How to make bathroom flooring anti-slip?

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled
I have big tiles as the bathroom flooring. These tiles are 'sugar' type meaning they already have irregular surface. However, these are still hella slippery. I'm seeing these tiles everywhere (Like gym, mall etc).

How to make them less slippery. I have heard that we can do acid etching but dunno what kind acid we need and how to do it. Then there are anti slip tapes. But reviews say that these don't last.

i have infact recently purchased some anti-slip mats as also suggested by @kalph09 above for our bathrooms, and will be testing them over the next few days.

I have the old styles tiles so no slippery issues. But new societies install those new gen tiles which when dry feels grippy but when wet feels very slippery and obviously bathroom accidents..

I have heard that we can do acid etching but dunno what kind acid we need and how to do it.
If they're vitrified tiles acid won't do anything. This is the reason I installed them in my flats as then acid can be used to clean them better than the earlier mosaic tiles.

Then there are anti slip tapes. But reviews say that these don't last.
That is one possibility. Replace them as they wear out. Choose a colour that masks the dirt because they will get gross.

The anti-slip mats are good. But very difficult to maintain clean. Especially the under side with all the suction cups are constantly wet, and tend to stink in a few days. You have to dry them at least once a day to ensure this doesn't happen frequently.

I have the old styles tiles so no slippery issues. But new societies install those new gen tiles which when dry feels grippy but when wet feels very slippery and obviously bathroom accidents..
Exactly. Old tiles feels slippery when dry but become grippy when wet. And it's opposite for new tiles.

As far as am aware, acid wash should be avoided if you live in a multi-story apartment. It will eat through the tile gaps and cause leaks to the lower floor.
It's for the bathroom which is already on the ground floor and we have done extra waterproofing underneath the tiles. So I think I'm eligible for it.

You can start with anti-slip mats with suction cups. They will look ugly but serves the purpose.
i have infact recently purchased some anti-slip mats as also suggested by @kalph09 above for our bathrooms, and will be testing them over the next few days.
The anti-slip mats are good. But very difficult to maintain clean. Especially the under side with all the suction cups are constantly wet, and tend to stink in a few days. You have to dry them at least once a day to ensure this doesn't happen frequently.
That's right. It's won't look pretty plus yeah, it'll be a nightmare to clean it. Bathroom is big as it's a combined one.

If they're vitrified tiles acid won't do anything. This is the reason I installed them in my flats as then acid can be used to clean them better than the earlier mosaic tiles.

That is one possibility. Replace them as they wear out. Choose a colour that masks the dirt because they will get gross.
My guess, the tiles aren't vitrified as they have sugar finish. Still I'll check.

This is what I had in mind. It's hardly Rs. 200. But getting them here is difficult. Indian amazon has them but they either have bad reviews or price is exorbitant.
Screenshot_2.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
That's right. It's won't look pretty plus yeah, it'll be a nightmare to clean it. Bathroom is big as it's a combined one.

for the same reason i also ordered a couple of mats without these suction cups, to see which ones will hold-up better & will be more convenient, my idea being to roll them up after use or/and put them out in the sun.

My guess, the tiles aren't vitrified as they have sugar finish. Still I'll check.
I think they are vitrified. They won't absorb any liquids.
This is what I had in mind. It's hardly Rs. 200. But getting them here is difficult. Indian amazon has them but they either have bad reviews or price is exorbitant.
View attachment 154842

How about these?

Something else that is invisible

Check the channel

See if you can get a sample and try over a small area

If they're vitrified tiles acid won't do anything.
Vitrified tiles are pretty common, but the danger is that acid will go between the tiles. The adhesive between the tiles is generally not as impermeable as the tile itself. There are treatments like white cement, epoxy etc that are to be done after acid washes, but they are difficult to get right i.e. not leave any gaps.

Keep a pair of rubber slippers outside the bathroom and make a habit of wearing them. Problem solved.
I don't wear slippers in the house. I keep a towel or cloth outside the door to dry my feet after coming out of the bathroom.
Vitrified tiles are pretty common, but the danger is that acid will go between the tiles. The adhesive between the tiles is generally not as impermeable as the tile itself. There are treatments like white cement, epoxy etc that are to be done after acid washes, but they are difficult to get right i.e. not leave any gaps.
Agreed, but it's a diluted solution from a spray bottle. I'm talking about removing bird droppings in the balcony. This was in the days before we got a net and solved the problem for good.

Makes me wonder what this stuff is. Little digging and i found this

Cure time for the other two options is in days leaving us with PMMA.

It's known as PMMA floor resin.

As for forever chemicals, if you use acrylic paint on your walls it's got it too.

It is used in dentistry and orthopaedics too.

I actually bought oxen. But never tried it. Felt lazy, and was never sure if I would do it right. The bottle is probably expired though :. Will try to try tomorrow.

Do you suppose it will make harder to clear the tiles?
Clean you mean? Check the third product of this link, there is something called 'oxon technology booster'

That may be how they want you to clean/maintain the tiles after applying it.

So there is a special cleaner to use. Hidden cost? talk to them and confirm.

The product is old. It's odd that it's not known.
Must have recently got out of patent so they can make it here. I think this product has been available in India for a few years now.

Last edited:
Back