How does steering wheel use in games (eg: Logitech G29/923) compare to actual car driving in real life?

Ssreek

Adept
Basically, the title. People who have played games like Euro Truck Sim, Forza, Assetto Corsa, etc., how is this experience compared to actually driving a car in real life?

I've seen Maruti driving school uses such sim kind of system to initially teach learners some basics. I am guessing this should be close to any of the steering wheels currently we have for gaming.

Of course, real life will have different variables like traffic, real accidents, no respawn, traffic challans etc. But I am only talking about driving experience only.

Are these sim steering wheels any useful for learning real-life driving?

Edit: Especially about getting used to manual gear shift, clutch, and brake controls.

Last edited:
I believe how well simulated it is matters most; in this regard the software plays as important of a role as the hardware itself.

I remember sharing this -

in a similar(generalized) discussion on Team-BHP - Influence of video games on driving, which I'll link here.

Experience is good but like only 50-60% realistic. Learning basics can be done for sure.
Learning driving, no! That needs IRL experience and environment.

Source: I have G29 and played all the games you listed + more.

It purely depends on how much you spend. The entry level ones will give you a good experience but not the real feel. If you spend on really high end stuff from Fanatic and the likes, those will get you pretty damn close. In fact, F1 drivers practice on these kind of rigs. Also, you get rigs where the whole thing moves, which adds to the immersion.

I have Logitech G29 with a manual gear attachment. It helped a lot for my wife in understanding and applying gears. This was while she was going to driving school. It also helped her to understand the angle at which she can turn at 90 degree turns (intersections for example). The simulation that we used was 'City Car Driving'. Available on Steam.

In fact, F1 drivers practice on these kind of rigs.
Even pilots train in such simulators.

But most softwares/games that are accessible to us are designed for fun & thrill, which often means a bloated sense of speed & diminished sense of risk. So, while (some)simulators are a good tool to just learn how to drive, how to drive in public, in traffic, following rules & etiquette still require on-road experience.

It purely depends on how much you spend. The entry level ones will give you a good experience but not the real feel. If you spend on really high end stuff from Fanatic and the likes, those will get you pretty damn close. In fact, F1 drivers practice on these kind of rigs. Also, you get rigs where the whole thing moves, which adds to the immersion.
The F1 simulators are an extremely closed loop system. They co-relate everything with real-life feedback over a short distance, laser mapped tracks, with actuators tuned to provide the exact chassis feedback, force feedback to the wheels and lots of constantly tuned models to replicate setup and tyre wear effects. They still cannot replicate the g-force though.

Unless you have $2-3 million to somewhat replicate what F1 teams use, it is pointless to think about how good your sim setup is.

Playing with a generic setup in front of a flat screen is probably only useful for the fundamentals of steering and braking. At the end of the day, it is set up for entertainment.

When I had one, I was frustrated as to how different games implemented steering wheel support which gave vastly different experiences of riding the same car. If someone is serious about a setup, they would probably set it up for a specific sim. Otherwise, if you are just gaming, it doesn't matter much as you are just trying to adjust to each game's interpretation of controls.

There always seems to be more understeer in a sim with a wheel than in real life. I use a G27 wheel.

Is it me or does everyone feel the same?

I have Logitech G29 with a manual gear attachment. It helped a lot for my wife in understanding and applying gears. This was while she was going to driving school. It also helped her to understand the angle at which she can turn at 90 degree turns (intersections for example). The simulation that we used was 'City Car Driving'. Available on Steam.
This is the main thing I was interested to know. Controls, developing muscle memory for gear shifting and handling CBA.

This is the main thing I was interested to know. Controls, developing muscle memory for gear shifting and handling CBA.
Steering cannot be learned using these games. Only to get idea of how a wheel feedback behaves even that varies a LOT. It's nothing like a real everyday car. It's purposefully heavy (to simulate sports/super cars) and very small overall in size.
Gears and pedals? Yes.

Steering cannot be learned using these games. Only to get idea of how a wheel feedback behaves even that varies a LOT. Gears and pedals? Yes
I agree to the steering point, even though I have a little understanding of this. Steering is better learnt in real life scenario only.

Steering is better learnt in real life scenario only.
That's because each car requires a different amount of force for the steering wheel to be rotated say 90°.
For e.g.:
  • Certain cars from Toyotas, Hyundai, Maruti, etc usually have lighter (electric) steering to make it easier for newcomers/city driving
  • "Drivers' cars" usually have heavier steering weight which offers more feedback about the road at the cost of added effort to physically turn the wheel
  • More expensive cars allow you to change presets to change the amount of electric steering assist you get, depending on the driving conditions.
At 100% Force Feedback Strength on the G29, it feels heavier than any car I have driven in real life. The reason more expensive direct drive wheels which can require even more force to turn exist is because simulation is not reality. In a real car:
  • The wheel weight varies depending on speed and road conditions
  • The car body rolls more the harder you turn
  • If one of your wheel runs over a pebble, you "feel" and hear it
  • You slide back/front in the seat when you accelerate/brake, and the car pitches accordingly
  • Transferring weight towards the front will give you more grip on the front tyres and allow you to turn better. This is something everyone does at least subconsciously IRL: just lifting your foot off the throttle is enough for this.
Basically you are fed all this info and more in a real car. And except the FFB steering weight, everything else is missing in a simulator. Motion simulators can replicate only a fraction of the in car forces you would feel.

Are these sim steering wheels any useful for learning real-life driving?
It is good for learning good practises in a safe sandbox. But you don't really need a FFB for that. In fact I practised on a non-FFB wheel the evening before I had my DL test. It certainly helps.
Edit: Especially about getting used to manual gear shift, clutch, and brake controls.
A real car will give real feedback on the clutch's bite point and the non-linear nature of the brake pedal: you can feel when the clutch/brake is starting to bite. I would say it's easier to learn steering virtually, and shifting gears IRL. Remember, the game's clutch bite point may not match your actual car's, so some re-learning has to happen.
Driver ergonomics: car makers spend a lot of money on getting the position of seat, pedals and wheel to be comfortable for long hours. This is very hard to replicate at home without a simrig. You push on the G29's brake pedal and your chair will either roll/tilt back.

But once you've learnt the basics IRL, it becomes easier to improve and correct mistakes via sims. Where sims truly excel is in improving your reflexes. This is the main reason pro racers practise in sims: to maintain their state of prowess. You can find many accounts from simracers that narrowly avoided accidents IRL purely from the quicker reflexes that simracing helped develop.

TLDR: a real car will always feel better than the most expensive simracing stuff you can buy. It's not how the steering wheel alone feels: it's about what the entire car is doing and what your whole body feels. Taking hairpins IRL is actually easier since you can turn your head and look out the window to see the road ahead, whereas in game you need VR or headtracking. In this regard, simracing can actually be detrimental to learning IRL driving since it conditions you to looking straight out of the window instead of looking around and checking your blindspots before turning.

Last edited:
I think the movie gran turismo should help you in understanding SIM Vs real life .

It showed how a SIM driver made it to real life driving. He made it possible post a lot of practice.

Real life experience is completely different.

Back