Mac OS I finally get it about Apple fanboys

vivek.krishnan said:
Just double click for right click. ;)
Sub said:
Tap with two fingers simultaneously. The same works on Windows and many Linux distros.

OK may be I wasn't clear or I am plain out of context :(

Scenario is I don't have a mouse (the battery is dead or whatever). I know there is an option which comes up in the context menu. How do I bring it up on Mac using the keyboard? Like on Windows, I can either use the Ctrl - F10, or the the key between the Alt and Ctrl keys on the right side of the keyboard. Is there something similar in Mac? This is an actual problem I faced while trying to navigate through a Mac with only a keyboard and I was completely lost.

avi said:
I agree iTunes runs awesome in Mac. Unless you use, one cannot it really tell. And I don't find iTunes as a shitty software, it's a really good media player + library. Has the best interface & very easy to use. [But I do hate it's shitty restrictions :mad:]

Shitty restrictions = shitty software, IMO.

avi said:
And for those who say Mac is not geek and all, do note that Mac is built on Unix. And it has Terminal. Rest you figure out.

Finally. About time someone made this point.

Ok let me pull the leg of the unibody here....

Guys are you aware that the macs are the ONLY laptops currently made with the unibody process? (Don't say adamo, anybody knows is it available now?)

Its started from a round billet, rolled to a thin block (Rolling increases strength than cutting).

Then loaded to a CNC machine (Obviously everybody knows) cut in multiple times and laser cut for speaker holes (for 15inch & above) and many intricacies (like the standby light window) are added, later sand blasted, anodised and sent for assembly.

You all know these are done in the process just made in the aircraft frames!

You ask CNC vendor he would quote at least 20-25k for the unibody single part alone!!!! (I would do that,I'm in the business)

not just punching and bending some metal parts, drilling holes and covering with some extruded, injection molded plastic.

Damn! are there any manufacturing / Production Engineers here...?

I dislike apple for some of their business tactics. But I cannot deny, Macbook is marvelous. A lot of thought was gone in the designing of it, Apple made sure even small things are made right. For eg: the chiclet keyboard, its miles ahead from anything in non Apple world, the amazing large responsive trackpad, IPS screens with accurate color calibration out of the box. If I was using a laptop for long periods, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Macbook. Not to mention the amazing battery-life due to the OS. Its really stupid that non Apple companies are just blarring "X amount of RAM, or X processor, or X inches screen". Computer hardware today, is far ahead for what applications utilize, hence rather then pimping hardware features, if they paid attention to the smaller details then only there could be any viable alternative to Macbook.

Even with Windows 7, I don't think the power consumption of similar hardware is at par with Mac's OS, if they can improve it with Windows 8, it would be a fair fight. BTW I am talking about Macbook's don't see the worth of a Mac desktop yet :)

^i would have to agree with aces.

as he rightly said they play cheap but they do know their design and production well (lets leave the over heating MBP's aside for now) :)

Overheating issues..?

Some engineering again..

There is a difference between, trapping in heat with insulated materials and dissipating heat which is built up...

Everybody knows macbooks are made of aluminum! a good conductor of heat! the design is made in such a way that a portion of the heat is spelled out through the exhaust and some other heat is "dissipated" through the body! It just acts as heatsink!

Which makes you feel the heat but in turn increases the life of the components inside which is one of the reasons macs last longer...

I can talk a lot about the various thought out designs.

Its tough to understand the ideas until you might be an design or manufacturing engineer, or at least understand the implications of creating a product.

oof! Why my post always gets long when i want to explain some thing...

thirumalkumaran said:
Ok let me pull the leg of the unibody here....

Guys are you aware that the macs are the ONLY laptops currently made with the unibody process? (Don't say adamo, anybody knows is it available now?)
Its started from a round billet, rolled to a thin block (Rolling increases strength than cutting).
Then loaded to a CNC machine (Obviously everybody knows) cut in multiple times and laser cut for speaker holes (for 15inch & above) and many intricacies (like the standby light window) are added, later sand blasted, anodised and sent for assembly.
You all know these are done in the process just made in the aircraft frames!

You ask CNC vendor he would quote at least 20-25k for the unibody single part alone!!!! (I would do that,I'm in the business)

not just punching and bending some metal parts, drilling holes and covering with some extruded, injection molded plastic.

Damn! are there any manufacturing / Production Engineers here...?
There are a whole bunch of machined laptops out there. Most ultrabooks are unibody. A lot of them are aluminium alloys or magnesium alloys. They are manufactured by the same company - Pegatron. Apple wasn't the first to do it, but as always, they made it popular. If you want the pinnacle of manufacturing and material science, take a look at the Sony Vaio Z - made of carbon fiber. Thinner and lighter than a Macbook Air, faster than a Macbook Pro.

Aces170 said:
I dislike apple for some of their business tactics. But I cannot deny, Macbook is marvelous. A lot of thought was gone in the designing of it, Apple made sure even small things are made right. For eg: the chiclet keyboard, its miles ahead from anything in non Apple world, the amazing large responsive trackpad,

First of all, Apple don't make the keyboards and trackpads - and you find exactly the same Synaptics trackpad in high end non-Apple laptops too. Personally, I dislike chiclet keyboards and find the trend disturbing. But to each his own.

IPS screens with accurate color calibration out of the box.

All Macbooks are TN panels and colours are way off. The displays are made by LG.Display and AU Optronics and for a TN panel they are very good. However, they are still far inferior to the IPS displays you find in non-Apple laptops. The only IPS display in the Apple range comes with the iMac / Thunderbolt/Cinema display - featuring the very same LG IPS panel in Dell Ultrasharp models. Put next to an HP Dreamcolor Elitebook, Macbook Pro's display really falls apart spectacularly. But that is what you would expect comparing a 10-bit IPS display to a 6-bit TN panel.

If I was using a laptop for long periods, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Macbook. Not to mention the amazing battery-life due to the OS.

I think you are comparing Boot camp Windows vs OS X times on a Macbook. Boot camp Windows do not feature power management and the dGPU is enabled throughout. In reality, power consumption is much the same on a similar battery. E.g. Asus UX21/31 feature exactly the same battery to their MBA counterparts. Battery life is roughly the same, with Windows featuring a slender lead in some usage scenarios. It is just that Macbooks with 80 Whr batteries are usually compared to cheap laptops half their price which have 55Whr batteries. Something like a Thinkpad X220 can get you 20+ hours of battery life with the slice - unheard of in any Apple laptop. While I have mentioned X220, its IPS displays is far superior to anything on any Macbook.

I think another issue is that a lot of people here are comparing a Macbook Pro to cheap laptops like HP or Dell XPS laptops which offer similar configuration for half the price. The comparison should be laptops like Thinkpads, Origins, high end Vaios, Clevos, Maingears, etc.

I am a bit shocked at the amount of myths flying around here. There's a massive variety of non-Apple laptops and many of them are superb products. I have no doubt that Macbook Pros are superior to HP dv series or Dell XPS, but then, they are a fraction the price. Compare a Macbook Pro 15 to a Thinkpad W series and it's a different story altogether...

Got to agree with thirumalkumaran here. The unibody Macbook is a masterpiece of engineering. Watch:

[youtube]z8k4S6qY2_Y[/youtube]

thirumalkumaran said:
Overheating issues..?

Some engineering again..

There is a difference between, trapping in heat with insulated materials and dissipating heat which is built up...

Everybody knows macbooks are made of aluminum! a good conductor of heat! the design is made in such a way that a portion of the heat is spelled out through the exhaust and some other heat is "dissipated" through the body! It just acts as heatsink!

Which makes you feel the heat but in turn increases the life of the components inside which is one of the reasons macs last longer...

I can talk a lot about the various thought out designs.

Its tough to understand the ideas until you might be an design or manufacturing engineer, or at least understand the implications of creating a product.

oof! Why my post always gets long when i want to explain some thing...

not trolling but i do know the difference between heating up (normal) and overheating

do a little googling sire. juat a link to get you going :)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2339704?start=0&tstart=0

Sub said:
There are a whole bunch of machined laptops out there. Most ultrabooks are unibody. A lot of them are aluminium alloys or magnesium alloys. They are manufactured by the same company - Pegatron. Apple wasn't the first to do it, but as always, they made it popular. If you want the pinnacle of manufacturing and material science, take a look at the Sony Vaio Z - made of carbon fiber. Thinner and lighter than a Macbook Air, faster than a Macbook Pro.

I Think thats why they couldn't give better value compared to macbook air....

Some compromise in display, backlit keyboard, Thunderbolt if you count, touchpad (Not the Hp's one though) need to take place to maintain price factor...

And I'm pretty sure about NC machined laptops apple is the 1st, One of my known companies received the initial drawings for quote (approx 10000 components per month)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

moksh4u2 said:
not trolling but i do know the difference between heating up (normal) and overheating

do a little googling sire. juat a link to get you going :)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2339704?start=0&tstart=0

Sorry, AFAIK the next reply invalidates the query...

thirumalkumaran said:

Some compromise in display, backlit keyboard, Thunderbolt if you count, touchpad (Not the Hp's one though) need to take place to maintain price factor...

And I'm pretty sure about NC machined laptops apple is the 1st, One of my known companies received the initial drawings for quote (approx 10000 components per month)

apple does have great design but it also does fail at times. its human. and both sides of the coin must be accepted for what they are worth. being a fan-boy is one thing but taking a company on as a cult i another.

1) Let me google that for you

2) Let me google that for you

Apple does make mistakes. Its FACT. Face it.

thirumalkumaran said:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Sorry, AFAIK the next reply invalidates the query...

Man, from a light hearted discussion on Mac vs Wintel laptops, this has turned into a part bash up.

Are you the same guy who posted something about disgruntled apple employee. :no:

Now about thunderbolt, as much as I like the tech, I hate the fact that it wont be cheap. IMO, it should be properly standardized else for many of us, it wont be within reach.

Ok let me tell you about the Thinkpad. This laptop is the ultimate essence of what a laptop should be when it comes to reliability, build quality and performance. True it won't look as appealing to you Gaypple lovers who put style over substance and functionality. Now the thinkpad will butcher whatever crapple powered by steve's dearly departed soul can throw at it.

Damn! Is there anyone here with more common sense over pure fanaticism?

Ahh! more good news - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ing-in-Motorola-case/articleshow/11056485.cms

My experience with Apple:
I used my sisters Mac Book Pro for 2 weeks when visiting her. It was a harrowing experience and did not like it. But I think this was due to my own uptight nature towards M$ and considering myself a hardware honcho who can take on any Apple product head to head. Being impatient to learn and wanting things the Windows way pi$$ed me off even more, but I had too surf the web like errrm....10-12 hours a day, so it pi$$ed me off even more. I will not take away from Apple what they are. They have aesthetically designed products, which work and do the job damn well. Somehow I did find the platform more stable in nature.

Will I buy an Apple Product for computing: No.
Next time I visit my sister: My Acer el-cheapo Netbook with 2.2H of battery back up and a clunky keyboard will be packed along side my jeans and shirts.

:)

sunny27 said:
Ok let me tell you about the Thinkpad. This laptop is the ultimate essence of what a laptop should be when it comes to reliability, build quality and performance. True it won't look as appealing to you Gaypple lovers who put style over substance and functionality. Now the thinkpad will butcher whatever crapple powered by steve's dearly departed soul can throw at it.

Damn! Is there anyone here with more common sense over pure fanaticism?

Ahh! more good news - Apple loses patent case ruling in Motorola case - The Times of India

Hell yea ! Thinkpads have got to be some of the best laptops around.... They're gorgeous << In a weird industrial look fetish way :p >> , they work exactly as expected and just don't die ! Plus i think alongside MacBooks , the Thinkpad is the only laptop out there with a 'status symbol' attached. // Personal thoughts of course.

I get it why people buy Apple products but for me there is no tangible gain in going in for it !

^^ yeah! Mod Support !! Extra Ammo Pack!! Get ready to be Pwned!!!!!!!!!

The design of the thinkpads is so amazing. its simple minimalistic and an absolute beauty to behold. The thinkpad's design is based on a japanese tiffin box or something. wiki it please I am lazy. oh and years of abuse will turn your macbook's hot teenage looks into a gaping ugly fat woman with wrinkles. Look at how thinkpads stand up to years of abuse. My cousin runs an ancient T41 thinkpad now which is over 5 - 6 years old and still goes strong and looks new. His daughter who was born when he got the laptop grew up with it. Puking and throwing food, playing with it, dropping it, removing the keypad buttons and doing what small babies do to things. My niece who's 6 now uses it to play videos of shinchan and my friend ganesha on it. She uses it to learn about computers and uses it to learn paint brush. She talks to me for hours over skype running on the thinkpad. This thinkpad has stood the test of time and My cousin still uses it for his daily office work. he prefers it over the spanking new toshiba laptop his wife gifted him.

An apple laptop will work in an Utopian world but it will never be able to match a thinkpad when it comes to the real world with all the bells and whistles of the actual conditions of the real world. In short the Thinkpads are life proof.

Back