How social media birthed a strange new phenomenon in India, the bhakts

Screenshot_2015-08-01-13-14-03.png
IMG_20150801_132059283.jpg
^^
What are we to make of that..?
Newspapers have different priorities to sell. There were three funerals that day. We all saw what made to the front page and what got lost.

Social media didn't had to sell anything. It spoke it mind to support kalam and the sp of gurdaspur.

It also did expose the yakub sympathizers.

Last edited:
View attachment 58872 View attachment 58874
Newspapers have different priorities to sell. There were three funerals that day. We all saw what made to the front page and what got lost.

Social media didn't had to sell anything. It spoke it mind to support kalam and the sp of gurdaspur.

It also did expose the yakub sympathizers.

Read the original article by Pratap Bhanu Mehta. His issue with social media was not with the difference of opinion about the hanging in social media but rather this:

"But social media managed to create the postmodern equivalent of a medieval lynch mob, an almost cowardly but Talibanesque hounding of anyone who disagreed with the hanging."

The article you shared twisted the above into this:

"Pratap Bhanu Mehta, writing in the Indian Express, has expressed his contemptuous disgust at those who express their views in social media. "

And then goes on to Hound the author, repeating the same thing over and over again. It was more like a paid review to prove Mr. Mehta's point right.

Ofcourse Bhakts will read the same articles and tell a whole different story. This might be the reason that Chetan Bhagat inferred that they have poor ability in English. :p

some of the idiocy on display is surprising since they're supposedly literate & should be able to read. but i guess literacy is not equal to intelligence

on SM everyone who doesnt agree with an anti-govt/bjp view are immediately labelled bhakts. there are dolts on both sides & the stupidity of some on 1 side are only superseded by the stupidity on the other. i'll probably be labelled a "bhakt" for what i'm about to say but here goes..

i am not a bjp fan but the way congress has messed up things (esp in last 10 years) it's a case of anything-but. i had hopes from aap but atm they seem more like a comedy collective than a political party. atm, bjp are the proverbial 1-eyed-man & it seems like if they fail we're doomed. but anyone expecting for some magic turnaround, even in say 5 years after 60 years of misrule (most of it by 1 party, mind) let alone 1 year, especially in a country like ours, is a fool

i am an avid newspaper reader & at one time i would (very naively, i might add) take everything printed in them as fact but the quality of journalism has fallen so much that i wouldnt be surprised if journalists are one of the most reviled professions amongst the pillars of democracy. its become so bad that even some news reports read more like op-eds & everything is colored by an agenda

unfortunately it seems that everyone in MSM has an agenda (most of it pseudo-secular) & some of the sheep just eat up whatever is thrown their way without any critical thinking for themselves.

for eg. people here have mentioned the amit shah quote where it was reported on front pages in bold that he said achche din will take 20 years or whatever but only a days later it was clarified that he was talking about it taking it that long for india to become one of the best nations in the world. ofc the clarification was buried in small print. but that initial narrative got legs amongst the anti-bhakts & the initial report will be held up as fact

for eg. 2 funerals were held on the same day but if you went by the reactions in MSM it would seem that memon was a beloved president & not mr kalam. such a narrative was built that it would seem a nobel peace price winner was about to be hanged. all that talk of undue haste, this after 22 years & countless appeals/pleas! why did memon's lawyers never bring up the supposed "deal" that he had made. maybe because it was fiction? the judiciary is one of the few pillars that gets most things right in this country & even that was seeming to be undermined by some quarters. there was so much coverage to memon's family but almost none whatsoever to the families of the victims

for eg. someone has posted images of tweets some of which is plain anti-national (& some others could be considered so) by people in congress/aap but has been replied to with images of idiotic/abusive tweets by random people who arent in bjp

for eg. some are talking about the selfiewithdaughter issue as if modi only came up with that idea & is the only thing that he's doing in that regard (ie only twitter pr campaigns no real world work). so what then is 'beti bachao beti padhao' & 'sukanya samridhi account'. can't there be 2 pronged approaches i.e PR & real world work or are they mutually exclusive?? in todays world marketing/pr can also have an effect. it's like saying why is aamir khan doing those atithi devo bhava ads, it's only talk, if he really wants to do something he should stand on the street & help tourists.

a tv dolt criticizes modi on idiotic grounds & is abused by some other dolts but she is ready with her "woman card" forgetting that these "bhakts" are equal opportunity offenders who abuse others who dont agree with their views irrespective of caste/creed/gender/species. you ask for equal treatment on one hand but are ever ready to play the "because-i-am-a-woman card" or the "because-i-am-a-[insert appropriate minority here] card". it's quite tiring really. no, you're being abused because you're an idiot & unfortunately you cant play the "because-i-am-a-idiot card" since that group's not a minority, unfortunately. & its not like the anti-bhakts are any less abusive or vitriolic or sensitive to criticism

so maybe some critical thinking for yourself will be in order instead of parroting what others from your side of the divide are saying. or better yet try to not be part of any divide

Have read innumerable counts of mischief mongering by the elite journalist who have had their "sources" giving them cooked up stories only having to track back later with a small apology in some corner of the news paper.

Have seen how people connect dots of asaram with modi because subu swamy was his lawyer.

Now that Salman khursheed is his lawyer does that mean asaram is from Congress?

IIRC the terminology of "bhakts" is used predominantly by those heavy weights in media who have failed to create a narrative because their cooked up stories got rebuttal in the social media by those "bhakts".

In the late 90s unemployed (rather not worthy of employment) youth used to hangout around corner Pan-shops ; used to support a political party and behaved like Bhakts. Used to tease passing girls, pass lewd comments as a pass time. Like dogs, their areas & girls of their areas were divided. Used to flex muscles against members of other party, other areas etc.

In current era, they're hanging out in various social media portals & doing the same. They're skillfully employed by various PR agencies and paid to support their point of view. What's right or wrong, what's Sane What's Insane hardly matters them. The number of likes, retweets & shares are paid accordingly. If you have to witness the worst kind of Bhakts visit ibnlive etc and read comments.

There's another model, you won't get daily wage workers during a large political rallies. Even class 4 workers take leave & attend them. Reasons? The daily wage workers earn anything between 100-200 Rs for 8hr work. The political rally crowds are paid Rs 200 + Biryaani + transportation, and a quarter liquor at night. These are the same people who will sell their votes later.

I personally don't find any difference between panshop gang, social media Bhakts & political rally crowds. Time changes , mode of operation changes but the filthy mentality prevails.

Does Chetan Bhagat really deserve this much attention? Tried reading some of his work. The guy is insufferable.

Want to read indian writers? Try Salman Rushdie or V S Naipaul.

As for trying to shame people by calling them names, no one cares. No one will change his/her beliefs because of some petty name calling. He can try to change my beliefs, how can he change my experience?

What advice does Chetan Bhagat have for the thousands of infidel Yizdi women who were raped by our 'faithful' friends? Or for the families of those hundreds of people who were killed by the likes of Mr Yakub?

Politics is about survival. People are fighting to save India, the only home most of us have (we didn't get the option to choose a country in 1947). No matter what the 'liberals' say, people have seen how one extremist cult has destroyed two countries in our neighborhood (and many in far away regions) and they are now targeting ours.

Last edited:
Politics is about survival. People are fighting to save India, the only home most of us have (we didn't get the option to choose a country in 1947). No matter what the 'liberals' say, people have seen how one extremist cult has destroyed two countries in our neighborhood (and many in far away regions) and they are now targeting ours.

Which cult..?

Does Chetan Bhagat really deserve this much attention? Tried reading some of his work. The guy is insufferable.

Want to read indian writers? Try Salman Rushdie or V S Naipaul.

As for trying to shame people by calling them names, no one cares. No one will change his/her beliefs because of some petty name calling. He can try to change my beliefs, how can he change my experience?

What advice does Chetan Bhagat have for the thousands of infidel Yizdi women who were raped by our 'faithful' friends? Or for the families of those hundreds of people who were killed by the likes of Mr Yakub?

Chetan Bhagat is lucky enough not to have met a proper Critic. He's novels are much like 200cr movies ; Very popular but lack substance. His self obsession is quite irritating in many of his novels.

Irrelevant for the topic at hand. Attack the message, not messenger please.

Chetan Bhagat is lucky enough not to have met a proper Critic. He's novels are much like 200cr movies ; Very popular but lack substance. His self obsession is quite irritating in many of his novels.
Very true. But they sell like hot cakes. They cater to different audience. But we are diverting from topic here.

I will probably not blame him. He is simply an example of the mediocrity that occupies the public space in India. If people have problems with the grunt like statements of bhakts, they should compare it with the long-winded writings of intellectuals like Sitaram Yechuri or Mani Shankar Iyer (or Shobha De or Karan Thapar or Sagarika Bose). If one reads closely, both sides are fighting to shut the other side up.

One of them doesn't waste other's time. I have no problems picking sides.

Yes, thats why it's irrelevant. You want to attack the argument not the person.
Not the person per se but his thought process.

He is known to constantly flip sides in his bid to appear neutral /or to be in good terms with the influential section of the media.

Not the person per se but his thought process.
You can always do that with his arguments too. Who says is irrelevant. He is not talking about authors or books etc. He is merely posting his opinion as a person.

Again, attack the message not the messenger.

Back