Budget Above 25K Huge Dilemma: HTC One v/s Samsung Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

Skilled
I'm quite surprised I haven't seen one of these threads already. Looking at the biggest flagship phones for this year (till now, and perhaps for the rest of the year from both HTC and Samsung), I'm looking to buy one of them. I simply don't know which one to pick.

- I love the HTC One design, though Galaxy S4's compact shell is great as well.
- I like Sense quite a lot, TouchWiz is okay. But it's the added Software tweaks by Samsung that make the experience quite amazing, if I am to believe the adds.
- The Galaxy S4 simply has a much better camera than the HTC One.
- The Super AMOLED display has it's advantages (Daydream, pure black) but the SLCD display is gorgeous as well.

As you can see, I'm pretty messed up here :D. Don't know what to do. Don't want to end up buying an UMI X2 (or a rumored Micromax Canvas A120) or something. Why would I do that?
- Priced around 15k
- 1080p display
- Quad core
- 2 GB RAM
- 13 MP cam
- Android 4.2.1 JB

Out of curiosity what will happen if all cores are enabled together ? I believe that will mean worst battery life, right ?
Unless any app or game actually requires all cores I would not want them to be enabled and screw the battery life.

It's like in my Sony laptop I have stamina and speed mode and in latter the GPU is used and that translates into lower battery life.
It would also mean burn out, they would have calculated heat dissipation keeping in mind the 4 main cores, add some more heat to that, and you would burn a hole in your pocket, literally :p

For those who voted for Xperia Z/ZL and cheap Chinese 1080p quad cores, would love to hear your side too :)

I see this argument sided towards the Galaxy S4, but then the Voting results says otherwise.

For those who voted for Xperia Z/ZL and cheap Chinese 1080p quad cores, would love to hear your side too :)

I see this argument sided towards the Galaxy S4, but then the Voting results says otherwise.

I hope you know that recently Samsung has been sued for paying students/bloggers to write bad stuff about the One and good stuff about the S 4.. :cool:

I am using the Korean S4 for over a week now in office.

Screen looks like S3, good contrast, bright colors and as usual with the AMOLED screens the colors are little over the top. Not as natural as the LCD displays.
I personally hate TouchWiz . Its pure bloat. Like the clean look of android. For some reason there are lags. But i think the touchwiz version that is on my test phone is not the final release version. If you like the TouchWiz on S3, you might like this one
The quick settings and notification bar is too cluttered with on/off toggles for all those new features
Settings menu is also split. Not sure what was wrong with just one settings menu of android.
Camera has many options. But i guess everyone will end up using it in auto mode for most of the time. Cant comment on quality. Not allowed to take pics in office
The Finger Hover feature is pretty good. Initial speculation was that it was just a gimmick. But its quite useful while browsing and reading mails/msgs previews quickly.
Build quality is just like S3. It feels good to hold in hand and doesn't feel too bulky in pocket.
Not sure about speaker quality. Havent tried it at full blast.

If i got this phone i would flash a clean android rom on this. One feature i would miss is finger hover.
If you like the s3 and its stock software, you will probably like the S4
If you are not a fan of touchwiz i recommend Nexus 4 or new Nexus device that will come out later this year. It will be much cheaper than the S4.

I can't believe somebody just recommended Galaxy S4!

Only thing feasible right now is wait for a few more months and look at new Nexus device. This should put an end to all other debates.. Which are not leading anywhere.

End of discussion!

Or else no f(. ) ( .)d from Nigella Lawson today!

There is no point getting an S4 from India. The Exynos chipset always gets lesser love from developers, when compared to the Qualcomm alternative.

I would suggest waiting for the new Nexus. This might be my opinion but, I don't see the point in including 1080p on 5 inch phone. Anything above 330PPI can't be understood by the naked eye.

There is no point getting an S4 from India. The Exynos chipset always gets lesser love from developers, when compared to the Qualcomm alternative.

I would suggest waiting for the new Nexus. This might be my opinion but, I don't see the point in including 1080p on 5 inch phone. Anything above 330PPI can't be understood by the naked eye.
Marketing. How else you expect people to fall for newer models and "upgrade" their devices.

Out of curiosity what will happen if all cores are enabled together ? I believe that will mean worst battery life, right ?
Unless any app or game actually requires all cores I would not want them to be enabled and screw the battery life.

It's like in my Sony laptop I have stamina and speed mode and in latter the GPU is used and that translates into lower battery life.
Well since it is a custom rom . We will have the choice to enable all 8 or use 4 at a time .
This would make it more future proof, and the usual multithreading advantages

For 2 years usage i will definitely pick HTC One purely for it's built quality.

One more thing you can do is wait for the S4 launch and hold both devices simultaneously in the hands, pick the one which feels more sturdy.

I don't understand why people hate plastic body. I like it the way it is. I am using Samsung Galaxy S for over 3 years. My phone has happily accepted the tortures for over 3 year which includes dropping phone from bike at speed of around 60kmph, from 1st floor, in to water couple of times (believe me, nothing happened). It is still as good as it was before (functionality wise). Yes, exterior (except screen) shows how heavily it has been used. Whether it is Plastic, Metal, Diamond or material from other planet. It will show marks of usage. Remember iPhone 5 scuffgate.

One of my developer friend has seen it personally at launch event and he did not found it looking plasticky. He said material used is very good.

Ok, looking at hardware. It comes with the best hardware combination. Community support will always be there, no matter what they use, galaxy phone it is. Developer always showed love for the SGS. Even I will be looking forward to continue my dead project (Jetpack ROM) on SGS4. Samsung phones are always developer friendly (no matter whether they release source or not)

Removable battery, expandable memory are some must have things. The phone doesn't look that huge (like Note II). It definitely is going to receive good community and official support at least for two years. Haters gonna hate, I don't find TouchWiz that bad. If you are really annoyed with LAUNCHER only, go use Apex Launcher :)

Yes I know TouchWiz is bloatware, but cleaning bloatware is not difficult. ;-)

I would say go for SGS4. One is too good but SGS4 is just one step ahead.

The software features do go for the S4. I will definitely hold both phones in my hand. I hate TouchWiz and those UGLY Green TOGGLES btw.

And yes, the new Nexus. But rumors are soo confusing! Motorola Nexus, LG Nexus, blah blah

One thing for sure, if you decide wait, you will keep waiting forever. Happened the same with me. New and better phones will come every 2-3 month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back