Budget Above 25K Huge Dilemma: HTC One v/s Samsung Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

Skilled
I'm quite surprised I haven't seen one of these threads already. Looking at the biggest flagship phones for this year (till now, and perhaps for the rest of the year from both HTC and Samsung), I'm looking to buy one of them. I simply don't know which one to pick.

- I love the HTC One design, though Galaxy S4's compact shell is great as well.
- I like Sense quite a lot, TouchWiz is okay. But it's the added Software tweaks by Samsung that make the experience quite amazing, if I am to believe the adds.
- The Galaxy S4 simply has a much better camera than the HTC One.
- The Super AMOLED display has it's advantages (Daydream, pure black) but the SLCD display is gorgeous as well.

As you can see, I'm pretty messed up here :D. Don't know what to do. Don't want to end up buying an UMI X2 (or a rumored Micromax Canvas A120) or something. Why would I do that?
- Priced around 15k
- 1080p display
- Quad core
- 2 GB RAM
- 13 MP cam
- Android 4.2.1 JB

Did you consider the Google (LG) Nexus 4?
being an official google device it is bound to get some extra love from the devs

I want to go for the absolute best. If I'm spending this much, the phone darn well be top notch for 2 years minimum (then I'll be working, so I can change again).

Top notch means all the latest thrills and frills. Not yesteryear's tech (Nexus 4).

Similar dilemma as you. Though I won't make this decision till when the new Note is announced.

S4 reviews, etc aren't out. So you can't say that the camera will be better. As far as software tweaks go. Sense 5 has also apparently been very heavily modded. http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...nt-smartphone-this-year-may-also-be-the-best/ Read this link to get an idea.

I would say go for the HTC if you want the drool factor and a solid looking device. The camera is supposed to take great low light shots, don't fall for the megapixel race.

I use a Note and most of those 'extra' samsung features are gimmicky and battery hogs. Maybe they are better implemented in the S4 but only time will tell. S4 will also most definitely have better battery life. S4 will most likely not be getting CyanogenMod if the grapevine is to be believed.

I won't go for a phone larger than 5 inch no way. 5 inch is already too big. That's why was considering the Xperia ZL. But want to move to the brilliant HTC design. It's so good!

Well, I hope you can increase your budget to ~ 40k.

Also, would suggest people wait for Nexus 5 (or whatever it will be called) and then take a call. It should be available in the US around June time-frame.

I want to go for the absolute best. If I'm spending this much, the phone darn well be top notch for 2 years minimum (then I'll be working, so I can change again).

Top notch means all the latest thrills and frills. Not yesteryear's tech (Nexus 4).

i was thinking of buying a NEXUS 4 and backed out for the same reasons you have.
well i don't know much about mobiles but one thing i can say that NO PHONE CAN BE TOP NOTCH FOR 2 YEARS considering the current launch scenario.
the rate at which companies are rolling out new models and the development of faster and more efficient processors,it can be easily predicted that Samsung galaxy S4 and HTC one both will not be android flagships for more than a year.
it is highly likely that Nexus 5 launching later this year will be a better choice for android users.also there is a rumor about motorala's X phone around june.
Another thing is ,none of these phones have been tested on with Android 5.0 so how much support and compatibility they will provide for the upcoming version of android is still uncertain.so i will suggest wait till google's I/O event in May.things will get more clear by then.also the s4 availability and price will settle a bit.
At launch you will end up paying lot of money for any of the phones out of these two.its just the start of mobile launch for 2014.there is lot more to come in few months."Sabr ka fal mitha hota hai".and 2 months is not that lengthy.

but if you really want to buy right now,my money will be on Samsung GS4.
reasons:-
1.its my opinion :- i feel touchwiz is kind of easy.i am no android power user.
2.easy repairability of the phone in case of accident.(2 years is a long time )
3.memory expandability.(32Gb is lot of memory on HTC one ,but still 11GB + 32 gb (mem. card)= 43GB or 11GB+64Gb= 75GB).even 16gb is a lot of memory,but provision to expand is good.
4.good camera.
5.Removable battery.(these are high end power consuming devices.you will end up recharging battery every 1-2 days.considering your 2 YEAR plan ,i will suggest it is better to go for a removable battery phone.)
6.its my opinion:-samsung is a trusted brand for me .i have TV,AC's ,mobiles , refrigerators,Monitors,HDD,SSD etc but never had any trouble with service or any of the product itself(like factory defect etc) .so i can say quality is more than O.K.
BOTH PHONES are great choose any one and you will not end up disappointed.[DOUBLEPOST=1366016628][/DOUBLEPOST]you can preorder HTC one @ 579 USD. means :- 579 *56=32424 (base price) with free shipping (TAX=0$)+ 12USD shipping to india via SNS.
11% custom duty( 7% base + 4% additional)+ 150

it will sum upto :- 36800INR.[DOUBLEPOST=1366016688][/DOUBLEPOST]below is the link to preorder contract free:-

http://htconeprereg.com/cell-phones/productdetail.htm?prId=41620

Well, for me a 1080p display and quad core with 2 GB RAM will be top notch easily for 2 years. These specs are already ahead of time.

Will look at more handset releases. July is the month of purchase. But I think this will be a long debate, between these superfones!

Wait for I/O to get the prices and the android scenario settled, else buy HTC ONE , it is one hell of a phone, for mind satisfaction read the Anandtech review on it.

Best thing to do at the moment is wait for Google I/O. Go for new Nexus.

Features of Sgs4 will be slowly ported to other galaxies.

HTC One is an ok device according to me.. Nothing worth dying for or worth the moolah.

Right now HTC One makes a better buy. It is simply brilliant. Not sure what would happen in the next few months.
It wouldbe like my case where i waited for the PS4, but it wasnt launched this year and rumours were that it would be launched only in 2014.
So i then went ahead and bought my PS3 and then 1 month later PS4 was announced...:arghh:

So iPhones are no longer in the race. I am honestly waiting for a new one. Hoping it comes with a bigger screen then iPhone 5 and maybe just maybe a fresher interface. I know big hopes but I feel it's the only thing I desire over the iphone 4. As for the choices given above I would go for HTC. Not only its the newer gen it looks like one too unlike the Samsung galaxy series which all look the same and I get confused between few micro maxes and the galaxy phones. They all look like brothers from different mothers.

@Switch

The rumors on next iPhone are so many that I is difficult to ascertain anything as of now. But I would not expect bigger screen with 5S.
But yes the HTC One is definitely sexy looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now HTC One makes a better buy. It is simply brilliant. Not sure what would happen in the next few months.
It wouldbe like my case where i waited for the PS4, but it wasnt launched this year and rumours were that it would be launched only in 2014.
So i then went ahead and bought my PS3 and then 1 month later PS4 was announced...:arghh:
Dont worry, PS4 wont hit till the end of 2013 anyway.[DOUBLEPOST=1366041411][/DOUBLEPOST]About iPhone5S, there are just 2 main rumors that makes it interesting, everything else is just .."blaah".. the only 2 interesting rumors about iPhone5S are, Curvy Display Design and iOS7 with new Interface.[DOUBLEPOST=1366041794][/DOUBLEPOST] Ahemm.. Hahahah lol :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back