User Guides How to get Cyanogenmod 7 (Gingerbread) on Motorola Defy ....

Hi people,

Some of you might be aware that "Quarx" at xda-developers is working on a gingerbread ROM for Defy. The procedure that is listed on his original thread was somewhat confusing and it's a little difficult to find information about common problems and mistakes. Following is the procedure I used to install Cyanogen Mod7 on my Motorola Defy... I hope it is useful to fellow members who are still on Eclair :S:S and praying that Motorola releases Froyo soon :p:p...

Some IMPORTANT things before you start:

1. Always start the procedures with at least 70% to full charge

2. If you want to make a backup of your apk's, There's a lot of programs to do that (File Explorer, AndroZip, AppMonster, etc.). If you want to backup your configurations too, use Titanium Backup.

How to install CM7 Beta 5.1?

I First flash any Froyo leak of your choice (from here SBF - Service Flash - all files + fixed sbf + Bootloaders - xda-developers)

II Turn USB Debugging ON

III Root via SuperOneClick

IV Reboot

V Install 2nd Init Recovery Installer 1.4 (from here [APP] 2ndInit Recovery Installer v1.4 [Updated: 7-May-2011] - xda-developers)

VI Turn USB Debugging OFF

VII Reboot your device 2 times

VIII Copy CM7 Beta 5.1, Google Apps 2.3.4 (market, gtalk, etc.) and wakeup_fix.zip to your SD Card

IX Reboot your device, when the blue led lights at Motorola logo, press Volume Down to enter Bootmenu

X
Go to "Set Default Bootmode" then select [2ND INIT BOOT]

XI Go to "[Custom Recovery] start"

XII Select "wipe cache partition" then "wipe data/factory reset"

XIII Select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", then select "cyanogen_jordan-ota-beta5.1.zip"

XIV Select "choose zip from sdcard" then select "gapps-gb-20110503-signed.zip"

XV Select "choose zip from sdcard", then select "wakeup_fix.zip"

XVI Select "+++++Go Back++++++" then "reboot your system now"

Now wait and CM7 will be loaded.

FAQ:

1) What SBF version to use when flashing CM7?

I'm using 3.4.2-177 Nordic, Quarx (the developer of the ROM) uses 3.4.3-11 UK, but you can use any Froyo leak of your choice. Personally I recommend one of these two.

2) My market is not downloading/installing any program. What to do?

- Just log in Google Talk. Seriously. If this don't solve your problem, close any service from google and clear the cache from market and gtalk. If the problem persists, you can try to go to Custom Recovery and clear the cache from there, but you will lose any configuration made for all your other programs.

3) Flashed CM7 (or any other ROM) now i'm stuck at Motorola logo. What to do?

Go to Custom Recovery then clear cache. If the problem persists, you can try to wipe dalvik cache (in advanced) too. The next boot will take some time to build dalvik cache again. If you don't have Custom Recovery for some reason, power off your phone, press and hold Volume Down + Power to go to Stock Recovery (only to clear cache/wipe data). Use Volume Up + Volume Down to show the options at Stock Recovery.

4) Can I restore my phone to send it to warranty after flashing CM7?

You can in these two situations

a. You have a full SBF of your original ROM (for carriers that already released 2.2 is very easy to find one)

b. You have a nandroid backup AND a fixed SBF of the version you need.

5) How to install CM7 and keep downgrade-ability? (Froyo or Eclair)

If you don't flash the full SBF, your downgrade-ablility is fine. Here's the safe steps to install CM7 to keep your downgrade-ability:

a) Copy nandroid backup of 3.4.2-177 to your sdcard. Uncompress it in the folder clockworkmod/backup/ of your sdcard, create this if needed.

b) Turn USB Debug on

c) Root via SuperOneClick

d) Disable USB Debugging

e) Install Custom Recovery

f) Reboot

g) Go to app System Recovery then install Recovery and Reboot Recovery

h) In Custom Recovery, go to "backup and restore", then "Backup". This will take some time, your backup will be at /clockworkmod/backup. Copy it to a safe place.

i) Still in recovery, go to "backup and restore", "restore", and select the nandroid backup of 3.4.2-177-005 (not your backup!)

j) Reboot your system and immediately press and hold Volume Up to enter Bootloader Mode (if you couldn't enter, remove the battery, wait 10s, put it again with Power and Volume Up pressed)

k) Flash Fixed SBF of 3.4.2-177 via RSD Lite.

l) Now go to question 2 and do all the process to install CM7.

If you want to go back to your original ROM

l) Turn off USB Debuging

m) Copy your nandroid backup to sdcard, put it in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup (must be a folder inside backup)

m) Reboot phone in Bootmenu (Volume Down when the blue led lights at Motorola logo) then go to Custom Recovery

n) Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache (in advanced)

o) Choose "backup and restore", "restore", and select your eclair nandroid backup. If your backup doesn't show in this screen, is most likely you placed it in the wrong folder.

p) Reboot your system and immediately press and hold Volume Up to enter Bootloader Mode.

q) Flash the Fixed SBF of your original ROM. Now start from Step 2 of the procedure.

8) Can't connect to my wireless network.

Tap and hold the SSID of the network and select Forget

Download Links:

Cyanogen Mod7 for Defy: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Froyo Roms : sbf:defy [And Developers]

Superoneclick : Special version SuperOneClick:root froyo/2.51 easily! - xda-developers (attachments)

RSD Lite 4.9 : SBF - Service Flash - all files + fixed sbf + Bootloaders - xda-developers (attachments)

2init for Defy: [APP] 2ndInit Recovery Installer v1.4 [Updated: 7-May-2011] - xda-developers (attachments)

Original Thread:

http://http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913709

good budy. a job well done. I have a Nokia C3-00 running symbian s40 5th edition. any idea on how to upgrade it pls help me on this.

Good and detailed guide...

Just like to add one comment to the below step..

[quote name='St.John']
I First flash any Froyo leak of your choice (from here SBF - Service Flash - all files + fixed sbf + Bootloaders - xda-developers)

If you are on Eclair 2.59 (Most stock firmware for Defys in India) and if u flash Korean froyo through RSD lite sbf flash method ... U WILL BRICK UR PHONE. Its simple to unbrick..
Launch RSD lite and connect ur phone in bootloader mode (Power + vol up) and FLASH UR STOCK ROM Retail INDIA SBF (Refer sbf:defy [And Developers])

If u flash other leaked stock Froyos (T-Mobile or UK or Nordic) through RSD lite u will lose downgrade ability / and or brick ur phone (Use method detailed in step 5)

shashank_r_t said:
Good and detailed guide...

[quote name='St.John']

If you are on Eclair 2.59 (Most stock firmware for Defys in India) and if u flash Korean froyo through RSD lite sbf flash method ... U WILL BRICK UR PHONE. Its simple to unbrick..
Launch RSD lite and connect ur phone in bootloader mode (Power + vol up) and FLASH UR STOCK ROM Retail INDIA SBF (Refer sbf:defy [And Developers])

If u flash other leaked stock Froyos (T-Mobile or UK or Nordic) through RSD lite u will lose downgrade ability / and or brick ur phone (Use method detailed in step 5)
Thanks for pointing out...

But for the goodness gingerbread brings this is worth the shot... and a Quadrant score of 2100+:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

fshaharyar said:
good budy. a job well done. I have a Nokia C3-00 running symbian s40 5th edition. any idea on how to upgrade it pls help me on this.
can yo please elaborate... Upgrade???

[quote name='St.John']

But for the goodness gingerbread brings this is worth the shot... and a Quadrant score of 2100+:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

Completely agree dude.. :) :) Upgrading to GingerBread definitely worth it..

In no way I meant to discourage others from upgrading to Gingerbread.. It was meant to be an alert ... coz normally first time users do commit the mistake of direct flashing leaked froyos (atleast I did :p) the phone gets bricked and the solution is not clearly documented ..

Better inform them than to lose downgrade ability ... :p

Cheers,
Shashank

St.John said:
[quote name='shashank_r_t']Good and detailed guide...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

can yo please elaborate... Upgrade???
want to step it up to symbian S40 6th edition which has just come out this year.

Unable to root, my defy is on Eclair 2.59 and i have tried superOneclick and Z4root.

PLease let mw know what else i can try.

awaiting response on Nokia C3-00 and one more thing I have a HTC dopod C720W with windows 6.0 running on it. how can I upgrade it to 6.5 windows on it.

^thanks, i tried this again and it worked this time....must have done something stupid first time around.

I need some help again,

I am on rooted Eclair 2.59, which SBF should i flash to maintain downgrade-ablility and save my phone for bricking.

voltas said:
^thanks, i tried this again and it worked this time....must have done something stupid first time around.
I need some help again,
I am on rooted Eclair 2.59, which SBF should i flash to maintain downgrade-ablility and save my phone for bricking.
Downgrade ability is not based on any specific SBF but on the method used for flashing.
Basically if u go Nandroid + Fixed SBF route ur downgrade ability is maintained irrespective of the SBF u use.

Follow method in point no 5 in the original post.
Download Nandroid (and not full SBF) of ur ROM (I have tried UK & Nordic ROMS)
Flash it using back up and restore in clockwork recovery
Download fixed SBF of the SAME rom whose Nandroid u downloaded
Flash this SBF using RSD Lite

Fixed SBFS are normally less than100 MB whereas full SBFs are in 200-300Mb range.

Cheers,
Shashank

Donot flash the Korean SBF, it indeed bricks the mobile. I used 3.4.2-177 nordic deblur to install CM7. If you brick your phone, please note that flashing a3 or 4 time will drain the battery. When the phone is bricked, it will not switch on, nor boot into bootmenu or recovery. It will be detected in RSD Lite. Also you will see the white LED at the top. As long as your phone is detected by RSD, it is not completely bricked.

Back