Storage Solutions How to check a dead SSD for warranty?

buzz88

Disciple
So, I sold a 1TB Crucial P1 SSD which is in warranty.

It was at 100% health, I used it daily, my downloads and games were on it. I used Crucial Storage Executive to secure erase it.
I then formatted it as a new drive. Checked if everything was working as it should by copying a movie and then deleting it.

Shipped it to the buyer. After the buyer got it, they said it was working well and we closed the deal by exchanging feedback.

After two days, they got back in touch with me and said their PC crashed and won't boot if the SSD is inserted.
I found it very strange as to why would the PC won't boot if the extra SSD (which the windows is not using to boot) is corrupted or has any other issue.

I agreed to take it back as it's still in warranty, thinking I can get it RMAed. Now, they have shipped it back and by all appearances, it looks like the same SSD that i had shipped out.
But upon installing it in my PC, the PC just doesn't show it in either DISK Management or in bios. I tried to reseat/reinsert it multiple times, used motherboard M.2 slot and then my NVMe USB connector both, but to no avail.
It's as if the PC doesn't see anything in the slot.

Has anyone encountered such an issue before? Will Crucial honour the warranty in its current state? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

I've had a couple of m.2 SSDs die in recent weeks, I suspect it's due to dust inside the m.2 slot which can become conductive and cause short circuits somewhere on the SSD.

Either that, or it's ESD related since the drives died only when swapping between systems. It's happened to both PCIe and SATA m.2 drives.

Crucial RMA is typically handled by Kaizen. Normally, they do not do any testing but they do ask what the fault is so in your case you could say it's not detected in bios or windows.

Back