How to/Should resign asap or serve notice period?

nRiTeCh

Skilled
Just curious as to what is the usual way of resigning to follow?

Should we first hunt and qualify for a new job before resigning or should we first resign and during that period keep hunting for another good job?

And once we say resign, manager becomes our slave and offers us perks, raise etc. (bribe), so how to tackle that and still not to get distracted and be strong on our decision?

Asking this as my friends sister is very frustrated by her job. Since more than a month now her manager is been very rude with her and makes her cry every alternate day and is acting very partial with her on any decision or issue. She is politically ill-treated. He insults and taunts her in front of everybody. He clearly tells her she is getting into his head. :mad:

She is working their for more than a year now. Have been honest in everything incl. leaves, work, project deadlines etc. HR staff is useless as all act on the part of that manager.:rage: So nowhere to approach inside the co.

If she leaves in a haste that manager may not issue her relieving letter. So she has to serve a notice period. But again while resigning she may be bombarded by perks and raises etc. or may be he'll ask her to leave asap. Don't know hows he going to negotiate on this. Hence she is totally confused. :confused:

She doesn't even feel like going to office but she goes to work helpless and in compulsion, uninterested and just for earning livelihood. :(
She doesn't want to leave the job due to financial issues but her family is asking her to resign and look for another job.

Cant reveal her companies name without her concern.

What can be suggested in this case?

If her company insists then she will have to do the notice period.
Also yes there is a risk of being job less for some time before she finds next job. So if she is ok with being without work for the interim period then go ahead. I feel it can be good sometimes as you can join the next company quicker.
Some companies dictate pretty long notice periods like 3 Months and that can be a turn off for some employers as they would not want to wait so much for you. That can pose problem for the candidate looking for a job change.

Should we first hunt and qualify for a new job before resigning or should we first resign and during that period keep hunting for another good job?
Ideally people search for new job and then resign. but if the notice period is too long; like 3 months, you can easily get a new job in that time. so resign and search also works fine.
manager becomes our slave and offers us perks, raise etc. (bribe), so how to tackle that and still not to get distracted and be strong on our decision?
its always good to get the relieving letter before leaving the company. once you send the resignation email, the timer starts (clearly specify the last working day in the resignation letter). on the issue of tackling such thing the boss; its very easy. Just tell what ever comes to mind. one of my friend was telling everyone that he will start farming in his villege. And there cannot be a counter argument to that.:p usually you can say "personal issues".

99% of the time people resign their managers and not the organization. And there are truly some asshole managers out there in India. :) Its always best to change the company instead of suffering everyday.

99% of the time people resign their managers and not the organization. And there are truly some asshole managers out there in India. :) Its always best to change the company instead of suffering everyday.

Spot On. Know a friend who resigned just because his manager was worst.

Yeah agreed that organizations are good, its just the managers who suck and coz of which the whole organization is hated publicly and this company isnt recommended anywhere else by the sufferers.

In this scenario we suggested her to escalate the issue to the HQ HR team who 'll definitely kick some ass of that manager. But dont know if she is willing to go that way. We cannot force.

Escalating such harrassment will be the best thing to do as the manager will continue doing this on others if not for her. Also, if she likes the company and her work there, its strongly adviced to excalate this and get a release and get into another project. Running away from difficulties is not the ideal solution everytime. You might face the same thing in the other company as well. If so, what will u do? run away from there too?

Yeah agreed that organizations are good, its just the managers who suck and coz of which the whole organization is hated publicly and this company isnt recommended anywhere else by the sufferers.

In this scenario we suggested her to escalate the issue to the HQ HR team who 'll definitely kick some ass of that manager. But dont know if she is willing to go that way. We cannot force.
It's a risk to carry on there when the people within the organization don't support you especially the HR. Better to look out for another job ASAP and resign this one citing personal reasons.

Escalating such harrassment will be the best thing to do as the manager will continue doing this on others if not for her. Also, if she likes the company and her work there, its strongly adviced to excalate this and get a release and get into another project. Running away from difficulties is not the ideal solution everytime. You might face the same thing in the other company as well. If so, what will u do? run away from there too?

Doesn't matter as this is her 2nd project and this manager is common for all projects no matter what. Only TLs are assigned for every project unfortunately they too suck!! Somebody have definitely bad-mouthed about her when she was on leave some months back and since then all this shit is happening and even her friends have left her and formed another group. And as we know its cheap politics and not possible in office to ask everyone or even someone who did this shit behind cause nobody want to fall prey to any issue. So its like either suffer or move on or if possible fight all the odds!!

Doesn't matter as this is her 2nd project and this manager is common for all projects no matter what. Only TLs are assigned for every project unfortunately they too suck!! Somebody have definitely bad-mouthed about her when she was on leave some months back and since then all this shit is happening and even her friends have left her and formed another group. And as we know its cheap politics and not possible in office to ask everyone or even someone who did this shit behind cause nobody want to fall prey to any issue. So its like either suffer or move on or if possible fight all the odds!!
Looks like she has not many options then.

Ask her to look for a job starting immediately and resign once she gets an offer. As you said, she needs the money for her livelyhood, its safer to be in the job and getting another rather than resigning upfront.

And once she ressigns, she can live a queens life and she doesnt have to bother those asshats anyways.

Post resignation, time, in an office is literal harassment in India. One is literally at loggerheads with the line managers, and at war with HR. Such a malpractice, dished out as a de facto.

lets think of it as this way... if you put some value on each head that the company is going to loose when someone resigns. then the manager will definitely will have more value. so if they have to choose between two, they will fire your friend. the best possible scenario here is that both of them get fired.

if you are expecting that only that manager will be fired. then you are wrong.

Thats why I suggested that she should find a new company.

Most "good" companies will conduct exit interviews to understand the cause of attrition. These interviews would be conducted by the HR and not the manager, the feedback is then passed on to the Manager. You should highlight the reasons, but try to leave on as good terms as possible. Companies do check references and contact previous employers to check on new hires and it would be better if they get a positive feedback from your current employer.

As a side point, it is incorrect to blame all managers squarely for everything that is wrong. If your manager, TL and colleagues/friends are all not behaving well with you, maybe it is time to introspect whether you are the real problem.

It is also true that many exit interviews are hogwash. The senior is always considered more valuable than the junior, from HR point of view. It is also expected that juniors complain on seniors. AFAP leave on good terms with colleagues; in these times when jobs are changed regularly, we really don't know when, where & with who we will end up working!

^^
Nothing really is done with those exit interviews, unless the company is facing extreme attrition. Management always supports management.

Same thing happend to me some months back my manager was a total b**ch. After i resigned i was not even asked once why i was leaving i worked there for 3 years and even the HR did not bother to ask me the reason. There are only a handful of companies in India which value and keep their employes happy and its always good to find a job before you're resigning. I did resign in rage i was all feed up and wanted to kill the whole management team :). I was sitting at home for 3 months before i got my new job which i think was a mistake i did i should have got a job offer in hand before resigning. so its definately better to find a new job before resigning.

Well, my 2 paisa ...

A managers primary concern is getting stuff done and guess what, his obligations are more towards the company goals/project goals than towards appeasing the people working for him and he/she has a right to be displeased and angry when an subordinate is not matching his expectations. However a manager as to be careful how he is displaying his dissatisfaction. As long as he is not getting too personal or making derogatory, sexist or inappropriate stuff, it is fine for the manger to make it known that a particular employee is not on par even if it is before the whole team.

That said, If there is a genuine case where the manager is going beyond the line, she can take it up with HR. But credibility matters a lot here. I have seen people who are in people management roles like leads and managers getting fired for bad attitude based on complaints my subordinates, but the person complaining needs to have some credibility for the HR to take their word against the managers. No company likes to loose people who have been invaluable to the company and if she thinks that fits that category enough that the company would try to retain her when she resigns, then she should be try to sort things with the HR about this too.

As for your other questions, Whether to serve or not to serve notice period is not really a choice for the employee. Its the company/specifically the manager who is at a discretion on how to deal with it. Manager might ask her to stay for the full or partial notice period. In some cases, there might be the option of buying out the notice period. Her employment offer letter/agreement that she signed should have details of the options available to her.

As for whether to resign before or after getting an alternative option, it is up to her choice, In normal circumstances, I would recommend getting an offer and then resign. If its unbearable for her, she can resign and look for a job. But do note that if she cannot find a job before notice period is over or the company relieves her immediately, she many have to end up in a situation where she would have to explain to interviewers why she lost/left her former employment and she better have good answer to give them. Talking bad about the former boss is usually a quick way of losing the opportunity. Also she should be mindful that at some companies, former bosses or colleagues are called as part of the verification process to know whether the employee has any attitude or other issues.

Leaving all this aside, you should also consider the fact that different people have different standards when it comes to what they call harassment. I don't really know the circumstances of your friends sister and what I am not trying to say that hers might be the same type of case, but I am saying this only because I have seen some people (many of them girls) at work who whine at the drop of a pin. So you cannot always assume that its the manager who is at fault.

There was a girl at my former work place and for her, crying was an everyday drama and means to get co-workers to help her do her work. She used to portray her manager as if the person has singled her out and tormenting her. In reality all that the manager wanted from her was that she get her share of the work done. Though this girl came to work every day, she did not spend her time efficiently (wasted time on unnecessarily long tea breaks and chit-chat) as she was disinterested in completing her tasks and she wanted to leave on time without completing her work. When the manger was stern and criticized her attitude, she started portraying herself as a victim of targeted harassment and used to cry to get someone to take care of her share of work. This increased the workload for the other team members and soon even the people she could call friends distanced themselves because of her self centered and unnecessarily whiny attitude.

Even my sister has seen a few specimens of this type when she was working at Infosys. Heck, a classmate of mine has similar attitude problems and he could not fit well anywhere because of conflicts with managers and has changed jobs 8 times in 10 years.

From your own description there are two things that should be noticed and cause for concern. You said that she was employed for nearly an year, but her manager woes were only for the last one month, surely there were some reasons for that. But that alone doesn't say anything. Second and more important point, you said that people who were at one time close to her started abandoning her/distancing themselves. In my personal experience, that usually happens when a person has an attitude problem that others cannot put up with in the long run. Friendly colleagues might not be close enough to you to come and speak out on your behalf before managers or HR, but if you are a good person, they would not go to the lengths of distancing themselves and will support you even if its form behind the scenes

Finding a job and then resigning is the best choice, specially if one is concerned about their livelihood. I have seen instances where people have resigned before getting an offer and had to spend ~1yr looking for a job. As for perks/slaves after resigning, given the current situation between your friend and her boss, chances are less. But if it were to happen, will she be able to work with someone who as you put it is harassing her? I certainly wouldn't. It is not about strong decisions, rather if you see a problem now, how can you be sure there wouldn't be another tomorrow after taking back your resignation?

Yes, if TCS, Infoshit, Wipro etc etc makes 99% :p

Well, I've recently quit my job for pursuing a career in something that I am passionate about.

Servicing notice period totally sucks! The boss feels that bombarding me with workload will get me completing atleast half of the workload before I leave, my HR team is treating me as though I'm their stepson and my colleagues look at me like a fellow prisoner being bailed for life after serving a substantial amount of time in Jail.

All in all, it does suck. But have another job ready and have taken a few days of time out for my family while doing the crossover of jobs. Will take a short trip somewhere, enjoy and start with the new job. Peace of mind. FTW!

Back