whats harm in trying, right??:joyful:

Shipping to-fro will be born by the user himself and of course the repairs as well. Some testing warranty will be appreciated. :happy:

My mouth was literally open, while I read the first post.

@rakesh_sharma23 : really really nice job. Totally amazing. Have you posted this on guru3d and TPU forums. Or similar boards..?

Nice read. One thing thg, how did you diagnose the problem ? did you test the other components or just try this solution and hope for the best ? It could've been one of many reasons the card showed no display, congrats on getting the paperweight to work thg

Yes first I test for any burned or faulty components in power section , test whole cards SMD Caps for any short circuit, any over heating marks, Than chip is re-soldered, if needed ram chips are also re flowed.

I just wish I was there with you to see how you go about doing stuff... this would've been really interesting to watch !!

Back