Budget Above 25K Huge Dilemma: HTC One v/s Samsung Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

comp@ddict

Skilled
I'm quite surprised I haven't seen one of these threads already. Looking at the biggest flagship phones for this year (till now, and perhaps for the rest of the year from both HTC and Samsung), I'm looking to buy one of them. I simply don't know which one to pick.

- I love the HTC One design, though Galaxy S4's compact shell is great as well.
- I like Sense quite a lot, TouchWiz is okay. But it's the added Software tweaks by Samsung that make the experience quite amazing, if I am to believe the adds.
- The Galaxy S4 simply has a much better camera than the HTC One.
- The Super AMOLED display has it's advantages (Daydream, pure black) but the SLCD display is gorgeous as well.

As you can see, I'm pretty messed up here :D. Don't know what to do. Don't want to end up buying an UMI X2 (or a rumored Micromax Canvas A120) or something. Why would I do that?
- Priced around 15k
- 1080p display
- Quad core
- 2 GB RAM
- 13 MP cam
- Android 4.2.1 JB

Sells figure of previous galaxy phones show that most of the people are not bothered by plastic. I owned Galaxy S2 and the back panels do not crack, they are in fact very flexible.

I agree with your point. Samsung does own 40% of the Indian Market and a very comparable figure worldwide!
However i should point out that it is because of this company that consumers are confused about which phone to buy. It makes no freaking sense to launch 5-6 phones in the same price bracket!
Apple (under Steve Jobs) did it right!!! One phone a year, and that phone set the standards for all others! Samsung crapped that trend! I prefer classy phones that last you atleast 2 years!
So what i want to say is that, Samsung should make a single phone a year ( okay if that is too less, then a single phone in each price range) and support it for the next 18 months or so. So that way they can save on their stupid sales campaigns and pay their R&D some more money! Also its high time that the market leader, switch from plastic to at least polycarbonate shells!!!

S2 is an awesome phone btw :p but still plastic at the back does not do justice to such a phone.

No hard feelings people. Its just my opinion! :)

Bang on target, the thing is with so many android phones coming out, the official support period of the phone is very short, look at s3 now, since launching s4, Sammy has almost forgotten about s3, no ad support for it or future software support for it(they might give couple of updates) this on their flagship device,

On the other hand look at apple, still giving ad support to the aging iphone4, not only that iPhone 3GS launched almost centuries ago is still software supported by apple and can be updated to the latest os.

Sure you will say I can root my android phone to the latest os, the fact is for a naive user who pays 40-45k for a phone he would expect the manufacture to support the phone for couple of years.

Ps: I am no apple fanboy and have infact never owned a iPhone, and am a currently using an android phone.

OT: In my office i am seeing almost 2 out of 3 girls owning either a S3 or Note 2. Never knew the big a$$ screen will be so popular amongst them. But yes then they have purses / bags to keep the phones so it is justified.

Bang on target, the thing is with so many android phones coming out, the official support period of the phone is very short, look at s3 now, since launching s4, Sammy has almost forgotten about s3, no ad support for it or future software support for it(they might give couple of updates) this on their flagship device,

On the other hand look at apple, still giving ad support to the aging iphone4, not only that iPhone 3GS launched almost centuries ago is still software supported by apple and can be updated to the latest os.

Sure you will say I can root my android phone to the latest os, the fact is for a naive user who pays 40-45k for a phone he would expect the manufacture to support the phone for couple of years.

Ps: I am no apple fanboy and have infact never owned a iPhone, and am a currently using an android phone.
Does iphone have dev support? No.
Do android phones have dev support? YES.

Even Samsung knows that...

I am pretty sure a layman customer who buys the S4 has no idea what developer support is and is mostly dependent on manufacturer updates.
There is world outside the forums and we form not even 0.001% I the people who buy these phones.
Moreover if Samsung knows that their phones have developer support should they start advertising that as well.

"Introducing the new galaxy S4....with jelly bean.....anyways you won't be getting any updates but you always have developers to bail you out."

I think you did not read my second last paragraph.

I am pretty sure a layman customer who buys the S4 has no idea what developer support is and is mostly dependent on manufacturer updates.
There is world outside the forums and we form not even 0.001% I the people who buy these phones.
Moreover if Samsung knows that their phones have developer support should they start advertising that as well.

"Introducing the new galaxy S4....with jelly bean.....anyways you won't be getting any updates but you always have developers to bail you out."

Exactly, "simplicity" the reason apple is where it is today.

True.

In my office, in my team, 4 Nexus 4 users are there. I am the only one who knows that rooting and custom mods are.[DOUBLEPOST=1367946527][/DOUBLEPOST]Our team is just 5 ;). 4 Nexus 4 and 1 iphone 4s. :D

I agree with your point. Samsung does own 40% of the Indian Market and a very comparable figure worldwide!
However i should point out that it is because of this company that consumers are confused about which phone to buy. It makes no freaking sense to launch 5-6 phones in the same price bracket!
Apple (under Steve Jobs) did it right!!! One phone a year, and that phone set the standards for all others! Samsung crapped that trend! I prefer classy phones that last you atleast 2 years!
So what i want to say is that, Samsung should make a single phone a year ( okay if that is too less, then a single phone in each price range) and support it for the next 18 months or so. So that way they can save on their stupid sales campaigns and pay their R&D some more money! Also its high time that the market leader, switch from plastic to at least polycarbonate shells!!!

S2 is an awesome phone btw :p but still plastic at the back does not do justice to such a phone.

No hard feelings people. Its just my opinion! :)

Samsung would be fool to run the business way you want them to. They are doing better than the competition. They don't need to change.
Why does it bother you so much that Samsung releases multiple phones? Samsung releases only one phone that's costs over 35k every year. That's the reason we call it a flagship.

As for supporting the handsets for 18 months, Samsung is best at supporting their devices among all the android manufacturers.

The stupid sales campaign is earning them so much that Samsung's marketing budget is more than HTC's turnover.

We get it. You would rather have a good looking crap phone. Whereas as I prefer substance over looks.

Apple has to take care of only 4-5 phones. That's not the case with android manufactures. And iOS updates have been so minor, I wonder if they even need to test it before releasing. ;)

Samsung recently released jelly bean for a mid range Samsung galaxy advance. This phone was released more than ,12 months back and it now costs only around 13k. So they are doing better than rest at supporting their devices.

And fact of the matter is, most of these layman do not even know the concept of updates. So let's not even consider no updates as an issue, eh?

Apple had to take care of only 4-5 phones. That's not the case with android manufactures. And iOS updates have been so minor, I wonder if they even need to test it before releasing. ;)

Samsung recently released jelly bean for a mid range Samsung galaxy advance. This phone was released more than ,12 months back and it now costs only around 13k. So they are doing better than rest at supporting their devices.

Mate you forgot the IPods and the iPads, and iOS 3- iOS 6 a minor update, I would not go as far as saying that.

Credit to Samsung for finally providing a update for it, but what now? I think this would be end of the update cycle for it.

Mate you forgot the IPods and the iPads, and iOS 3- iOS 6 a minor update, I would not go as far as saying that.

Credit to Samsung for finally providing a update for it, but what now? I think this would be end of the update cycle for it.
And you forgot Samsung had to take care of TVs, refrigerators, washing machines ;)
It would be end of update cycle for it because most probably it won't have hardware good enough for future updates. And I won't expect software updates for a 13k phone beyond 18 months.
If you do expect then you need to find and buy an iPhone that costs 13k.

Itne paise mein itnayich milega :p

And you forgot Samsung had to take care of TVs, refrigerators, washing machines ;)
It would be end of update cycle for it because most probably it won't have hardware good enough for future updates. And I won't expect software updates for a 13k phone beyond 18 months.
If you do expect then you need to find and buy an iPhone that costs 13k.

Itne paise mein itnayich milega :p

Really you now bringing tv, ac, shaver in this :|, really bro really? This the the absolute abyss of depth of a discussion.

18 months?, If I remember correctly it was launched in April 2012 and by the maths that my teacher taught me it does not make 18 months.

Also My brother has a iphone 3gs costing 13k, it is currently on iOS 6.1.3, yes the same os that is on the 45k iPhone, and I do except even the next version of update to be on it even though it is generations old in terms of hardware.

Also it was launched in June 2009, how old does that make the phone?

So itne paisai mai merko aur chayai boss, kyunki yeh mere khoon paisai ki kamai hai.

You should really start expecting more for your money because the last time I checked money did not grow on trees.

Also I think this thread is going way out of topic and instead of discussing apple over here we should get back to the one vs s4 topic.

Samsung would be fool to run the business way you want them to. They are doing better than the competition. They don't need to change.
Why does it bother you so much that Samsung releases multiple phones? Samsung releases only one phone that's costs over 35k every year. That's the reason we call it a flagship.

As for supporting the handsets for 18 months, Samsung is best at supporting their devices among all the android manufacturers.

The stupid sales campaign is earning them so much that Samsung's marketing budget is more than HTC's turnover.

We get it. You would rather have a good looking crap phone. Whereas as I prefer substance over looks.

Exactly, havent heard of htc /Sony giving updates regularly either.

:eek:

Ps: I am no apple fanboy and have infact never owned a iPhone, and am a currently using an android phone.[/quote]

is there any prominent feature ported into 3gs, 4 like siri , its just they are still able to brainwash people
you want to spend 20k plus for that phone with only 8 GB memory...iphone is now no were in competition in India and people don't bring in iPhone in this place again its just disgusting :p
look what's ios 6 update
1. Turn-by-turn navigation is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPad 2 or later with cellular data capability.
2. Flyover is available only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2 or later, and iPod touch (5th generation). Cellular data charges may apply.
3.Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Cellular data charges may apply.
4FaceTime video calling requires a FaceTime-enabled device for the caller and recipient and a Wi-Fi connection. FaceTime over a cellular network requires iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, or iPad (3rd generation) with cellular data capability. Availability over a cellular network depends on carrier policies; data charges may apply.
5.Offline Reading List is available on iPhone 4 or later and iPad 2 or later.
Made for iPhone hearing aids require iPhone 4S or iPhone 5.
6.Panorama is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation).

Lets not get into the apple vs samsung and apple providing updates. Remove apple entirely out of equation for now and think only about samsung and HTC.
In this scenario, i would appreciate if samsung would not disown their old flagships. I am sure they might not be but lets agree to a fact all these corporations are for our money. They have no intention that you keep that old flagship with you when they launch a new one. The easier way to make this happen is to stop providing updates to older handsets or provide it so late that some of the people will just sell the old phone and buy the latest one.
My brother uses an Infuse and told me to put Jellybean on his phone and he has absolutely no idea what on earth jellybean is. Just that it is latest so he wants. Now i have convinced him to stay on GB as because of his use, he won't even know what JB is and putting JB on his phone won't make any difference and will probably break things.

Samsung markets their phones great, even resolves to mocking competitors sometimes (all companies do). But today people are seriously considering the HTC One because of its finish and feel. These are probably the same crowd who have money to buy either an iPhone 5 or S4 or HTC One and these might consider One because of the premium feel they are getting on paying north of 40K for a phone.
S4 will surely sell like crazy, no doubt but HTC One might also be selling great i am sure.

Umm the S2 doesn't have JellyBean you mean? S2 is 2 years old and has JB.
All this stuff about Samsung not providing updates on 'flagships' is utter crap. My first generation Note has JB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back