Hunt for a Tablet.

My 2 cents

1. If you want to buy right NOW, either get a Galaxy Tab P1000 or iPad 2 (or Ipad 1 if the price of iPad 2 is way too much). I have personal experience with the galaxy tab and it is simply awesome, far from perfect, but really really good in many many ways. The iPad has its own share of advantages too I guess. You can call from the Galaxy tab, sms etc which you probably can't from the iPad. The galaxy tab is more portable and can nearly fit inside a decently loose jean's pocket. On the other hand the iPad's screen is much bigger and enhances the experience if you want a bigger screen. However, the iPad will soon be obsolete so it makes little sense to go for one. The iPad 2 can be considered if you can afford it. But then again Apple products are really restrictive and very difficult to deal with other computers/users etc. Here I guess the Samsung easily wins.

2. If you can wait a while, you can consider Notion Ink Adam (with USB port) or go for MSI/Asus/Viewsonic future tablets which may be able to run both Windows 7 and Android which will be a huge plus. They will also be bigger in size and thus not as portable, but almost laptop replacements, other than for gaming and stuff, and even for convenience for that matter.

3. Future tabs won't allow you to call or sms, like the Galaxy tab, another point in its favour.

4. Anything you buy today will need to be upgraded 6-12 months down the line, or in a very rare case in at most 14-20 months at the very very very extreme if you completely want to bang your head during the last few months. So buy right now only if you can afford to sell it and then buy a new one by end of this year or at most Q1-2 2012.

I dont want the tablet to make calls. text etc. :S. Just browsing needs to be done.

I just want perfect pdf reading, Videos, Casual browsing, 5~6+ battery hour life. Nothing else.

Think my earlier decision to wait for ipad2 to hit market and get a first gen ipad ~15k. is good enough. what say?

^^^ will take almost 3 months to launch according to my istore dealer here in mumbai and its going to be very pricey.best recommendation i can give you is get a ipad 1 from the grey market now coz judging by the ipad 2 prices at the grey market it hardly seems they are going to be altered soon given that they are selling like hot cakes.ipad 1 base model is going at 20 k in alfa and imo that should fit the bill plus its new and sealed.

I doubt ipad 1 prices will fall much. And also, it will get outdated. You would have better options from Samsung and Notion Ink for a similar price then.

If you can wait, then go for Notion Ink and stuff.

If it has to be right now, get a Samsung Galaxy Tab and be ready to upgrade within 6-10 months approx for the best possible experience :)

I have both Ipad and Galaxy Tab and galaxy tab is definately better all in one device. With ipad u need one computer/laptop for sync etc but no need with galaxy tab and that what i love abt it .Its a portable computer plus a phone.

m-jeri said:
I dont want the tablet to make calls. text etc. :S. Just browsing needs to be done.

I just want perfect pdf reading, Videos, Casual browsing, 5~6+ battery hour life. Nothing else.

Think my earlier decision to wait for ipad2 to hit market and get a first gen ipad ~15k. is good enough. what say?
Any chinese tablet would do that job. On the other hand give this a try I think it would be worth it.
eBay India: 7" Android 2.2 GPS Bluetooth Camera 3G Tablet+Case+8GB! (item 130498753050 end time 17-Apr-2011 13:36:40 IST)

^^

Peeps saying to avoid those.

Never seen/used a galaxy tab. thats why not so fond of it. Ipad i did love that.

Notion ink. Are they still up?. Heard lots of issues regarding that

m-jeri said:
^^

Peeps saying to avoid those.

Never seen/used a galaxy tab. thats why not so fond of it. Ipad i did love that.

Notion ink. Are they still up?. Heard lots of issues regarding that
Get a Nook Color and install Froyo on it to make it full fledged tablet. Even Gingerbread has been ported to it. Most VFM with good community support ATM.

Get the Ipad2 or Galaxy Tab 10" when prices become affordable.

What do you guys think about the new Viewsonic Tablets?

There is a 7" and another 10" model that runs both Win 7 & Android.

Has anyone here actually bought the original Viewsonic G-Tablet? While we all know that the hardware is great, threre were a lot of concerns about the handling of the UI.

There a few custom roms on XDA for this device. Have they done any good?

Satan said:
What do you guys think about the new Viewsonic Tablets?

There is a 7" and another 10" model that runs both Win 7 & Android.

Has anyone here actually bought the original Viewsonic G-Tablet? While we all know that the hardware is great but threre were lots of concerns about the handling of the UI. There a few custom roms on XDA for this device. Have they done any good?

If you are talking about the Viewpad 7 then it is same as OlivePad VT-100.

They both are rebranded Commtiva N700.

Price wise I think OlivePad is better because they bundle MapmyIndia with it which is pretty expensive.

When it comes to balance of features, performance & price I think OlivePad is pretty much unbeatable.

Only negative side is it doesnt support flash due to architecture/hardware limitations.

I was in the same boat as you are. Ultimately i purchased ipad 1 from letsbuy for 22k. Got it delivered in 5 days. Loving it so far.

Everything just works.

Back