How harmful is a cellular tower near your residence?

sky

Disciple
Hi,

My parents just moved from old home to new home, sooner we join them too. During exploring the nearby area I found that there is one cellular tower built up on top of a nearby home. I heard sometime back that staying nearby such location cause health problems specially cancer. If this is the case then govt should not allow to setup tower in between residential areas specially in sector.

Does anyone have any idea about it?
What kind of actions can be taken to get rid of that?

With the enormous and dense population of this country, you cannot really find any open place to put a mobile tower. It is always going to be somewhere near someone' s home/building. One needs to probably live with it.
Not sure how they do in US, but either i never bothered much to check or what, i never saw any mobile tower.

Ban mobile phones. Use landline only. /s
That is the best option but you cannot force others. :(
Old were the days when people carry one mobile phone, it is now matter of pride that how much do you carry and how big they are.[DOUBLEPOST=1378446003][/DOUBLEPOST]
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
:) True, but these are not killing instantly, otherwise all problem solved :p. It is slow poison which is more dangerous

Anyway, the answer to @OP's question is, yes you are right about what you heard. But there are no way you can restrict them or something.
And if you think carefully, in the other hand we ourselves wants a tower to be near our home when we don't get good 2G / 3G Speeds.

They (Companies) pay the society / house for keeping tower on their roof, also inspection officers are bribed to write "Ok" on the location. And anywhere you move, you'll see a tower within 1KM Radius anyway.

Hi,
My parents just moved from old home to new home, sooner we join them too. During exploring the nearby area I found that there is one cellular tower built up on top of a nearby home. I heard sometime back that staying nearby such location cause health problems specially cancer. If this is the case then govt should not allow to setup tower in between residential areas specially in sector.

Had read few articles about this in Pune Mirror few years back. There were details given on how the journalists surveyed the towers and which equipments they used for checking the level/intensity of the signal waves. There is a certain level below which the waves are considered as 'not harmful' but I dont remember any details. You can take this as a pointer and start searching for
1)What are the norms in signal strength or how those readings are taken and what they mean.
2)Which instrument can help you to capture the readings and where you can buy them.

Maybe then based on your findings you can approach the company which installed the tower to reduce the signal strength.

Some parallel info:
1)No operator owns / maintains the tower themselves. They outsource this to vendors. Why U ask?? There are tons of valid reasons for doing that but thats not the core topic here.
2)In certain dense areas for the signal to pass across multiple buildings it may happen that the tower's signal gain is increased more than what it should be normally. This is a very common scenario in cities. If that is the case with tower near your home... you can always inform the tower company of legal consequences or also educate the society which has permitted the towers to be installed in their premises.

Hope this helps to start somewhere

I am talking in just layman terms that if there is tower next to your house then obviously you are living in maximum strength signal circle. Even if I get some device to capture the reading but question is what next?
It is not any society, it is a banglow in one of the sector in Gurgaon. I don't know why other people in the sector community have not put objection. Also heard that one of the person in the same banglow is suffering from cancer still no actions by taken sector people or even by owner (he must be getting many bundles every month).

Does signal jammer help in such cases?
Will I do some illegal (or back fire) action by putting in my house? (afraid if cellular company file case aganist me by saying loss in business). You know these guys can do anything.

I'm at 3rd floor of 6 storage apt having 3 towers on roof!:eek:. ..tempting always this like hell..:rage:. not enough courage to tell anything to renter in lac of law on the land of biggest democratic country:banghead:

One of tentant just vaccanted home at 4th floor following Dr advice while consulted for his new born baby health problem!

As I already said above, you can't do anything. Believe this ASAP. Those vendors or companies pay huge amount annually to the building where they place the tower. So believe me there practically nothing you can do.

Police and all, will never listen, as they are also bribed, the inspection officers and all everyone is bribed to write OK on papers.

So better you start adjusting and forget the matter.

One of tentant just vaccanted home at 4th floor following Dr advice while consulted for his new born baby health problem!
Tenants have the option but not who owns house or who build one house with hard earned money which cost all savings till retirement plus remaining amount paid in EMI by second generation. :banghead:

So better you start adjusting and forget the matter.

Adjust to what..? Slow death..?
Although i havent read too much on the topic of hazards a mobile phone tower brings forth, but as people are saying it's a hazard for sure.. Is this the best kind of advice you can provide??

I am sure you never tried anything on the matter or researched. Maybe you have never had to. But telling and accepting such things is definitely what we need to start saying no to. No offense, but if you cannot suggest any counter measures, it is better you dont 'advice' on forgetting such serious issues.

Adjust to what..? Slow death..?
Although i havent read too much on the topic of hazards a mobile phone tower brings forth, but as people are saying it's a hazard for sure.. Is this the best kind of advice you can provide??

I am sure you never tried anything on the matter or researched. Maybe you have never had to. But telling such things is definitely what we need to start saying no to. No offense, but if you cannot suggest any counter measures, it is better you dont 'advice' on forgetting such serious issues.

Yeah it's hazard for sure. I know that. But you got me wrong. That's not what I meant.

Until and unless the whole colony / society one single people can't do much. No I never tried anything as there's no tower in our colony, but there is an tower next to our colony and practically we can't do anything.

As I said, they pay the houseowner a huge amount. So if he's considering the fact, generally one people from his colony can't change anything as long as the whole colony doesn't oppose.

I never meant to like adjust it and die gradually and let your offsprings die gradually too. But as long as the whole colony doesn't oppose you as a single person won't be able to do anything specially in India.

Hope you understand what I mean to say.

There is no conclusive evidence relating any ailment including cancer and "mobile radiation". Most of the hysteria is by and large unwarranted as far as current evidence is concerned. If the tower is at a decent distance (around 100m (as per a french standard)) then you shouldn't have any worries.

The basic idea is this - It could be bad, but we will need to wait for another 5-6 years to asses the mid-term and then another 10-15 years for the long term effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_radiation_and_health

Hope you understand what I mean to say.

Yes. Much clear now. Glad you did so.

But, as it has been made clear that even Cancer is a risk involved here, what more is required for people to stand up and forcefully talk business with concerned RWA/Authority? They too have families and they will respond in some capacity.
I am sure some kinda concerted effort can be made to first educate the citizens. People pay for the RWA charges, surely they can manage a monthly/weekly circular to mention about this topic and repeatedly at that.

Thing is, nobody in India tries to raise voice. It's regularly been like keep your head down or be shot. But at the same time people bombarded an ISP for providing better speeds. A man went ahead to BSNL asking them to open up the upload speed as his work was getting hampered. So it boils down to this, that for internet, we have a spine.. but not for such issues.
And then people will suggest to leave the country because nothing happens here.

I don't know why most of the people don't take it seriously enough...may be lack of actual awareness. So generally it is very difficult to form consensus to raise voice in such situation.
-----------

What an irony.... we are the users and the victim at the same time.

I am more worried about new baby who will arrive by end of this year. I will be shifting to Gurgaon in 1-2 months to our home. There is no point in staying as tenant when you already own a house and paying EMI for it. The culture we are molding in slowing we don't even care what is happening in our next house so I am afraid that even if start talking to those people, tell them about the hazards, how many will even listen or act on it.

If signal jammers cannot help then left only with above (almost negligible) option.

I am more worried about new baby who will arrive by end of this year...

There is no point in staying as tenant when you already own a house and paying EMI for it. The culture we are molding in slowing we don't even care what is happening in our next house so I am afraid that even if start talking to those people, tell them about the hazards, how many will even listen or act on it.
If signal jammers cannot help then left only with above (almost negligible) option.

You cant have your cake and eat it too.
If you are fine submitting to the 'norms' without even making an effort.. Then you have ingrained the culture already.

Back