Audio How is Sony SRS-D9 2.1 speakers in comparison with Logitech Z623 2.1 THX Speakers

the first & foremost caution to be exercised on olx/quikr - deal only within your city-limits! rest follow.

the first & foremost caution to be exercised on olx/quikr - deal only within your city-limits! rest follow.
And pay when you see the product . My friend payed thinking he is buying ipod 3g but it was actually 1g model :) But he got his money back since he knew the sellers address !
Anyways OP just avoid buying used old audio products especially speakers .

As for speakers, I will not buy from olx like sites.
I had bad experience dealing with a seller through olx, even after being from same city.
It was for a printer for which seller told refilling is easily possible and gave me the shop address (The printer itself was one polished old cow, but that doesn't count as it was my fault that I didn't check it well). I did not double check with the shop before purchasing printer, later found refilling is not possible for that range of printers. Seller was acting dumb and I had to stop wasting time following up with him.

For me, being from rural area, there is no shop where one can go and check performance of these speakers before buying. I will have to opt with flipkart / snapdeal which I don't want to do for speakers. Will find need to find a way out.

Taking into consideration all this things let Me clear ur doubt by comparting Sony's SRS D9 and Logitech's Z623,

Total Sound Output (RMS) i.e. Satelite + Woofer.
Sony : 60W
Logitech : 200W

Sound Output of Satelite :
Sony : 30W i.e. 15W + 15W (2 Speakers)
Logiech : 80W i.e. 40W + 40W (2 Speakers)

Sound Output of Sub-Woofer :
Sony : 30W
Logitech : 80W

so if u add up this,
Sony = 15W + 15W + 30W = 60W
Logitech = 40W + 40W + 80W = 200W

So Logitech Z623 2.1 THX speakers is best.

Apart from nonsense in the numbers you have posted, this is just so wrong.

When you post advice, please ensure you know the subject matter at hand. Otherwise please refrain from 'clearing doubts' and giving horrible advice.

A manufacturer-quoted power specification of the amplifier in a speaker system has nothing to do with the quality of the output, how loud it will be, whether it will play clean and without distortion. You have no idea of the drivers used, how it performs in the real world. One has to see your track record on CPUs, on power supplies, and now on speakers, and wonder where you get your misinformation from and then spread it as reasonable advice. It is not wrong to have your opinion, but don't quote it as gospel truth. First of all, it is technically incorrect.

Second, how can you compare two items, of any kind, with such a massive disparity in price? They are meant for different segments and are bound to be different from each other. Frankly, I bet both sound ordinary - the Logitech being twice the price should sound a little better, though not twice as good. From what I have heard of Logitech's 'flagship' speakers, I have no hopes from anything in their product lineup. If you are spending that kind of money, get the JBL Control 1 and a small T-amplifier, or the m-Audio AV40. These are a little more than requested budget, but are much better for music.

Or, get some good headphones. It is not possible to make a reasonable sounding set of speakers under 20k, which performs well for music. To understand this figure, you have to understand that the cost of the speaker itself - all components and labour - is about 30% of the final selling price in commercial terms. Rest goes to marketing, packaging, supply chain and profits. So a 7.5k speaker costs about 2.5k to make, and you can imagine what they put in it.

@
cranky No Offence but I cant remember any company making less then 10% profit on their products . Take for example Apple , manufacturing cost of iphone 5s is around 199$ and look at what apple is charging for it , that does not mean its a bad product . Also can you post the source where it said that manufacturing cost of the mentioned speakers is 2.5k .
I have a 10lackh verna car but my Boss's BMW 3 series costs 30 lackhs but it doesnt mean it is thrice better then mine ! We get what we pay for .
I agree price difference between the speakers is double but there is a noticeable difference in audio outputs ( I used both , can post links of this forum itself for proof )
For the size of OP's room he can choose any but once if you listen to Z623 you wont like the later since he needs speakers for music as well as movies and gaming and TV. Also the dedicated AMP+ speaker setup is not advisable in this budget .

Slow down and read my post, very slowly. You're simply saying exactly what I am.

1. That profit margins and other costs mean that the actual product is worth much less - my quote is 30% yours is 90% - I can tell you that 90% is not a realistic cost. When I say cost, I mean cost to manufacture. On these speakers do you want to look at Logitech's books? If not, here is a breakdown for their 'flagship' the Z5500:

You need a calculator and some quick checks on quantity pricing, plus a reasonable knowledge of what's what. $100 worth of drivers, boxes and parts in a $299 speaker. There is no logic for reducing margins on lower cost products as the fixed cost remains the same. If not 30, definitely not more than 40. Chain margins, marketing and distribution suck down about 50% of the cost.

Here is the Logisucks video for the 623 -

2. That the Logitech in this thread might indeed sound better than the Sony, but not twice as good. I do acknowledge that many will be happy with it, and that going by the way this market is developing, there's room for all sorts of questionable products. Understand that computer speakers, specially bin-boxes with boomy subwoofers crossed over high will never, ever sound good. Never.

It costs money to make a decent product. To the question of cars, all of them get you from Point A to Point B. The experience however, is remarkably different. The big question is the importance of that experience to that buyer. Using that same category as an analogy, would you compare the BMW to the Verna? Why would you do that? They are not going to be on any sane shopping list together.

Finally on the budget. Frankly, everything under 10k is a washout. I've haven't heard one speaker system under 20k that I can even recommend, so good luck with that. The way costs have spiralled over the last few years, manufacturers are cutting so many corners in their products that it's just not funny anymore. A set of speakers that cost 10k five years ago, costs twice that. What do you think is left at the bottom of the barrel? Why do you think good speakers have escalated in price? Because costs have. For cheaper speakers, what are they doing to keep prices down? I'll give you a hint, they're not cutting back on margins, or on marketing. They're simply castrating products.

Good Luck with the search.

Last edited:
Well i dont know what to say , but if OP can shell out 7k , then get the Z623 . For allround performance including music , movies and gaming .
Offtopic ,
I am not an audiophile , but like what i hear . Sound is subjective .My setup includes cheap PC speakers to mid range hifi speakers . Not everyone can afford fullblown stereo setups , in my opinion PC active speakers are doing a good job for the budget conscious .
BTW my setup includes ( had created a thread with pics few months back in showoff section )
Logitech Z623 , denon 1612 ,Polk audio Tsi 400 floorstanders , Polk audio psw505 , wharfedale diamond surround .
Pic includes logitech Z623 , see the satellites hidden behind the statues . These speakers were doing a great job before i could go HIFI

Attachments

• 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
My budget is limited around 8K, so looking for best product in that range. Of course, there are other great products available at much higher prices, but I will not go over budget.

I have a 10lackh verna car but my Boss's BMW 3 series costs 30 lackhs but it doesnt mean it is thrice better then mine !

Err, IMO, a 30-lakh 3-series is not thrice as good as a 10-lakh verna, it's at least five times as good ! So it's actually better VFM then right?

This thread is great entertainment indeed!

Err, IMO, a 30-lakh 3-series is not thrice as good as a 10-lakh verna, it's at least five times as good ! So it's actually better VFM then right?

This thread is great entertainment indeed!

well, i disagree - depends on your definition of VALUE - and why you say it's FIVE times as good - care to elaborate?
your comment is definitely upping the EQ!!

it's at least five times as good ! So it's actually better VFM then right?
!
VFM , Man are you serious ! You are making me laugh !
We need another thread for this . I am owner of verna from past 19 months ( had a show off thread , search for it ) and my cousin has 3 series ( old version ) for past 3 years hence commented .
^^ BTW rajshah congrtats for the new speakers . Yesterday i added new floorstanding speakers to my collection ie. Sonodyne sonus 2605 used one .

No coupon codes are working for me, right now trying random codes from net. Don't know why ebay stopped sending me coupon codes, they are afraid I will really those.

Anyways, booked from the same guy at 7249/-, thanks...

Last edited:
well, i disagree - depends on your definition of VALUE - and why you say it's FIVE times as good - care to elaborate?
your comment is definitely upping the EQ!!
It was a joke. And to show that personal opinion, especially comparing onions and cucumber like @cranky mentioned earlier, is pointless. This thread started out something like sony vs logitech, and came down to verna vs 3-series! What next, bajaj auto rickshaw vs 737? both get you from place to place right? :p

And @rohan_mhtr is it your boss' car or your cousin's ? make up your mind and let us know...

And @rohan_mhtr is it your boss' car or your cousin's ? make up your mind and let us know...
I guess you can read properly right ! And i knew it was a joke , just making my point . BTW if you got time ( I dont ) just search through this forum under my posts and you will find them all , be it verna , BMW or the Z623's . I wont post again in this thread because these all posts are irrelevant to OP .[DOUBLEPOST=1387114985][/DOUBLEPOST]
It was a joke. And to show that personal opinion, especially comparing onions and cucumber like @cranky This thread started out something like sony vs logitech, and came down to verna vs 3-series! What next, bajaj auto rickshaw vs 737? both get you from place to place right? :p
It was you who made this a auto thread , I was just giving an example .

Last edited:
Back