How's Ola electric scooter

I'm looking for a family scooter only. Rizta looks good. Don't know if it's good for tall guys.

Own a car but because of poor mileage on City drives and a soft spot for ev going for electric scooters. Looking at value for money, even second hand ice scooters might satisfy my purpose of dropping kids to school and to buy groceries or going to gym.

I'd stay away from electric scooters till the combustion ones are available.

For me the honda activa seems to be the best specially the new fuel injection model under 1 lakh. Very cheap to maintain and superior reliability, I can even do the general service myself, instead of going to service centers for it and wasting time. It is still the number one at giving the most amount of metal in frame/chassis and body.

Mileage of Honda Activa? I had back pain previously with Activa
50 Kmpl on free roads (avg. speed 45-55kmph) and 45+ Kmpl if in regular jams and start and stop ride.
This is on my activa 5g.

It also depends on how you ride and where.
I'd suggest TVS Jupiter for better ride comfort TBH. Kinda regret buying activa just because of bad suspension.

I'd stay away from electric scooters till the combustion ones are available.

For me the honda activa seems to be the best specially the new fuel injection model under 1 lakh. Very cheap to maintain and superior reliability, I can even do the general service myself, instead of going to service centers for it and wasting time. It is still the number one at giving the most amount of metal in frame/chassis and body.
I had Honda Aviator scooter for 7 years. I own Ather 450X for 2.5 years. I absolutely disagree with what you say. In the last two and a half years, I did not even spend 2k for servicing 450X (single service per year). The battery is still at 99% capacity, I have 5 year warranty on batter where they replace battery if it goes below 80% (or was it 70%, I do not remember). There are owners of first gen Athers who are absolutely happy with their scooters and battery backup. A well designed and reliable EV absolutely trumps an ICE scooter in every department. 450X is faster, lot more stable, much safer, lot reliable, costs nothing to maintain and lot easy to service due to far less number of mechanical parts. I would never ever ever go back to ICE scooter. I am getting new home by next summer and there I am going to hook it up to solar charger. Zero fuel cost and close to nothing for servicing. I also have Pulsar NS200 and my preference is NS over 450X. When it comes to reliability, maintenance and overall safety etc. Bikes are at the top, then comes EVs like 450X and at the bottom of the barrel sits ICE scooters.
How's tvs Jupiter suspension compared to rizta, iqube
Take a test ride of Rizta, iQube and 450X as well. Rizta and iQube are very comfortable scooters meant for sedate driving. 450X is an absolute beast. Warp mode is seductive. I went to Ather just to try and ended up with 450X after 30 days. I was shocked at how bloody good these low Center of gravity scooters are at stability and comfort. Best part is the ease with which you can cut through traffic and narrow spaces.

Last edited:
I had Honda Aviator scooter for 7 years. I own Ather 450X for 2.5 years. I absolutely disagree with what you say. In the last two and a half years, I did not even spend 2k for servicing 450X. The battery is still at 99% capacity, I have 5 year warranty on batter where they replace battery if it goes below 80% (or was it 70%, I do not remember). There are owners of first gen Athers who are absolutely happy with their scooters and battery backup. A well designed and reliable EV absolutely trumps an ICE scooter in every department. 450X is faster, lot more stable, much safer, lot reliable, costs nothing to maintain and lot easy to service due to far less number of mechanical parts. I would never ever ever go back to ICE scooter. I am getting new home by next summer and there I am going to hook it up to solar charger. Zero fuel cost and close to nothing for servicing. I also have Pulsar NS200 and my preference is NS over 450X. When it comes to reliability, maintenance and overall safety etc. Bikes are at the top, then comes EVs like 450X and at the bottom of the barrel sits ICE scooters.

Take a test ride of Rizta, iQube and 450X as well. Rizta and iQube are very comfortable scooters meant for sedate driving. 450X is an absolute beast. Warp mode is seductive. I went to Ather just to try and ended up with 450X after 30 days. I was shocked at how bloody good these low Center of gravity scooters are at stability and comfort. Best part is the ease with which you can cut through traffic and narrow spaces.
absolutely correct india is ready for ev for two wheelers and public transport and EV trucks.for cars hybrids and biofuels would be the goto.

a few days ago gov has revised its ev policy i dont have the details but go through it and if current govt gets re-elected i am expecting in june budget we might have much better policies.

only gripe that you might have after a while is that prices will eventually comedown .Currenty i doubt any of the ev two wheeler company might be generating profits.

A well designed and reliable EV absolutely trumps an ICE scooter in every department.
Could be, I have yet to experience the EV,

but I have experienced very high horsepower engines and know them very well in detail how they work and all, perhaps that's why I am biased toward ICE engines.

The engines are in the game for so long that even with high number of parts, engineers have solved every single problem with them that can occur. The only catch with them is the timely maintenance and cost.

EV's are great but also has some downsides, range anxiety is a big one, battery will have to be replaced, The 5 year warranty on battery must also have a kilometer number with it. Even if you get a free replacement and use it for next 5 years, what about after that, I don't think they will replace it every time for free, at some point the user have to buy the battery and that is expensive.

Or there can be cases where the user running is low and they never have to replace the battery for the life time of the scooter. Like having a fixed route you take every single working day, EV does have an advantage, but then you also have to keep ICE engine at home in some other form for other long running tasks.

I feel these EV scooters/cars are in very early stage in India, only after 20 years of use or rather 3 lakh kilometers, one can determine a true comparison between EV and ICE. Because I know for a fact that every time when a new bore/piston kit which costs around 3.5k, installed in activa, it is set for another 1 lakh kilometers.

In car segment I think hybrid of both is the future, where toyota seems to be heading.

Could be, I have yet to experience the EV,
I had same thoughts that EVs are unreliable, range will not be enough, what about battery. These 2.5 years cleared all those misconceptions.

EVs are not in early stage. Ather launched their first model in 2016. Out of all EVs, their tech has reached that maturity. They accumulated mountain of data and have sold tens of thousands of units.

Their battery and range predictions are spot on. The battery life is incredible. Their tuning of brakes and suspension is amazing. The balance is perfect.

Coming to batteries, We are talking about lithium ion batteries here. These batteries have matured and are at prime. World has been using Lithium Ion for decades. On top of this, Athers heat management is so good that I have never seen the vehicle slow down or go into eco mode to save battwry. From company stats, Ather’s battery stays above 90% capacity after 5 years. Even after I charge if from near to 0 for full charge, when I turn it on twist that throttle, it generates peak power. When I have 99% battery capacity after 2.5 years, why would I worry about what happens after warranty is over?

You are talking about changing components and extending life. With EV, I don’t even think of changing a component (well, except brake pads and belt), I don’t even think of taking it to service every three months, changing oil, replacing worn out parts after 3-4 years, degrading engine. I do not have to worry about service center scamming me by replacing worn out parts with old parts though they bill for new parts ( happened multiple times with Honda). I do not have to worry about the engine vibrations that increase as ICE gets older, about loss in performance of engine that is very much felt after few years. I don’t have to worry about petrol price, no worry about going through that water logged road, no worry about mileage. When I have such less worries day in day out, week in week out, month in month out, why should I worry about what happens after 10 years if at all my battery goes below 70%?

Aviator never made me smile when I rode it day in day out. But every single time, I use the 450X, I smile. When I enable warp mode, edges of my lips reach my ears. My wife too never would go for an ICE scooter again and she loves the 450X.

I asked one of the Ather designers in a community day event how reliable the battery is, he told me that his scooter is either connected to charger or he is riding it. This is extreme use case of that battery. Still, after years, his 450x battery is at peak performance.

Last edited:
I had Honda Aviator scooter for 7 years. I own Ather 450X for 2.5 years. I absolutely disagree with what you say. In the last two and a half years, I did not even spend 2k for servicing 450X (single service per year). The battery is still at 99% capacity, I have 5 year warranty on batter where they replace battery if it goes below 80% (or was it 70%, I do not remember). There are owners of first gen Athers who are absolutely happy with their scooters and battery backup. A well designed and reliable EV absolutely trumps an ICE scooter in every department.
So after 2.5 years of use, your scooter's battery is still at 99%? That doesn't seem consistent with how li-ion batteries work. Judging by degradation curves with EV cars, you would expect a 5-10% decline at the least. Especially because there is an expected initial acceleration in battery degradation before eventually stabilizing. https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/

One has to assume that the BMS on that scooter is either incorrect or lying by design. Then there's the economics of a company replacing batteries if they go below 80% capacity in 5 years. Based on the same degradation curves, factoring in a hot climate in India as well, it seems likely that a majority would go below 80% capacity in that time. And when these batteries constitute a signifcant fraction of the cost of these EVs in the first place, replacing them like this would be prohibitively expensive, which makes me assume that there will be some heavy fineprint for being actually eligible for a free battery replacement. Or they just won't be able to honor it. But I could be wrong. I've never owned an EV or felt the need to.

So after 2.5 years of use, your scooter's battery is still at 99%? That doesn't seem consistent with how li-ion batteries work. Judging by degradation curves with EV cars, you would expect a 5-10% decline at the least. Especially because there is an expected initial acceleration in battery degradation before eventually stabilizing. https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/

One has to assume that the BMS on that scooter is either incorrect or lying by design. Then there's the economics of a company replacing batteries if they go below 80% capacity in 5 years. Based on the same degradation curves, factoring in a hot climate in India as well, it seems likely that a majority would go below 80% capacity in that time. And when these batteries constitute a signifcant fraction of the cost of these EVs in the first place, replacing them like this would be prohibitively expensive, which makes me assume that there will be some heavy fineprint for being actually eligible for a free battery replacement. Or they just won't be able to honor it. But I could be wrong. I've never owned an EV or felt the need to.
i totally agree with your point of lying .This could be Dieselgate moment .

For 450, there is an average of 10% degradation in 5 years. Li Ion in my iPhone is at 99% after half a year and I charge the phone once a day atleast and generates lot more heat. By your logic is this a lie? When battery in phone that is charged using a wireless charger day in day out (generates lot of heat) and is used every minute of every day is at 99% after six months. I do not see why battery on scooter cannot be at 99% after two years.

I lost the battery stats that were given during last service. Next one is due in December, will get the stats and share.

1713294748580.png

You may also want to see this report

1713295636748.png

Last edited:
Back