Budget Above 25K Huge Dilemma: HTC One v/s Samsung Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

Skilled
I'm quite surprised I haven't seen one of these threads already. Looking at the biggest flagship phones for this year (till now, and perhaps for the rest of the year from both HTC and Samsung), I'm looking to buy one of them. I simply don't know which one to pick.

- I love the HTC One design, though Galaxy S4's compact shell is great as well.
- I like Sense quite a lot, TouchWiz is okay. But it's the added Software tweaks by Samsung that make the experience quite amazing, if I am to believe the adds.
- The Galaxy S4 simply has a much better camera than the HTC One.
- The Super AMOLED display has it's advantages (Daydream, pure black) but the SLCD display is gorgeous as well.

As you can see, I'm pretty messed up here :D. Don't know what to do. Don't want to end up buying an UMI X2 (or a rumored Micromax Canvas A120) or something. Why would I do that?
- Priced around 15k
- 1080p display
- Quad core
- 2 GB RAM
- 13 MP cam
- Android 4.2.1 JB

I repeat, its a totally unrepairable phone, so if something goes wrong with it and you do not have warranty, you will be in it upto your neck
It is Not totally Unrepairable.. It IS repairable, just the issue is the shortage of its parts... but this would be the case for under warranty.. on the other hand for Grey Market, any phone is a risk, specially after you know about the case with HTC One.[DOUBLEPOST=1366117767][/DOUBLEPOST]
Something goes wrong as in? You guys are scaring me!
Something wrong as in if you have some issue with the circuit board, power buttons, touch panels, etc etc.. the fault is the UNI-BODY and the way its assembled.[DOUBLEPOST=1366117853][/DOUBLEPOST]@comp@ddict Check this out

Last edited by a moderator:
Something goes wrong as in? You guys are scaring me!

Exactly why would anybody place faith in HTC One.. when the repair center and CC are of no standards at all, that is the question.
You prolly missed out on the horror stories regarding how HTC deals with its customers after the sale part is done.

And if a person is even considering purchasing a 40k+ phone, AND from an HTC stable.. i dunno how much of an effort i would want to invest in persuading/convincing to not be doing such a thing.
CC here in India is a joke with any firm, but one shouldnt overlook the obvious signs and must atleast go with the less riskier choice.

Because however super specs they have, their quality will be bad and customer service is non existent. Don't burn your money on these cheap chinese crap.

Btw for HTC One yes it is drool mall but almost irreparable and probably the customer service in India would be sub par.

Ever heard of the Oppo 5. Beautifully built and even launched in US. Blazingly fast and an awesome 1080p display.
Not all chinese phones are crap.:D

Ever heard of the Oppo 5. Beautifully built and even launched in US. Blazingly fast and an awesome 1080p display.
Not all chinese phones are crap.:D

I did read about it and i never said all chinese stuff is crap. I know teclast, ainol, oppo (not all in smartphones) etc are good brands along with others like Hinsense, Midea (not in smartphones). But most of them are. And even if they are not crap, many people who use android are always trying to get most out of their device using custom ROMs and these phones *might* not have developer support.
And apart from custom ROMs etc, if something goes bad with these phones then you do not have any customer service. Unless you are someone who changes phones like they change shirts, they should avoid the sub par chinese handsets.
But yes if some has been proved to be good then no harm in going for them.

It is Not totally Unrepairable.. It IS repairable, just the issue is the shortage of its parts... but this would be the case for under warranty.. on the other hand for Grey Market, any phone is a risk, specially after you know about the case with HTC One.[DOUBLEPOST=1366117767][/DOUBLEPOST]
Something wrong as in if you have some issue with the circuit board, power buttons, touch panels, etc etc.. the fault is the UNI-BODY and the way its assembled.[DOUBLEPOST=1366117853][/DOUBLEPOST]@comp@ddict Check this out

Was it gsmarena that gave it 1 on the reparing scale or something, a number they said never given to anyone, and they couldn't go lower or something like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the praise for a higher mp camera on the S4 and the gimmicky features. How many times do you actually use the phones camera NOT in auto mode?
And what are the photos actually used for? Facebook uploads or probably a A4 size print (once is a blue moon)..

At the downsized resolutions that we all use the clicked photos at, One's camera is there with the S4's camera for daytime shots and wipes the floor with it in night shots..

The only other phone hat is somewhat better than that is Lumia 920's..

Don't bother with the extra features on the S4. Most features are made only for advertisements. Remember Samsung spends more on marketing than on R&D.

And don't even get me started on the build quality. HTC has ALWAYS made better built phones than Samsung and One is by far the Best that they have done. S4 looks like a MMX when kept with a One, even a Z/ZL looks way better.

And it will last you for 2 years no doubts. I type this on an SII, which will complete 2 years in 3 weeks. Still does what I require, is on JB, clicks fantastic shots, records and plays 1080p, plays whatever games they have on play store and lasts a full day on a full charge. What more can one ask for?

Really? What's the purpose of this thread but the debate itself? If you don't want to participate, please leave. Don't crap here.

LOL getting touchy are we.

Both the phones have their pros and cons. By now you should have figured it out. Here let me list them for you so that you can refer to them:

HTC One

1. Great looking and solidly built.
2. Great camera. (Don't fall for the megapixel gimmick in phones)
3. Superb screen with natural colours
4. Stereo speakers

a. Pathetic HTC customer care. Good luck trying to get the phone fixed god forbid anything goes wrong.
b. Lack of expansion slot (sd)
c. non removable battery
d. average battery life

S4

Can only tell you stuff from the face of it. Reviews aren't out yet. You will get a removable battery and expansion slot. Battery size is bigger and should be better.
It looks plasticky.

Well if there comes a custom rom that enables us to use all 8 cores at a time on the s4,
then there's no competition !
The unibody and fell od htc one is too premium.
As for me, i'd pick s4 just because of expandable storage and screen size

Well if there comes a custom rom that enables us to use all 8 cores at a time on the s4,
then there's no competition !
The unibody and fell od htc one is too premium.
As for me, i'd pick s4 just because of expandable storage and screen size

Out of curiosity what will happen if all cores are enabled together ? I believe that will mean worst battery life, right ?
Unless any app or game actually requires all cores I would not want them to be enabled and screw the battery life.

It's like in my Sony laptop I have stamina and speed mode and in latter the GPU is used and that translates into lower battery life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back