Laptops How to buy Dell Laptop without preinstalled Vista

Hacker said:
Sue???? if you dont like it, dont buy it, its as simple as that.

Its not simple decision to put some other OS on the laptop/desktop. They have to change their business process, train their support staff and many more things

Huh I want a laptop but I am forced to buy WIndows :| How it is simple.. Why I pay extra bucks for the thing I don't need .. But I need a Laptop and no WIndows. :| How about this. You are forced to do things that you don't want to ? :S

Ye EU has banned MS activities and has steeped forward with Open Source.

It seems you didn't know Dell has Ubuntu preloaded in their Laptops so as acer,IBM/Lenovo, Hp and others provide Linux based PC's/Lappys .. But the bad thing none of them are available in India :mad: http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

In US they have released XPS M1330 and other models with Ubuntu..u can surely order that from US if you have someone coming from there.

Hey Dark_Star...am planning to buy a Studio 15..ne news when they gonna offer ubuntu with Studio 15 here in India???

well ,window$ tax is what you should call it! :( BTW ,I too am a GNU/Linux only user for few years now :) go on!

..atleast laptops should stop bundling Vista.well ,ppl likes window$ too much and dont care for the ethical reasons...we are not living in a sane world...

cyneuron said:
what do you guys think :

will this work :

Linux.com :: How to get a Windows tax refund

I haven't seen this happening with Dell India atleast. i personally tried once with HP, no results yet. IMO, it takes too much time & effort with a little gain. i would rather spend that time in doing something productive

they just refund around 2k after 4-5months of effort not worth it.:|

maybe you can dual boot the system, not a best thing but since there is no other choice, what can we do :(

b00gieMan said:
In US they have released XPS M1330 and other models with Ubuntu..u can surely order that from US if you have someone coming from there.

Hey Dark_Star...am planning to buy a Studio 15..ne news when they gonna offer ubuntu with Studio 15 here in India???

Dell has yet released Studio Series with Ubuntu :\ Though installing won't be any trouble..

Dell is selling with Dos in retail. Checked out today at Dell dealer in Delhi. But prices he was telling were too high. But you can bargain if you are serious.
Price quoted was 40K.
C2D 5750
2GB ram
160 GB HDD
DVD writer etc etc.

I think its not possible ship without os now.You may get some vostro series with xp.But it is not possible for inspiron,studio & xps laptops.

rarerave fyi..they have released Inspiron 1525 and XPS 1330 with Ubuntu Hardy (8.04).

They're gonna release Studio 15 and XPS 1530 with the same Ubuntu in the early August (1st week).

rareravi said:
I think its not possible ship without os now.You may get some vostro series with xp.But it is not possible for inspiron,studio & xps laptops.

And yes..Inspiron and XPS M1330 with Ubuntu is released in US..no news in India as yet.

Also Studio 15 and XPS M1530 is gonna be released in US with Ubuntu.

b00gieMan said:
rarerave fyi..they have released Inspiron 1525 and XPS 1330 with Ubuntu Hardy (8.04).

They're gonna release Studio 15 and XPS 1530 with the same Ubuntu in the early August (1st week).

I just hope they start giving choices online too. Not a linux user but I sure would like a lappy with XP :) instead of Vista. Fat chance of that that though...

I have checked out only Inspirion 1525 but they have complete range. Just call/ visit CE/ challenger or any other good dealer; everyone is selling Dell.

Back