OC & Modding How do you Cool your Chips?

Thats what, it needs to be insulated properly by foam or insulating jelly.

And it can technically be 24x7 but not many people use it 24x7.

Its like having a mini A/C on 24x7 so running cost is a concern ;)

Most people you will find using cascade will have multiple systems and use one on cascade and other on air or water, noone likes to run it 24x7. Some people do but those are born rich ;)

yaa as i and funky said the electricity bill will shootup, plus it is louder that a rig on air! so having it running when you sleep........you wont sleep very well!haha

Not really worried about Electricity Bill.

My AC's on the whole day anyways. Almost.

So ill keep the AC off and the Cryo-Z on :bleh:..

What im worried about it that damned compressor.

Dunno if itll run 24/7.

no.... however cool your CPU is, a lo depends on your stepping.

You get a crappy stepping like mine, there is nothing you can do...... On load, temps dont cross 39 deg C. but still, I am not able to go beyoind 2.5Ghz stable.

What's the point of Water cooling in my case??

^^ Yes, and I feel that more than 2.7Ghz on Single-Core AMD's are a waste as they lead to instability and not much more gain..

the_new_guy said:
any body using tec??
Used it long time ago on maze 4 with cold plate on 9800XT.
Almost smoked my 9800XT when my pet accedently toppled the reservoir and that lead smoking ( literally) of TEC, thankfully card survived somehow. I was too busy watching cricket match.
Since that day i havent touched TEC, it blew in spectacular way, my room full of smoke :p

^^ Yes Rahul but I personally don't feel that more 2.7 Ghz 24x7 will add to performance in a huge way.

Maybe if you have a X1900XT/7800GTX and play at 1600x1200 ;)

Edit : What TEC ??

TEC = Thermoelectric cooling device like peltier.

On peltier you have 1 cold side and one hot side, you cool hot side by means if waterblock or heatsink, and that makes other side colder. More effectively you cool the hot side, cooler will be the cold side.

Its dangerous, the hot side generates tremendous heat, and if you cannot remove this heat then something like ^^^ happens.

EDIT: ohh almost forgot, it draws very high current so most of the times you will need seperate PSU to drive peltier.

Yes.

It was going to go Mainstream, but faced millions of problems, thus it was totally left behind. It provided really good cooling though.

And its about the size of the heatspreader :p.

yaa with a tec you can get - temps without the weight or noise of a compressor( thus it is lanparty able, unlike carrying a 50kg phase change rig)

Back